[WIP] Project Extend And Change Everything (PEACE)

antistar

Admittedly a small/silly question, but for hydra, what are you planning on using for the model? Will there be an animation?

At the moment I've got it using the Stimpak model since injecting it made more sense to me than... whatever it is you do with Hydra in New Vegas. Also - speaking of animations - it was because I wanted it to use the Stimpak animation. However it doesn't seem to want to actually use the animation, and I'm not sure why. Hopefully it's not hard-coded in some way...

Actually if anyone has any insight into that side of things, please let me know.

Been following this mod for a while, extremely excited. Have a quick question about compatibility. Do you think it would be possible to activate PEACE partway through an existing play-though? I really, really want to use it, but I also want to start another game. Thanks.

No, I wouldn't recommend enabling PEACE (or WARS) for an existing save, I'm afraid. There are a number of things that wouldn't get initialised properly. Depending on your tolerance for that sort of thing, you may be able to get away with doing it anyway, but you'd see some weirdness. It's something I'll be describing as unsupported.

Anyway; if you feel like playing FO4 right now, don't wait on my account; it'll be a little while yet.

Edit: Oh, right; I was going to say that I've added a "Modular Shelf" as part of the armoury-related Workshop items I'm working on. It's based on this set of shelves and to copy-paste from the readme, this is why I added it:

- Modular Shelf added:

--- Based on the Vault Shelf model, this is a single free-standing shelf that can be snapped together vertically into shelves of arbitrary height, or horizontally in either direction. (Into neat rows, in other words.)

--- This was added because in Workshop mode it is near impossible to place items on shelves that have other shelves above them; the item will snap to the higher shelf.

--- The process for adding items to one of these Modular Shelves that is below another shelf is still a little finicky, unfortunately - but finicky is better than impossible:

----- 1) Stack multiple Modular Shelves to the desired height.

----- 2) Pick up the shelf you want to add items to and move it out from under any other shelves. The other shelves will remain floating in place. (I know, I know.)

----- 3) Add items to the shelf.

----- 4) Pick the shelf up again and move it back under the other shelves, snapping it back into place.

(In other words I wanted to place ammo cans on shelves but the Workshop system had other ideas.)

Edited by antistar

• Replies 210
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

It's not the same design and doesn't snap together in exactly the same way, but what I've done achieves basically the same effect in that you can easily snap together a grid of shelves like that, yeah.

To clarify, the shelves don't join together physically/visibly horizontally - they just have horizontal snap points (in addition to the vertical ones) so that it's easy to line them up neatly.

I'd hoped to have some screenshots showing all these armoury-related objects up by now, but things have been annoyingly busy lately; lots of medical appointments again. This weekend is looking to be busy too; family visiting.

What I want to do is make a simple armoury/workshop scene in Workshop mode that uses all these objects; weapon racks, posters, shelves, ammo cans - and some workbenches and whatnot I'm sure. Then take some screenshots to show - and probably use in the standalone release (because I probably will do that) and the eventual PEACE release too, I imagine.

Just need to get a free moment to put it all together, damn.

Haha - well, thanks. :)

I was able to squeeze in a little time on this armoury scene over the weekend, but only a little. I think I'm also being slowed down by it being basically the first thing of any significance I've tried to build in Workshop mode. (Not that it's hugely complicated or anything.)

I spent almost no time building things in my first playthrough of the game because I found the settlement system to be disappointingly basic and superficial. There didn't seem to be much point to it, mechanically. (Compare it to Rimworld for example.) Of course things are better now that the Workshop DLCs and (more significantly) mods like Sim Settlements exist. Have I mentioned that I'm extremely looking forward to being able to actually play FO4 again, this time with a bunch of mods to address the problems I had with it?

Anyway, tomorrow's looking good for getting some work done on the mod, so hopefully I can get those screenshots sorted out before long.

Here are those screenshots - a demo Workshop scene showing off the armoury-related items:

- Armoury Items 01

- Armoury Items 02

- Armoury Items 03

- Armoury Items 04

- Armoury Items 05

I am planning on splitting this stuff off into a standalone mod now, and I'll do that next. It will all still be in PEACE too - and the posters will make a little more sense there since they'll use the new "paper" junk component added in PEACE.

I'm not totally sure on the name yet. "Weapon Racks And More" (WRAM) seems a little unimaginative but is what I'll probably go with. It just seems like if someone is going to think to themselves at some point "hey, what was that mod with the weapon racks?" or "I want a mod with weapon racks", I should probably have "weapon racks" in the name so they can find it.

I don't know if this was discussed yet, but there is a little mod i like to use and i think it increases immersion substantially

https://www.nexusmods.com/fallout4/mods/12504

For Those that did not open the link, what this mod does is it adds "Blank Holotapes" in the game and they need to be used in order to save the game, for me it was a really fun and immersive way to save plus it brings back memories of Resident Evil, i know that perhaps this may not appeal to eveyone, but i just thought i should share it

It does sound like a fun way to limit the number of saves you can make, but I don't think there is a truly immersive way to present saving your game as being part of the simulation, in most cases. If it's part of the setting/conceit somehow (like the game is set in a simulation, maybe), then sure - but obviously that's not usually the case.

Related to that is how you handle "dying", and I think there's a lot more room to move there. There's obvious examples like Dark Souls where you're a magical/cursed undead person, so dying and respawning is part of the fiction. (Planescape Torment does a similar thing.) There's also just getting "wounded", like in Far Cry 2 where your on-standby "buddy" can swoop in and give you a second chance.

If anyone's played Outward from earlier this year, it does some cool things along those lines. Depending on where and how you go down, different things can happen. Maybe you get captured by bandits and then have to escape and get your stuff back, or maybe you get dragged back to town by a hunter if you go down in the wilderness somewhere.

I would love to see a comprehensive "death alternative" mod for Fallout 4 that does this kind of thing. I've got ideas coming out my ears for how it could work - there's so much potential here with FO4's setting - but ideas are cheap and a mod like this would take a huge amount of work to do well.

Better Armory Mod (BAM) - Weapon Racks and More is released!

Download: Better Armory Mod (BAM)

This would have been up much earlier today, but the Nexus seems to be having some problems with uploading files at the moment. As it is, I just now finally got it to go through, and now I'm off to bed. Let me know if there are any problems, and if so I'll have a look at them tomorrow, I guess!

• 1 month later...

- Purified Water Bucket 01

A quick and relatively simple feature I just put in: In PEACE, standard water pumps were changed to produce dirty water rather than purified water - because it makes more sense that way, right?

However, this leaves kind of a consistency problem in that you can build water purifiers, but you can't drink from them - or fill bottles from them - even though they were modelled with taps/faucets. Initially I tried making it possible to drink from them directly, but this proved to be pretty clunky, as every time you activated the purifier to drink from it, it would also toggle the purifier on or off. (Or prompt Nate/Nora to mutter that it "needs power" while simultaneously gulping down water, which is quite the feat.)

I didn't want to try to bodge together the purifier/drinking/bottle-filling scripts, so instead I added this bucket that snaps to the outlets of the water purifiers and powered water pump. That's it, really; you drink from the bucket rather than the purifier itself.

It's not perfect in that you can still drink from the bucket when the purifier is un-powered - and it doesn't animate along with the vibrating purifier outlet - but I think that's pretty minor.