Download speed cap increase for Supporters and non-Adblockers

Dark0ne

• Replies 394
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

In response to post #64183701.

zgrillo2004 wrote:

Hey. you want to stop us from using adblockers on the site? then how about remove the malware ridden ads from your site. If you cant, then Im keeping mine on. Deal with it.

Or... crazy thought right here... you could donate the 2$ and become a supporter and avoid ads altogether.

In response to post #64087966. #64088311, #64089056, #64092636, #64102471, #64102756, #64103211, #64113171, #64129041, #64142976, #64155221, #64158531, #64170001, #64171366 are all replies on the same post.

silencer711 wrote: @Dark0ne + @Nexus Staff

-- Ideas For Consideration: --

1. Lifetime + :D ($1-5/mo)
(or Lifetime PLUS)
2. Supporter + :) ($ ”What You Can”)
(or Supporter PLUS)

These are options that add new ways for supporters to keep supporting while granting cosmetic incentives or special recognition within the community, such as:

3. Badge of Honor
(Community-voted)
4. Title
(Community-voted)

I also would like to add that I firmly believe the results would arguably breathe some LIFE into:

SITE decorum
(Colors, Symbols, etc.)
USER drive
(Participation, Content Production, Credibility(?), etc.)

As a lifetime member myself, (and a bit of a ”shiny new things” hoe) I would donate even more of my time and wallet to support Nexus Mods maintenance and site expenses. Just throwing some ideas out here. <3

----------------------------------
Miscellaneous
• Premium PLUS ($1-5 /mo)
• Also for those who have subscribed to PLUS in timed increments (like 1/2/6/12mos)?
Kaebus wrote: I would second this, especially for those of us who want to support the site beyond our lifetime subs. At the moment, the only way to do so (as far as I know) is in the long run by voluntarily paying monthly until we have passed the lifetime listed price lol
silencer711 wrote: Another site I use (not a modding site) offers that option and its something that I would endorse for Nexus Mods. I see a high potential for Community Funding via small membership bonus tiers like this.

I'm just one out of many people who would gladly support Nexus Mods beyond our lifetime memberships -- a ”plus” bit on top of what we've already paid for would be our way to consistently show our appreciation for everything Nexus stands for, while simultaneously providing recurring monthly ”income” toward Nexus Mods maintenance and upkeep costs.
LeonidasNerevar wrote: I'd like to third this idea. Without turning it into Fortnite, I'd be fine with seeing some cosmetic and title rewards for "Plus" supporters of the site. I'd be fine with giving $1/month for this upgrade. Perfectly fine idea.
silencer711 wrote: Bump :)
lyoko1 wrote: This may be a good idea for life timers, but not for normal premium.
It can be like "Active Premium" and "Pasive Premium" active meaning you are paying monthly, either by having a "not lifetime" premium or by having a lifetime premium and paying a plus, like 1-5$/mo as you said, and "Pasive premium" being a member that has the lifetime premium but chooses to not pay a plus monthly, still premium, but not supporting the site in a "active" way, maybe mod authors should be given the "active premium" whitout a extra fee(if they aleardy have lifetime premium) if they are updating their mods and publishing new ones? of course still allowing them to pay the extra fee if they want, reason being because in a indirect way a mod author is supporting the site by publishing new mods and updating old ones whitout paying.
Of course in any case this would be only cosmetic and more of a option to extra support if you have the lifetime premium membership aleardy.

Sorry for my Engrish, im not used to write in English that much.
silencer711 wrote: @Lyoko1: I agree with your input. Perhaps Lifetime PLUS ($1-5 /mo) is the better option here, considering that Premium is in its own category altogether.
I’ll also add that the option to “Pay what you can” (choosing between 1/2/3/4/or $5 a month) is up for consideration too.
silencer711 wrote: Bump :)
Pickysaurus wrote: You have some interesting thoughts here Silencer.

