Those "What have I done?" Moments

ClonePatrol

I have no restrictions about killing people in Skyrim due to the wonky AI, but there was one instance of murder that I found disconcerting.

My character was riding a horse to Riverwood with Lydia in tow when the shadow of a dragon passed by. Killing dragons was still new to me, so I immediately dismounted and tried to provoke it. Unfortunately, I couldn't get its attention, so I used a shout that I had just learned, Storm Call. Lightning struck the dragon, thus provoking it and initiating a short fight that I happily won. After I took its bones, I looked around for my horse. It was gone. I started walking to Riverwood, when I realized that Lydia was also gone. I went back to the clearing where I slayed the dragon and eventually found the two bodies.

I accidentally killed my precious horse and pack mule just to slaughter a dragon, which was only defending itself. That encounter made me think about my power and how easy it was to hurt those around me. I stopped using horses and adopted Uthgerd as my new traveling bag. I was irritated by the loss of my previous companions, but mostly I used the experience as a lesson on the dangers of power and not having a back-up save.

_

Edited by Peccadillo

• Replies 164
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

How did Lydia die? I've never been able to kill an essential character in Skyrim. I heard that if essential characters fall down, you can finish them off but I can't do that.

Anyway, once when I was fighting those bandits at that big bridge bandit draugr styled place (in between Riverwood and Windhelm) I tried to shoot a bandit. The arrow missed and hit Lydia who was trying to fight from behind, and due to her low health, dropped down to her knees and proceeded to crawl off the edge of the bridge into the water below.

I simply gave a bitter laugh and continued on my way, but felt bad about it afterwards.

The Forsworn Conspiracy quest. You kill so many morally grey people it's not even funny. First, Eltrys dies basically as a result of your snooping around, then, you must kill Nepos the Nose. I didn't feel too sorry about Nepos himself, but the forsworn girl, Uaile. When you get tossed in prison, you find out she was the daughter of one of the forsworn people. Then, you either have to kill the Unlucky guy, who didn't really deserve it, or you have to kill the King in Rags, which, while justifiable, always left a bad taste in my mouth. Plus, if you DO decide to side with the King in Rags, your betraying Eltrys, AND admitting that Uaile and the other forsworn you killed were just desperate people with a cause. It was easy enough playing as my ruthless werewolf, but when my actual Dovahkiin went ahead and tried to help a desperate man, that man ended up getting killed, along with others. Honestly, Grisvar the Unlucky is one of the few deaths I actually feel guilty about, and the only one where my Dovahkiin attacked and killed a man without any moral justification.

There have been several times where I have freed Thalmor Prisoners, only to accidentally kill them when they try to help me kill the Thalmor. I don't feel TERRIBLY guilty about these, just a little sad.

Edited by AnubisRaven

Poor Narfi. There are a quite a few heartless quests in the game, depending on your alignment, but killing Narfi for the Dark Brotherhood is... cruel. This time out, knowing the path my character was taking I made sure I did his little side quest first so he would at least be at peace... Nazir's comment to you on your return to the sanctuary doesn't help.

"Congratulations. You slaughtered an emaciated beggar in cold blood. You are truly an opponent to be feared."

*hangs head in shame*

Poor Narfi. There are a quite a few heartless quests in the game, depending on your alignment, but killing Narfi for the Dark Brotherhood is... cruel. This time out, knowing the path my character was taking I made sure I did his little side quest first so he would at least be at peace... Nazir's comment to you on your return to the sanctuary doesn't help.

"Congratulations. You slaughtered an emaciated beggar in cold blood. You are truly an opponent to be feared."

*hangs head in shame*

I see this as a mercy killing, requested by someone who pitied his sorry existance. Of course its possible someone wanted his house. I felt really bad about killing the Bride :(

I see this as a mercy killing, requested by someone who pitied his sorry existance. Of course its possible someone wanted his house. I felt really bad about killing the Bride :(

Aye, it's possible someone was trying to do him a favor... but to go through the ritual just to kill a harmless beggar? It would have been easier just to give him some coin or a job sweeping out the Inn. Bleeding heart I guess, even when RP'ing teh evil.

