Site and NMM updates, social networking features incoming

Dark0ne

Like some of the other commenters, I hope there will be a way to to customize the layout and/or disable the feeds function. I come to this website for the mods, and am not interested in social networking. I realize that I can scroll down the page to see what new mods have been posted, but having to look for them (and seeing them pushed down and to the side of the page) makes it feel like the mods are now secondary to the social networking. That might be in line with what some site users want, but customization would be very nice for those of us who use the site differently.

• Replies 158
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

I like the articles idea, thank you! I will say though despite a 48 hr waiting period there could still be spamming, maybe a bit longer like once a week? If a good mod needs news on updates that are worth seeing then it would probably take a while to put it together. If it's a tweak on armour stats or a new follower can use magic then i'm not that bothered, that can be saved for the tracking centre.

Glad to see the NMM is being worked on, hopefully the comments on download failures will decrease now. I don't use it myself but I hear a lot of it not working files 200mb nevermind the gb size ones XD

@Dark0ne

Thank you so much for responding to my post! The fact that you actually did that means a lot to me!

Okay, I'll quit whining. All the features are STILL HERE, it's just a matter of simple scrolling. I've survived changes to the Nexus sites in the past and I can do it again. Hey Ho, Onward we go!

Had to go right over to FO3 to check out the News Feed feature. I must say I like it. I enjoy insightful commentary from the Mod authors. The Mod page is fine but is mostly an explanation of what they did and how you should use it (which is very important).

It is my hope that the authors will take full advantage of this new feature. And as far as spamming goes...I am confident the Nexus staff will keep it contained as they already do a great job of monitoring the sites.

p.s. The progression with the new code seems to be going well. I have noticed continued improvement in speed and content. Keep up the good work.

I almost spilled my dinner when reading about the NMM Profiling!

I mean, categories was already something I was just aching to have, but Profiling...That's just going to reinvent the experience of the game. It's gonna rock.

I hope that, in the future with profiling, we will be able to place Savegames seperatly as to make it even MORE user-friendly? So like, you load Profile A, and you only see the savegames related to that one. (most likely the mods it requires). Load Profile B, and you only see those savegames!

It might turn out to be some very, very complicated scripted but just imagine!

Profile A is your Melee basher character, that has mods that make melee combat excel, then Profile B is for your Archer, giving you fancy functions with it. And then Profile C, which would be purely Vampire-play based, something that can cause conflicts with other combat-based overhauls.

How about a random selection of mods posted on the main page? OCremix.org (a video game remix site) has their "Russian Remix Roulette" on the front page that picks random remixes from throughout the site. That could help with some exposure as well. Just my 2 cents.

Wooooot, looking forward to the NMM update!

I already use three different plugins.txt for my three different characters and I keep the saves for the characters in different folders. So that means I don't have to manually drag the right files into place before loading skyrim anymore. Sweet!

And categories. Thank you so much!

As for the side update I admit it will take some time to get used to the new layout. I'm with a lot of people who say they like the frontpage as it is now (on Skyrim Nexus that is). I'm not active on FO3 so it deos look a bit deserted. But I'm sure that won't be the case for me on Skyrim Nexus.

Still, would it be feasible to have another tab on the front page that shows the latest mods etc like we are used to?

Edited by Grimoa

As some have already I feel I have to throw two pence behind the begging for a homepage customisation option or a revert or something. Ongoing development is generally a great thing but I really, really liked the horizontal new and hot files bars and don't wish at all for social networking-like features. Of course it's down to you running the site, and I'm not going to make any stupid I'LL STOP USING THE NEXUS commentary because I won't and also that would be childish, but it's one change to the sites I can't say I enjoy, either.

Not a fan of the social feeds taking up practically the entire homepage. and why is the font now so small ??

As The Vampire Dante suggested feeds should be a tabbed feature. The existing homepage was working well... this new one.. I really don't like. sorry.

Edit. just noticed it is tabbed but the feeds are set as default page. Option to change the default tab to site news please ???

I do like the idea of opt in feeds for tracked mods and also my own mods. (but again on a tabbed page not the home page)

About friends feeds and seeing what mods they are downloading.

I really liked the idea of learning about new mods... but I dont have any "friends" on this site and to be honest Im not big on this whole virtual friends idea.. I talk to people via the forums and via comments why do i need to give them a virtual "friend" tag and why would what they download be relevant to me and stuff that I download (as our games and characters would likely be very different)

A feed that would be useful me would be new files added to a category that i select/subscribe eg quest category or immersion category etc . Could be further narrowed down via the tags eg I dont receive notifications of alternative language mods that have been added to my subscribed category.

That said I applaud the continuing efforts to improve the site and provide additional features to its users. Just think this change sort of misfired. In my humble opinion of course.. Im sure there are many people who really like the redesign

Edited by leapinglizard