PSA: Own a game from Ubisoft? You may have malware installed.

Rooker75

Remember when SonyBMG installed a rootkit trojan through music CDs? Someone at Ubisoft does and must have thought it was a great idea.

Ubisoft “Uplay” DRM exposed as rootkit; dozens of popular games hacked

Full Disclosure Mailing List: AxMan ActiveX fuzzing <== Memory Corruption PoC Crash

Apparently it is a browser plug-in installed by Ubisoft's game installers. Go through your plug-in list and look for anything that shouldn't be there. Then consider looking up the phone number of your state's Attorney-General's office.

The more I look at this, the less it looks like malicious behavior by Ubisoft and just shoddy, insecure programming on their part. It's going to depend on what their motive was in installing that browser plug-in, I guess. Whatever their motives, it certainly it opens a door for anyone else who does have malicious intentions.

Anyway, Mozilla is already planning an update to block the plug-in for Firefox. I don't know what the other browser makers will do, but it seems like going through the list of browser plug-ins and deleting this one ought to fix the security hole.

i only have Ubisoft games for my Ps3. so nothing on my PC thank god.

also luckily, i was just messing with my plugins in firefox not too long ago, so i know whats there and what "on" and whatnot.

The more I look at this, the less it looks like malicious behavior by Ubisoft and just shoddy, insecure programming on their part. It's going to depend on what their motive was in installing that browser plug-in, I guess. Whatever their motives, it certainly it opens a door for anyone else who does have malicious intentions.

What's worse stupid or cunning?

I have to say piss off if either is true. IMO doing something stupid can land you in court or jail, and it's just not a defence for anything. Especially since I don't see Ubi going around trying to say they are indeed stupid, quite the opposite in fact, so in their case it isn't even a defence they can put forward. Letting things fly scot free on the stupidity plea is a bit silly when you get down to it.

Why don't they just start making games for consoles only then? If they don't like PC gamers, alienating PC gamers and then asking them to buy your games doesn't seem very well thought out.