[WIP] Project Extend And Change Everything (PEACE)

antistar

• Replies 210
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

Half-Life. :) Unsurprising; everyone was making mods for Half-Life in those days - though the term "mod" wasn't really used yet. What I made was a "singleplayer episode" - a series of singleplayer maps that made a story - as opposed to a "singleplayer map" which would be just one map.

It wasn't very good. I was having fun experimenting and I managed some things on a technical level that I don't think had been done in a 3D game at that point. Like a level where you were on a "moving" subway train that was actually sitting still while the tunnel moved around it. Doesn't sound like much now, but back then...

It just wasn't much fun to play, though. But hey, I was a teenager. It was the nineties. Early days all around.

Before that I had made a similarly technically ambitious singleplayer episode for Quake 2, but I didn't release that one because I couldn't get it to compile when I put all the pieces together. Compiling a map could take hours, and you wouldn't find out until afterwards whether it even worked. So you worked on small bits of a level at a time. Man BSPs were miserable to work with. (They still were for Half-Life and even Half-Life 2. Don't know why Valve put up with it for so long.)

Before that I'd made custom maps for some DOS games, and before that, the same for some Commodore 64 games, when I was a kid. It never even occurred to me to share those with people, because that was obviously before the Internet was really a thing.

Thanks. :)

As an update: the armoury-themed posters (weapon disassembly charts, etc) are basically finished. I'm happy with how they turned out; I'll probably show some screenshots soon.

First though I've had it in my head for a little while to add one more poster to that; a simple chart showing approximately how many rounds of ammo of different types an M2A1 ammo box can hold. The game obviously lets you store as much as you want in a single container, but I have added a buildable ammo box, and I figured that some people - myself included - might want a handy guide to storing a realistic amount of ammo in them. Otherwise hey, it can just be some armoury-themed set dressing, like the other posters. I'll probably have it marked in-universe as an informational thing distributed by the Minutemen.

I found some info scattered here and there on how much of a few different calibres people have been able to store in these ammo cans, but for other calibres I'll just do some rough maths. They're all only approximate values anyway. I guess I should probably include at least some of the Energy ammo on the list too - and those will have to be rough values, of course.

It's kind of a tentative thing, but it should come together alright.

Ammo's roughly cylindrical in shape,so all you gotta do is calculate the cylindrical volume of the cart in question,fudge it down for the bullet's irregular shape,then cross-reference that with the internal volume of the can,which you also fudge down,because circles can never perfectly fill a space.

You know,that sounded a lot like a D&D or Pathfinder game master thing.

Yeah that's basically what I did.

In the research I did earlier, I found forum posts with people saying "I fit X rounds of Y" in an M2A1 ammo can, and then someone else would say "Really? I was able to fit Z rounds of Y" because they stacked them differently or something. The values I found in different places varied a fair bit, so yes... approximate values are fine.

Here's what I've got at the moment, for anyone interested:

.22 LR			6000
.32 ACP			3300
.380 ACP		2700
9x18mm			2400
9x19mm			2200
.38 Special		1700
.357 Magnum		1650
10mm Auto		1600
.45 ACP			1300
.44 Magnum		1100
.50 AE			775

5.45x39mm		1100
.223 / 5.56x45mm	1200
7.92x33mm Kurz		900
7.62x39mm		850
9x39mm			850
.308 / 7.62x51mm	640
.45-70 Govt		575
7.62x54mmR		540
.30-06			500
20 Gauge 2-3/4"		350
12 Gauge 2-3/4"		250
.50 BMG			100
40x46mm Grenade		36

2mm EC			1000
Gamma Round		430 Cells, 3440 Charges
Micro Fusion Cell	144 Cells, 4320 Charges
Plasma Cartridge	64 Cartridges, 1920 Charges
Fusion Core		20 Cores

I'm not trying to account for everything there, but those are the ammo types that I think have a chance of showing up in WARS (as part of support patches for other weapon mods if nothing else) via AmmoTweaks.

(And for anyone who somehow stumbles across this post while looking for information on how much actual physical ammo they can fit in their actual physical ammo can: this is for a computer game, so you'll probably want to move along and look for a better source elsewhere. :wink:)

I find it interesting that you settled on 1000 rounds of 2mm EC per can; Why is that? 2mm EC rounds,if removed from their magazine (Which contains a power supply for the Gauss),they're just 2mm balls. If they're kept in their magazine,however,that's a beefy drum magazine.

Oh, right; I forgot to say earlier that I pulled that number for the 2mm EC entirely out of my arse. I didn't know how much space the power supply should account for; a 2mm ball is very small, but those magazines are pretty huge for something that only holds seven of them.

Maybe I will just see roughly how many of the mags would fit in the ammo can and use that number - formatted like "X Mags, Y Rounds" to fit in with how I did the Energy ammo in the list.

Been following this mod for a while, extremely excited. Have a quick question about compatibility. Do you think it would be possible to activate PEACE partway through an existing play-though? I really, really want to use it, but I also want to start another game. Thanks.