Giving up on Vortex for now

Deleted3897072User

• Replies 227
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

Guest deleted34304850

reductio ad absurdum is not a means to foster discussion. it simply derails everything. if that is your goal, you are doing a very good job.

Vortex is to modding as Windows is to computers. If you don't like Windows, you don't post incessantly on MS forum about it - you go find an alternate OS (mostly lol, some do). Despite that incessant screaming of a proportion of people, Windows still remains the most used OS in the world. Vortex may (and I make a leap of faith as I did not join the trial due to rl time constraints) become the most used mod manager! It's the first truly main stream software afaik to support 32 and 64 systems (yes I know about MO2 and NMM, but they really started as 32 bit).

I like Loot. Sometimes I have to move a mod or 2, but that doesn't make me want to stop using it. I like Windows 10. Is it better than XP was, dunno, XP was great for gaming. Do I want to go back to XP? Don't think I do. I do have friends that still use XP and regard 10 as garbage, hey, that's their choice, won't stop many people using it. Everyone has an opinion. And all are entitled to one. In the grand scheme, 1000 people (many of whom I reckon are heavy modders) have been able to 'evaluate' a brand new software for less than a week. Pretty early days imho. I wasn't modding in the early days of NMM or MO, but I'll wager many bad things were said about them back in the day. Hell, many bad things are still said lol. I'm sure Vortex will develop as time goes on, people just need to give it a chance.

I am eager to start using it, as I am sure are the majority of those not in the trial. Thank you to all those who are helping to evaluate and update Vortex, and a BIG thanks to Tannin and the Nexus team, who are striving to make modding easier and more accessible to the masses - a bit like Windows 3.1 did..... :cool: :geek: :ninja:

Vortex is to modding as Windows is to computers.

Except it not. Windows always had an "expert mode." Vortex is more like a console gaming. It is simple and when it works it is okay, but it is primitive by design, when it does not work you can't do a s#*!.

when it does not work you can't do a s***.

lol, I can remember plenty of times that you can't do that when windows doesn't work too! All day/night sessions fixing and reinstalling OS's lol.

Windows 3.11, the first love you never forget...

I know right! Alongside that illicit affair with DOS 6.2....

Wasn't 6.2 the version that was taken down for copyright infringement, and replaced with 6.21?

6.22 iirc was the end. As I'm not in software, it's all 6.2 to me lol

Except it not. Windows always had an "expert mode." Vortex is more like a console gaming. It is simple and when it works it is okay, but it is primitive by design, when it does not work you can't do a s***.

I find it super funny how some people refer to the previous feature as an "expert mode" when they can't even seem to give any sort of example of a reason they need it. Windows has had plenty of tools in the past that may have at one point or another been used by experts but later a better more powerful tool was created and eventually that previous tool and method would be discontinued and unsupported. I am sure people who were used to those old tools also couldn't let it go and probably swore up and down how that was the "expert" way to do it. It is a different and harder way to do it, but not an expert way.

Doing something the hard way when an equally as good method exists that is easier and achieves the same result, doesn't make the previous way "expert mode". Just like using a hand saw isn't more expert to cut down a tree than using a chainsaw. If you want to argue that using the hand saw makes you an expert, you just end up looking silly as people leave with 10 trees and you puff out your chest leaving with 1 because of how long it took you.

Expert mode in software to me is when you are given more unique options that you need to know more information about than your average user. Unique options meaning not to do something you can already do. There never is a good reason typically to include a harder way to do the same exact thing that can be achieved the easy way. Just use the easy way, you don't have to do it the hard way. You are not going to get better results doing it the hard way.

Jeez, I think it would be great if we can show this in a visual manner like do a little competition like the iron chef. Same load orders, who can order the mods the fastest and with the best results. A person manually ordering them or a person using LOOT. XD I think that would be fun, but probably an incredibly one-sided competition.

Well, anyway, this is going to be my last response on this matter, unless someone responds to me specifically. I don't really see any reason to continue this.