Download speed cap increase for Supporters and non-Adblockers

Dark0ne

In response to post #64111956. #64121471 is also a reply to the same post.

jameknec wrote: I can't download any mods. When I try to launch the NMM or download a mod with NMM it just... doesn't launch. Is there a fix for this?
ghaladh wrote: That's not the place to ask that. However, try to launch NMM as an administrator or reinstall it. It happened to me as well and I solved the problem by reinstalling the software. If you are using Windows XP or Vista, I suggest you to launch the program in compatibility mode or, even better, to upgrade your OS.

Had the same issue. Refreshed the page several times, opened and closed nexus and browser a couple times before the download properly prepared. I would bet there's something with adblocker detection that was causing my download to not start.

• Replies 394
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

Please excuse me using this forum but I'm almost completely blind, as well as ill. But I was worried about something and then stumbled across this post, surviving on 2K a month instead of 200K a month leaves me with nothing to give. So to be brief. I have wanted to say that Nexus always insists I have a ad-blocker. I use Edge (for the hell of it sometimes), Chrome, and IE. Mostly Chrome. The only "blocker," they all have in common is Ublock: Origin. Turning it off and even removing it, does nothing nor does completely resetting networking with "netsh", resetting browsers to factory default, etc. What's is funny is that Chrome on my phone and tablet sync their settings with each other and they alsio have the same problem which makes me wonder. I believe that although you think I have an ad-blocker, i do not. I do use one Verizon SecureDNS server and one openDNS server. I have both IP4 and IP6 running and routing. I get strange DNS logs and Kaspersky is very wary. I ask, can you enlighten me on just what you need to get your ads working and the ad-blocker message to stop? I know that there are other domains involved. So far I'm stupid. I can't get that ad-blocker message to go away, I've never seen an ad on your site. Ever! Even before I started using blockers. Even before I upgraded to Windows 10 so something else must be involved to break it like this, right? cation control, or something I'm overlooking I am blind. Can you point me to any docs "FAQ" for troubleshooting? Instead a page from a outside company "advocate anti-adblocker" website comes up. What do you think. Am I just an idiot. Yes I am but can you see it in your heart to provide or point to a FAQ so that when you click on the block window you don't just get a third party company which Verizon blacklisted for awhile that seems to be an advertising agency advocate and not your own website. Troubleshooting steps and/or mitigation would be helpful. Especially if they are easy to find without long searching,

In response to post #64087966. #64088311, #64089056, #64092636, #64102471, #64102756, #64103211, #64113171 are all replies on the same post.

silencer711 wrote: @Dark0ne, @Nexus Staff -- Have you guys considered:

1. Lifetime + PLUS :D ($1-5/mo)
2. Supporter + PLUS :) ”Pay What You Can”

These are options that can allow supporters to keep supporting while granting cosmetic incentives or special recognition within the community, such as:

1. Badge of Honor (Community / Author)
2. Title (Community / Author)

*Also for those who have subscribed to Premium + in timed increments (like 1/2/6/12mos)?

As a lifetime member myself, (and a bit of a ”shiny new things” hoe) I would donate even more of my time and wallet to support Nexus Mods. Just throwing some ideas out here for consideration. <3

----------------------------------
Removed Entries
Premium PLUS ($1-5 /mo)
Kaebus wrote: I would second this, especially for those of us who want to support the site beyond our lifetime subs. At the moment, the only way to do so (as far as I know) is in the long run by voluntarily paying monthly until we have passed the lifetime listed price lol
silencer711 wrote: Another site I use (not a modding site) offers that option and its something that I would endorse for Nexus Mods. I see a high potential for Community Funding via small membership bonus tiers like this.

I'm just one out of many people who would gladly support Nexus Mods beyond our lifetime memberships -- a ”plus” bit on top of what we've already paid for would be our way to consistently show our appreciation for everything Nexus stands for, while simultaneously providing recurring monthly ”income” toward Nexus Mods maintenance and upkeep costs.
LeonidasNerevar wrote: I'd like to third this idea. Without turning it into Fortnite, I'd be fine with seeing some cosmetic and title rewards for "Plus" supporters of the site. I'd be fine with giving $1/month for this upgrade. Perfectly fine idea.
silencer711 wrote: Bump :)
lyoko1 wrote: This may be a good idea for life timers, but not for normal premium.
It can be like "Active Premium" and "Pasive Premium" active meaning you are paying monthly, either by having a "not lifetime" premium or by having a lifetime premium and paying a plus, like 1-5$/mo as you said, and "Pasive premium" being a member that has the lifetime premium but chooses to not pay a plus monthly, still premium, but not supporting the site in a "active" way, maybe mod authors should be given the "active premium" whitout a extra fee(if they aleardy have lifetime premium) if they are updating their mods and publishing new ones? of course still allowing them to pay the extra fee if they want, reason being because in a indirect way a mod author is supporting the site by publishing new mods and updating old ones whitout paying.
Of course in any case this would be only cosmetic and more of a option to extra support if you have the lifetime premium membership aleardy.

Sorry for my Engrish, im not used to write in English that much.
silencer711 wrote: @Lyoko1: I agree with your input. Perhaps Lifetime PLUS ($1-5 /mo) is the better option here, considering that Premium is in its own category altogether.
I’ll also add that the option to “Pay what you can” (choosing between 1/2/3/4/or $5 a month) is up for consideration too.

You have some interesting thoughts here Silencer.

A way you can support us on top of the Premium Membership currently would be to contributing our Mod Author Donation Points fund via the Patreon (https://www.patreon.com/nexusmods). This is, of course, completely optional. And the funds all go back into supporting our Mod Authors.

As far as "enhanced" membership options go, it's not something we've got any plans for at the moment.