For my main, I have a rather cool method of thinking as to why she kills so much when her intentions are initially altruistic.

The way I look at it, the Dovahkiin is a dragon's soul incarnated into the body of a mortal. Such a thing would present inner conflict I think, a clash between mortal morals and ideals vs. Draconic instinct and hunger for power. In the heat of the moment, when facing down enemies, a raw instinctual drive to dominate takes hold of my character's mind, especially when facing an especially dire opponent. When all is said and done, and her bloodrage subsides, and she sees the carnage she's wrought, she hardly feels she's better than the dragons she's fighting, as all she brings with her is destruction. It leaves her feeling dehumanized and disgusted with herself. But she can't stop, as she has a duty towards destiny to defeat the great evils that would threaten Skyrim and the world. She takes up arms against threats like Alduin, Harkon, and the first Dragonborn because she feels she must protect humanity. But her dragon soul relishes the moment she is able to topple another powerful being and assert her own power, something she will not admit. She has to fight against her congenial nature, much like Parthunaax, and unlike Parth, she has to question whether or not she is really human. (She also spared Parth, because at that point, she began to feel and odd and inexplicable kinship with dragons, and began to feel bad for even killing them in the bucket loads)

Overall, my character is not a happy camper. She's more like my Nerevarine, who also had to constantly question his actions, and what the consequences of them were, and with the vanishing of Vivec and the eruption of Red Mountain, followed by the fall of Morrowind, his immortal ass felt far from being a paragon of his people. I'm pretty sure he's living in isolation somewhere in Akavir now (If not canonically, than in my mind, my specific character is)

I like characters with flaws, who realize that their hands are stained with the blood of hundreds upon hundreds of people.

There is still a lot of work to do for this "open world" or better yet "open decision game" most fans of these types of games are craving for.

You are making a very good general point, why is somebody immediately my enemy? we certainly understand why the undead attack us (they generally dont like the living desecrating their places of rest) and also why the machinations of dwemer attack (security protocols) but what about bandits or mages?

especially in your case, it should be possible to talk with the caller sooner (by asking one of her "subordinates" for a "audience") and try to negotiate for the books without unnecessary bloodshed. After killing everybody and then saying "ups sorry my bad" is pretty weak.

We are on the road though and I hope that we havent seen the best yet.

The Forsworn Conspiracy quest. You kill so many morally grey people it's not even funny. First, Eltrys dies basically as a result of your snooping around, then, you must kill Nepos the Nose. I didn't feel too sorry about Nepos himself, but the forsworn girl, Uaile. When you get tossed in prison, you find out she was the daughter of one of the forsworn people. Then, you either have to kill the Unlucky guy, who didn't really deserve it, or you have to kill the King in Rags, which, while justifiable, always left a bad taste in my mouth.

The King in Rags is utter scum because he makes the player character kill one of his own people as a "loyalty" test and lets himself be turned into a tool for the Silver-Blood . Between him and those Nord trash Silver-Bloods there are many, many people who need to be killed in Makarath

The King in Rags is utter scum because he makes the player character kill one of his own people as a "loyalty" test and lets himself be turned into a tool for the Silver-Blood . Between him and those Nord trash Silver-Bloods there are many, many people who need to be killed in Makarath

I agree, mostly, though i tend to be more sympathetic with the Foresworn because of their particular sutiation... But that is neither here nor there, that whole quest chain is more ethically scaring than anything the Daedra get you to do.

All of that said... Had something happen recently which was less "What have i done?" and more "What did i walk in to?"

I was wandering my Lakeview Manor, trying to find my rather ellusive wife, and hoping she hadn't gotten herself eaten by wolves... Anywho, i round the corner, heading to the front of the house, to see my Horse staring face to face with a Doe. The Doe promptly turns and runs away, and my horse just gives me a "What?" look. It left me standing there staring blankly for a moment...