How To Rollback Fallout 4 Version (Steam)

DiabloInvictus

Apparently the Steam console fix to revert the Fallout4.exe doesn't work with the newest patch from 11/20/19. I tried the fix and the game crashes on launch with F4SE with the older exe. I put the current exe back in and the game runs, but I can't launch through F4SE until the update theirs. Seems several others on the YouTube link for this video have the same problems.

• Replies 91
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

Same thing. This is some bullcrap if they've screwed things up or purposefully made it so we can't roll back anymore. If Steam went down though I'm hoping maybe the depots were just corrupt or something.

Edit: Turns out the update screwed with Fallout4.esm and Interface.ba2, that's why the rolled back exe is crashing. There's a thread at reddit where some good fellow supplied the needed files, just scroll to the bottom of the original post:

https://www.reddit.com/r/fo4/comments/dzazrk/how_to_revert_todays_game_patch_for_f4se_easy_10/

Edited by SacredKnight81

I've found a fix for this on the Fallout 4 subreddit.

Apparently you'll need to replace your Fallout4.esm and Fallout 4 - Interface.ba2 files with the previous versions as well. There's links to those files at the bottom of the post. If those links go down, the comment from SA_FL has instructions on how to get them.

I've found that this fix works for me. Hope it helps someone else!

I can confirm the reddit method works like a charm. Smaller files and less rigamarole than the Steam Depot method. The only thing with this method is it's for game version 1.10.138, so if you haven't upgraded all your F4SE stuff to that version, it may end up being the Depot way. The Depot method is a handy one to keep in mind for other Steam games, though...

I've found a fix for this on the Fallout 4 subreddit.

Apparently you'll need to replace your Fallout4.esm and Fallout 4 - Interface.ba2 files with the previous versions as well. There's links to those files at the bottom of the post. If those links go down, the comment from SA_FL has instructions on how to get them.

I've found that this fix works for me. Hope it helps someone else!

Thanks !!!!!

Rollback worked for me (using f4se 0.6.17)

...Because looksmenu stopped working also after the f4/f4se update... But now looksmenu rework with your method... I can't wait for a looksmenu update.

You must rename the files entirely with the upper/lower cases also, because they come in lowercase else you can continue to ctd.

And set the steam properties for f4 to update on launch also.

Don't forget to backup the three originals files before replace.

Edited by zed140

The 'CTD' on loading looks like it's simply being caused by the file version of the Fallout4.esm changing from '0.95' to '1.00'. Wrye Bash bitches about this as well.

I fixed that, without rolling back the ESM or BA2s, by hex editing the new ESM's header version number back to '0.95'. So, for reference, that also works...

EDIT:

Also, again for reference, the files that I see being updated are:

Main

- Fallout4.exe (Version now 1.10.162 - was 1.10.138)

- Fallout4.ccc

Data

- Fallout4.esm (Header version now 1.00 - was 0.95)

- Fallout4 - Interface.ba2

- Fallout4 - Materials.ba2

- Fallout4 - Meshes.ba2

- Fallout4 - Startup.ba2

All these files had the same modified time and date stamp this morning (GMT)

For those with the knowledge, software and desire to go the hexedit route of the new Fallout4.esm, do the following:

1) Make a backup the Fallout4.esm file.

2) Open Fallout4.esm in you hexeditor of choice.

3) Make the following edits:

- On line 00000010 change the offset values as follows...

- - Change offset value 0E from '00' to '33'

- - Change offset value 0F from '00' to '33'

- On line 00000020 change the offset values as follows...

- - Change offset value 00 from '80' to '73'

These edits will change the header version (viewable in FO4Edit) from 1.00 to 0.95.

4) Save and quit

5) Start Fallout 4 and check. It should now not CTD on the main menu.

Normal disclaimers apply for the above. ;)