I am not willing to take the risk of turning off my ad blocker, but I do want faster downloads. I am willing to use my system for mining if it is opt-in with configurable cpu/gpu usage limits. Is that something that could be considered as another option?

In response to post #64087931. #64088356, #64092586, #64103331 are all replies on the same post.

Tomoxx02 wrote: Welp its a lie I still have 1mb limit on NMM
Kaebus wrote: It does say "starting this week" in the first paragraph of the article, so it may not be implemented for a couple days. Patience.
LeonidasNerevar wrote: "This speed cap increase is live now for manual downloads and will be rolled out to Vortex within the next two weeks." Manual only. NMM doesn't seem to be supported.
Tomoxx02 wrote: RIP, is Vortex pretty good and stable? I tried to switch some months ago but I found it pretty complex to do the switching, I have tons of mods in my NexusMM

Vortex is quite a bit more stable than NMM from my experience with it over the last year. it consistently gets updates that make it even more stable as well.

I whitelisted Nexus on my AdBlock for Chrome basically since I signed in because I wanted to support the site in some way, and even so I don't see many ads around the site. Right now, for example, where the ad should be, there's nothing, not even the "please turn off your adblocker" message. So even when my whitelist is working as intended, my experience on the site is hella clean and smooth.

Anyway, I was happy with the 1 MB cap, but that extra MB is very welcome. Thanks a lot for that, team, and keep up the good work.

I honestly think that 1MB/s for users with Ad-blockers is VERY generous.

On most download sites, free users are capped at 128kbps ~ 256kbps.

In response to post #64087931. #64088356, #64092586, #64103331, #64134186 are all replies on the same post.

Tomoxx02 wrote: Welp its a lie I still have 1mb limit on NMM
Kaebus wrote: It does say "starting this week" in the first paragraph of the article, so it may not be implemented for a couple days. Patience.
LeonidasNerevar wrote: "This speed cap increase is live now for manual downloads and will be rolled out to Vortex within the next two weeks." Manual only. NMM doesn't seem to be supported.
Tomoxx02 wrote: RIP, is Vortex pretty good and stable? I tried to switch some months ago but I found it pretty complex to do the switching, I have tons of mods in my NexusMM
Yggdrasil7557 wrote: Vortex is quite a bit more stable than NMM from my experience with it over the last year. it consistently gets updates that make it even more stable as well.

NMM IS NO LONGER SUPPORTED BY NEXUS
move to vortex its better

In response to post #64087966. #64088311, #64089056, #64092636, #64102471, #64102756, #64103211, #64113171, #64129041 are all replies on the same post.

silencer711 wrote: @Dark0ne, @Nexus Staff -- Have you guys considered:

1. Lifetime + PLUS :D ($1-5/mo)
2. Supporter + PLUS :) ”Pay What You Can”

These are options that can allow supporters to keep supporting while granting cosmetic incentives or special recognition within the community, such as:

1. Badge of Honor (Community / Author)
2. Title (Community / Author)

*Also for those who have subscribed to Premium + in timed increments (like 1/2/6/12mos)?

As a lifetime member myself, (and a bit of a ”shiny new things” hoe) I would donate even more of my time and wallet to support Nexus Mods. Just throwing some ideas out here for consideration. <3

----------------------------------
Removed Entries
Premium PLUS ($1-5 /mo)
Kaebus wrote: I would second this, especially for those of us who want to support the site beyond our lifetime subs. At the moment, the only way to do so (as far as I know) is in the long run by voluntarily paying monthly until we have passed the lifetime listed price lol
silencer711 wrote: Another site I use (not a modding site) offers that option and its something that I would endorse for Nexus Mods. I see a high potential for Community Funding via small membership bonus tiers like this.

I'm just one out of many people who would gladly support Nexus Mods beyond our lifetime memberships -- a ”plus” bit on top of what we've already paid for would be our way to consistently show our appreciation for everything Nexus stands for, while simultaneously providing recurring monthly ”income” toward Nexus Mods maintenance and upkeep costs.
LeonidasNerevar wrote: I'd like to third this idea. Without turning it into Fortnite, I'd be fine with seeing some cosmetic and title rewards for "Plus" supporters of the site. I'd be fine with giving $1/month for this upgrade. Perfectly fine idea.
lyoko1 wrote: This may be a good idea for life timers, but not for normal premium.
It can be like "Active Premium" and "Pasive Premium" active meaning you are paying monthly, either by having a "not lifetime" premium or by having a lifetime premium and paying a plus, like 1-5$/mo as you said, and "Pasive premium" being a member that has the lifetime premium but chooses to not pay a plus monthly, still premium, but not supporting the site in a "active" way, maybe mod authors should be given the "active premium" whitout a extra fee(if they aleardy have lifetime premium) if they are updating their mods and publishing new ones? of course still allowing them to pay the extra fee if they want, reason being because in a indirect way a mod author is supporting the site by publishing new mods and updating old ones whitout paying.
Of course in any case this would be only cosmetic and more of a option to extra support if you have the lifetime premium membership aleardy.

Sorry for my Engrish, im not used to write in English that much.
silencer711 wrote: @Lyoko1: I agree with your input. Perhaps Lifetime PLUS ($1-5 /mo) is the better option here, considering that Premium is in its own category altogether.
I’ll also add that the option to “Pay what you can” (choosing between 1/2/3/4/or $5 a month) is up for consideration too.
Pickysaurus wrote: You have some interesting thoughts here Silencer.

A way you can support us on top of the Premium Membership currently would be to contributing our Mod Author Donation Points fund via the Patreon (https://www.patreon.com/nexusmods). This is, of course, completely optional. And the funds all go back into supporting our Mod Authors.

As far as "enhanced" membership options go, it's not something we've got any plans for at the moment.

That's a good idea. I think the DP system is pretty ingenious.