⚠ Known Issue: Media on User Profiles ×

But seriously, who do you think really won the civil war?

Relativelybest

I personally hope they don't take that approach. TES PC's are better left to dissapear after their task is complete. The Nerevarine never tried to take the Throne of Morrowind (though he probably could, power wise, and Helseth wasn't exactly popular) and the CoC never tried to become Emperor. Both exited history when they were no longer needed.

The PC's are best served as short term decision makers, facing challenges like Alduin or Dagoth Ur then vanishing. The longer their story goes beyond the end of the game in question, the greater the risk of establishing a canon personality. If the Dragonborn became Emperor, Bethesda would have to make note of the quality of Emperor the Dragonborn was, solidifying who he/she is. This would invalidate the choices players made, if they didn't match the canon, and it's the historic ambiguity of the PC's which is the cornerstone of the "do it your way" mentality of the franchise.

Exactly, how it generally works is this:

1. Something bad happens.

2. The gods (Usually Akatosh and/or Lorkhan) decide "This won't do at all, let's handle this."

3. The gods choose the person best for the job, not necessarily the most skilled or gifted, but the right person in the right place at the right time. Seeing as time is fairly meaningless to Akatosh, this person doesn't have to exist at the time of the problem, but can be born before the problem even happens with some gift that will help solve the problem, see the Dovahkiin for a perfect example.

4. The Hero in question succeeds, the problem is solved.

5. The Hero is no longer important, at least not in the grand scheme of things. He or she goes off and does whatever he or she wants to do.

In some cases it makes sense for the hero to be remembered, again the Dovahkiin is a perfect example. But considering the way information is passed in Tamriel, mostly by word of mouth, details will change over time. The Nords will sing songs of the brave Dovahkiin, the nord who saved them from Alduin for generations to come. The Imperials meanwhile may talk of the noble Dragonborn who helped safeguard the Empire, as Dragonborn have since it's formation. The Thalmor might even spin some propaganda story about how the Dragonborn was an Altmer, proving the superiority of their race. The details change and the truth is lost in time.

This is exactly how it should be. It allows our heroes to be literally anyone we want them to be, the only canon is the one we make for ourselves and personally, I love that.

Edited by UrgeNexus

• Replies 129
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

The dragonborn should now take the throne, because while TM2 was a brilliant tactician, he was a useless politician. (he'd practically won the great war, or at least forced it to a stalemate, yet he pretty much surrendered. Useless :facepalm:)

High King Balgruuf.

Bethesda is probably going to do the same thing they did with Daggerfall.... use a Dragonbreak to make BOTH endings happen at the same time.

The actions of Tullius, Ulfric, and the Dvoahiin are a mirror of the actions taken by Tiber Septim, Ysmir Wulfharth, and Zurin Arctus, that caused those three to merge into Talos who is Lorkhan reborn.

Such actions are normally heralded by an event of magnitude such as a Dragonbreak.

The Warp in the... North? :']

The dragonborn should now take the throne, because while TM2 was a brilliant tactician, he was a useless politician. (he'd practically won the great war, or at least forced it to a stalemate, yet he pretty much surrendered. Useless :facepalm:)

High King Balgruuf.

I don't get why people love him so much. Because he treats you well? Of course he does, you kill a dragon on his doorstep, he'd be mad not to. Don't judge a man based on how he treats you, judge him on how he treats everyone else, namely his servants such as Proventus. Honestly, Balgruuf has always come across as a dick to me. I get that he's under a lot of stress with the civil war and the dragons, but I still don't like him much. Even though I favour the Imperials in the civil war, I think Vignar makes for a much better Jarl, if only he didn't support the stormcloaks.

@UrgeNexus You have to admit Proventus has it coming to him, he suggests making speeches in the market or Inn in response to Dragons. That would piss off anyone. I mean the last guy that made lots of speeches got murdered by one of his own jarls. I think that makes it clear how Nords fell about people that make lots of speeches lol.

As for the war. Even if the stormclocks win the Empire will get serious and send it's full army something the stormclocks can not defeat. Or the Thalmor will take the the moment of weakness crush the Empire then overwhelm Skyrim with pure force and cunning, killing everyone that resists or gives them a dirty look. Ether way the stormclocks will almost certainly lose in the long run.

@UrgeNexus You have to admit Proventus has it coming to him, he suggests making speeches in the market or Inn in response to Dragons. That would piss off anyone. I mean the last guy that made lots of speeches got murdered by one of his own jarls. I think that makes it clear how Nords fell about people that make lots of speeches lol.

As for the war. Even if the stormclocks win the Empire will get serious and send it's full army something the stormclocks can not defeat. Or the Thalmor will take the the moment of weakness crush the Empire then overwhelm Skyrim with pure force and cunning, killing everyone that resists or gives them a dirty look. Ether way the stormclocks will almost certainly lose in the long run.

That's what they said about the Stormcloaks in the short term. Think about it. If you join the Stormcloaks and win, at the end, the Stormcloaks will have 2 people who can kill just by shouting, one of whom can summon at least 2 dragons and is in control of basically all major organizations in Skyrim, legal and illegal, and who has made good friends with various gods and demigods.

That's what they said about the Stormcloaks in the short term. Think about it. If you join the Stormcloaks and win, at the end, the Stormcloaks will have 2 people who can kill just by shouting, one of whom can summon at least 2 dragons and is in control of basically all major organizations in Skyrim, legal and illegal, and who has made good friends with various gods and demigods.

Using what your own character did in your game in a lore debate doesn't really fit. Nobody knows what's going to happen to the dragonborn after the games events. Its possible he just leaves, never to be heard of again like the PC from Morrowind.

I still stand by the notion that Skyrim's hostile enviroment, natural defenses and warlike Nords (weakened though they are) will make any invasion of it a nightmare. Tiber Septim only succeeded because most of the Nord allied with him following Sancre Tor.