A way you can support us on top of the Premium Membership currently would be to contributing our Mod Author Donation Points fund via the Patreon (https://www.patreon.com/nexusmods). This is, of course, completely optional. And the funds all go back into supporting our Mod Authors.

As far as "enhanced" membership options go, it's not something we've got any plans for at the moment.
fftfan wrote: That's a good idea. I think the DP system is pretty ingenious.
Dipanjanc33 wrote: feels like a deviantart thing
DaedalusMachina007 wrote: Thank you for not punishing those who use ad blocking. I uphold my right to block ads on the basis of security concerns. Ad networks have zero oversight and are frequently compromised and then everyone who saw those ads runs the risk of having browser-based malware mess up their computer. Blame the garbage ad networks, not the users.

As far as other concerns, I'm ok with Google's 'acceptable ads' system:
https://acceptableads.com/

Autoplay video ads are the absolute bane of my internet browsing experience. Absolutely bugger off with that garbage on ANY site. I literally don't read Forbes anymore because of that trash. I dislike autoplay so much I have an extension that blocks it and requires a manual mouse click to activate.

That said, when advertisers are subject to actual federal govt regulation on the internet then I'll start caring about whitelisting them.
They urinated in the pool and now they have to drink from it. Too bad.

Nexus needs to start doing a bit more cross-promotional stuff with places like Humble Bundle (Humble Monthly referrals) and other legit gaming-related sites (maybe even support some indie devs) to generate additional revenue. Put up Amazon referral links. Also NewEgg, TigerDirect, and so on. Have it easily-accessible so people know about it. Disclose that you all get a commission from those links. Bingo. Done.
silencer711 wrote: @Pickysaurus: Well I appreciate the acknowledgement from a community manager. I feel that the DP points system is great and I support it, no questions asked. I just felt that perhaps some additional tiers like I mentioned, might yield interesting results - considering they are small in nature, offer some incentives for consideration, and remain attractively-priced while appealing to those who might not be inclined to go outside the site for their particular donations.
Darklocq wrote: Yep. This is definitely a keen idea. Many sites do things like this. You'd be surprised what peeps will pay to get a special icon or label.

PS: Use better naming though. "Lifetime + PLUS" is redundant, and reads as /lifetime plus plus/ both aloud and in one's head.

@Darklocq:
Thanks! Yep, I am one such peep :D

I see your concern and implore you to see it this way: (“+” = “and”). So for visual aid, it’s really saying:

•“Lifetime AND some more!”
•“Supporter AND some more!”

I do acknowledge your point of view as the better one though, and have edited the main post to reflect this. :) Edited by silencer711

Will you also be removing all video ads, or adding an option for non-supporters to disable video ads? I whitelisted Nexus one time in my ad-blocker to support you, and right away got a video ad. I'm on a pretty stringent daily data cap, and can't afford too many of those before data runs out, and it also uses all available bandwidth so even during late night free periods a streaming video can keep me from being able to do much of anything . . . including downloading files, by the way . . . making a video ad a total deterrent to allowing ads to run.

In response to post #64183701. #64191081 is also a reply to the same post.

zgrillo2004 wrote:

Hey. you want to stop us from using adblockers on the site? then how about remove the malware ridden ads from your site. If you cant, then Im keeping mine on. Deal with it.

megapolom wrote: Or... crazy thought right here... you could donate the 2$ and become a supporter and avoid ads altogether.

Point taken but that isn't enough.

It's pathetic. People who can pay get the benefit but people who put actual content into the site don't? what a joke.

In response to post #64183701. #64191081, #64204401 are all replies on the same post.

zgrillo2004 wrote:

megapolom wrote: Or... crazy thought right here... you could donate the 2$ and become a supporter and avoid ads altogether.
reptileye wrote: Point taken but that isn't enough.

It's pathetic. People who can pay get the benefit but people who put actual content into the site don't? what a joke.

@reptileye you as a mod author CAN get ads removed...use your DP from your wallet and get Premium for 1 month and then after that month is up you go to Supporter ...boom no ads