Are Debates Ever Really Won?

Aurielius

Having watched the return of the seventh incarnation of a topic, in which all the usual sides showed up to debate / argue; it occurred to me that in the years that this debate has been held I haver never seen anyone back down or switch sides. That bit of wry amusement lead me to thinking of how many of the standard debates fell into the same category. This brings me to a question for all you debating junkies: Have any of you with your peerless logic, sound arguments and convincing moral high ground ever converted someone from the opposition camp to your side? My memory might have missed one of these serendipitous moments but I can't recall a single instance.

• Replies 59
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

Honestly, debates like these have shaped my opinions greatly. They bring new information and viewpoints. While you may not see it and you most certainly wont see in the immediate discussions, I reflect on what is said, investigate new information and adjust my stances accordingly.

Over the years, I've gone from pro-gun control to anti-gun control, hardcore fundamentalist Christian to atheist. I'm going to stop right there, I described myself as an atheist just now, but generally I don't like the label. I don't hold atheists in that high of a regard. I tend to view myself as more neutral in the debate.

Anyway, other stances that have changed are I used to be anti-socialized medicine. But now I see it's merits. I used to be anti-drugs, now I'm more neutral to the debate, though I am pro-marijuana, still not a user and have no plans to start using. These are just some of the things that changed for me.

I know I tend to appear unshakeable in my arguments, but truth is, I do listen to the otherside's arguments and consider their position.

Depends on the what is being debated. Convincing people isn't really all that important, considering in the more subjective subjects debates are mostly about presenting opinions on the matter, what one may like or dislike, and often there is no right or wrong in that. There are wrong forms of debating and stating an opinion. Logic and truth always wins, even if it doesn't change peoples minds or put the subject to bed.

I suppose that like most people, my opinions have been formed by personal experiences, my hopes and perhaps most importantly my fears.

But I love debates, because somebody may take a diametrically differing opinion to me, and make convincing arguments supporting their opinion, that might not completely alter my opinions, but certainly give me food for thought. In some ways, a good debate, does have some influence, though not enough yet, to fundamentally alter my personal viewpoints.

In general I agree but some debate topics being repeated has had me modify, if not totally change, some of my ideas. Debates tend to draw in those who already have very strong convictions and do not intend to change them.

In general I agree but some debate topics being repeated has had me modify, if not totally change, some of my ideas. Debates tend to draw in those who already have very strong convictions and do not intend to change them.

Wow, enlightening, and not really what I expected.

I am on the same page as A here..... Of the folks that are regular participants here, I don't think I have actually SEEN anyones views alter overmuch. Of course, I haven't been around here that long..... (I didn't even know this forum existed for the longest time.....)

As most of you already know, I am a died-in-the-wool cynic, and stick-in-the-mud. I am opinionated in the extreme, and pretty well set in my ways. I don't think I have shifted my position much, if at all, on any of the topics that have come thru here.......

I try not to take myself too seriously though, and neither should you. :)

Pay more attention if you haven't ever seen anyone switch sides.

You post these blithe wannabe pithy comments in the inaccurate beleif that you cannot be rebutted.... wrong. Unlike some, I won't pretend that I do not read all the posts in a thread I originate. So now it's time to put up or shut up...kindly go to your trophy case of debating Oscar's and pull one out for us all to see where you achieved this epiphany with another debater. To which I mean precisely what thread and with whom....links please.

EDIT by LHammonds: Strike #1 re-earned for flaming. Please stop and think before you start getting personal. If you are experiencing an emotional response when replying, it is best to walk away and cool down for a while.