Adding mods to a current playthrough. How?

TheBaconOverlord

Game: Fallout 4 VR

Using: Current Version of Vortex

This is a two faceted question really...

I'm asking how and how to do it with Vortex.

Typically if I add a new mod during a current play through, something breaks or I get erratic behavior from some mods, etc. Especially mods that control things like spawns, weapon injections, etc.

So. How do people do that? I'm soooo tired of starting a new game because a really awesome mod comes out I want to try, lol. There has to be a way to add the mod and not have it break other mods. Probably something to do with setting them all to a static mod index maybe? Or making the new mod load with a mod index that's at the end?

Dunno.. anyway.. help me not have to listen to "war never changes" from professor skinny-neck for the 10000000th time, lol.

Guest deleted34304850

you can add mods to an existing game but there's always a risk. if you are adding mods that are not compatible with the mods you're currently running then, quite simply, don't. you need to read the mod requirements and what it is incompatible with.

you can add mods to an existing game but there's always a risk. if you are adding mods that are not compatible with the mods you're currently running then, quite simply, don't. you need to read the mod requirements and what it is incompatible with.

Oh, yeah I definitely get the incompatibility. I wouldn't load those together anyway. But, just normal mods. If they move a mod's load order or change their memory address, won't that screw things up?

I heavily mod Skyrim, Skyrim SE, and Fallout 4. My base for all the games is literally years old, and done at end game. Levels 60 - 130.

I have never had a problem with new mods breaking something by moving load order around. I just let Vortex sort with Loot and am done.

Not saying you can't break something, but it has never happened to me. I run 60 to 150 mods per profile.

Oh, yeah I definitely get the incompatibility. I wouldn't load those together anyway. But, just normal mods. If they move a mod's load order or change their memory address, won't that screw things up?

First, download a Clean, mod-free save game that was saved right before you take the elevator out of Vault 111 and can edit your character.

Then you can just load that save game every time you start over.

Start the Mod Free save game with the mods you want to use, then SAVE that savegame to a new slot, that way you have a CLEAN Mod-Free Save, and a new Starting Save with your current mods.

Second: You CAN add mods to a current save, but adding a mod will change the Address ID's of your other mods, which in turn will most likely mess up any mods that have scripts, if they're loaded BELOW the new mod.

Third, you CAN change your working load order around without consequence (so I've been told), so that's not an issue, the issue comes from Adding and/or Removing mods during a playthrough./

Never do that.

Game: Fallout 4 VR

Using: Current Version of Vortex

This is a two faceted question really...

I'm asking how and how to do it with Vortex.

Typically if I add a new mod during a current play through, something breaks or I get erratic behavior from some mods, etc. Especially mods that control things like spawns, weapon injections, etc.

So. How do people do that? I'm soooo tired of starting a new game because a really awesome mod comes out I want to try, lol. There has to be a way to add the mod and not have it break other mods. Probably something to do with setting them all to a static mod index maybe? Or making the new mod load with a mod index that's at the end?

Dunno.. anyway.. help me not have to listen to "war never changes" from professor skinny-neck for the 10000000th time, lol.

If you really wanted to play it safe, you could create a clone of your current gaming profile and use the clone as a "test bench" for new mods. If the mods work OK, then activate them for your current playthrough profile.

Thanks for all the feedback. I think I got the answer when it was mentioned that scripted mods often break if their memory addresses change. So, loading newer mods to the end of a loadlist (the highest possible static mod ID available) will keep them from messing with other mods.

I'll give that a try and see if it works. I use quite a few mods that inject weapons and other scripts. Hopefully this will keep those working.

It would be great if Vortex had a way to freeze mod ids so new mods wouldn't mess with them.

I guess another way to do it (just to be sure) would be to assign a static mod ID to each mod. That way newer mods would automatically sort to the very end and wouldn't be an issue.

Guest deleted34304850

you can "lock" the position of a mod in your load order - but doing that can open you up to other issues, but it is possible for you to do that.

Adding mods to running playthroughs isn't considered "safe" because there is no guarantee it won't break things, but in my experience, it is possible to pull off without breaking your game if you pay attention to what you are doing and read descriptions etc.

Removing mods, on the other hand, is not advised and has a higher chance of screwing things up.

That being said, I would not lock plugins to a specific index but rather rely on auto-sorting even for plugins added mid playthrough.

When I did setup my mods in SkyrimSE, I added a mod I've never used before ( colored icons or stuff like that ). My game started to crash when approaching cities. Because I played before with the rest of the mods for a very long time without any issue, my suspicious felt on the new mod in mention.

Instead deleting / removing the mod from my current play through ( I knew it will screw up with everything ), I decided to just DISABLE the mod in Vortex and continue playing. Basically what I told Vortex was : do not use this mod but keep it in my list. Problem resolved. No more crashes since then. You can add ( there is a risk as everybody pointed ) and if it does not work, DISABLE it and go back to the save before you installed the mod.

So I have been adding mods to muy current game without issues but I make sure that before adding a mod, I read the mod description, compatibility suggestions, the mod posts, the mod requirements, etc, etc.

The colored mod that is disabled in my SkyrimSE game was not added mid-game but from the beginning and even though, after I disabled it, I did not go back to Helgen and still my game is working properly. No more crashes when approaching / entering cities. By the way, I do not use Open Cities.