[WIP] Project Extend And Change Everything (PEACE)

antistar

• Replies 210
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

Well, speaking of cargo carriers, I've started making robot versions of them:

- Robot Cargo Carriers 01

- Robot Cargo Carriers 02

- Robot Cargo Carriers 03

- Robot Cargo Carriers 04

- Robot Cargo Carriers 05

These are similar to the power armour variants in that they give a large Carry Weight bonus, but also a moderate movement speed penalty.

The encumbrance overhaul in PEACE (more info in the first couple of posts of the thread) makes it more challenging for the player character themselves to carry a lot of stuff, so it's assumed that the player will use other strategies to cart things around with them - for example by bringing a cargo bot along.

I've done the Sentry Bot torso cargo carrier so far, as a test. I'll do versions for the other robot types too - maybe excepting the Mister Handy, considering its design.

love the way the carry weight rework is looking, not sure about the changes to clothing and such.
but man that giant cargo backpack for power armour is probably the coolest thing ive ever seen, cant wait till i can get one

Thanks - though which clothing changes do you mean?

Hello antistar,

I just downloaded your Better armory mod (Bam) and i would like to say thank you for this awesome mod. I've been looking for this type of mod for so long. It's because of guy like you that so much people still buy and play Fallout 4. Man, your hard work is much appreciated. Double thumbs up.

Edited by jeffv

That Sentry Bot cargo unit looks pretty damn schway. But,I can't help but notice that it's made even taller than the machine normally is,which would make many of the game's doors a traversal nightmare. That,and the cargo pod looks like it's risking intercepting mortar shells... Especially if the machine's in motion. Did you consider mounting the cargo pod further to the Sentry Bot's back,on arms? Such that if you mount mortars to the thing's back,the mortars are between the chassis and the cargo pod? Further,will you be making armour plate variants of the cargo pods,like Warmonger and Voltaic?

Of course,I could easily be talking out of my ass.

As for robots that shouldn't have cargo pods,I agree that Mister Handies/Gutsies shouldn't have them,as they're hoverbots. I'd also argue that Assaultrons shouldn't get them,largely because they're purpose-built shock assault units and in the vanilla game,Assaultron parts impose carry weight penalties to the completed machine.

Speaking of Mister Gutsies; It's actually impossible in the vanilla game to convert a Mister Handy unit into a Mister Gutsy. And believe me,I've tried; You're forced to replace eyes with arms if you want to mount actual guns to the thing. Will PEACE make it possible to perform a full Mister Gutsy conversion to the Mister Handy platform?

Hello antistar,

I just downloaded your Better armory mod (Bam) and i would like to say thank you for this awesome mod. I've been looking for this type of mod for so long. It's because of guy like you that so much people still buy and play Fallout 4. Man, your hard work is much appreciated. Double thumbs up. [/size]

Well hey, thanks. :smile:

That Sentry Bot cargo unit looks pretty damn schway. But,I can't help but notice that it's made even taller than the machine normally is,which would make many of the game's doors a traversal nightmare. That,and the cargo pod looks like it's risking intercepting mortar shells... Especially if the machine's in motion. Did you consider mounting the cargo pod further to the Sentry Bot's back,on arms? Such that if you mount mortars to the thing's back,the mortars are between the chassis and the cargo pod? Further,will you be making armour plate variants of the cargo pods,like Warmonger and Voltaic?

Of course,I could easily be talking out of my ass.

As for robots that shouldn't have cargo pods,I agree that Mister Handies/Gutsies shouldn't have them,as they're hoverbots. I'd also argue that Assaultrons shouldn't get them,largely because they're purpose-built shock assault units and in the vanilla game,Assaultron parts impose carry weight penalties to the completed machine.

Speaking of Mister Gutsies; It's actually impossible in the vanilla game to convert a Mister Handy unit into a Mister Gutsy. And believe me,I've tried; You're forced to replace eyes with arms if you want to mount actual guns to the thing. Will PEACE make it possible to perform a full Mister Gutsy conversion to the Mister Handy platform?

The cargo carrier doesn't change the robot's collision as far as I can tell, so it can clip through the tops of door-frames and whatever else (which isn't great), but it shouldn't make sentry bots even worse at navigating tight spaces, for what it's worth.

As long as the mortar shells come out of where they look like they should, I lined things up so that they shouldn't intersect the cargo carrier. (Unless it's animated in a way I'm not expecting, maybe. I haven't tested mortar fire with it yet.)

My initial plan for the cargo carrier on the senty bot torso was to have it attach to the shoulder slots in place of the mortar launchers - so probably separate left and right cargo carriers by necessity - but I realised that they would block the vents on the back. Whenever the bot overheated, the steam it shoots out would have clipped through the cargo carriers. So I had to go for the weird "drum up on top" design.

I'm thinking the cargo carriers will be limited to the "Factory" armour pieces, since I don't want to do different mount designs to account for every armour type.

I think a smallish cargo carrier for the Assaultron will fit in alright, since they already have (smallish) satchel options. And remember that the carriers do have a movement speed penalty.

I have no idea if it's reasonably possible to do that with the Mister Handy arms/weapons or not. I'll have to have a look if I get time.

• 2 weeks later...

I was just testing some Automatron stuff earlier and I found that I was able to configure a bot to be like a Mister Gutsy - in the vanilla game, I mean. It does require a specific setup though, or the parts for it won't appear in the list.

It's not immediately obvious, and it's something that really shows the limitations of the list design they went with for the modification UI. A 2D or even 3D hierarchical node-based interface would probably work much better, though I expect there would be some publisher reluctance there since they overwhelmingly target console audiences and as such are allergic to interfaces that are easier and more efficient... but work better with mouse + keyboard.

Having said that, "this part really needed a better UI" is a phrase that seems to come up a lot with FO4 generally. (I'd love it if BGS hired at least one person whose sole job was doing PC-specific UIs. I think it would solve a lot of problems.)

• 1 month later...

I'm pleased to report that I'm not dead, and have even managed to squeeze some time in on the mods here and there. (Lots of time that would otherwise be spent on modding has been spent on trying to prepare as well as I can for dealing with the pandemic, or trying to keep on top of the news since so much is happening so quickly - things like that.)

Here are the cargo carriers for the Assaultron and Protectron:

- Robot Cargo Carriers 06

- Robot Cargo Carriers 07

- Robot Cargo Carriers 08

- Robot Cargo Carriers 09

- Robot Cargo Carriers 10

The Assaultron is the most humanoid of the Fallout 4 robots, so a cargo carrier that more resembled a backpack felt natural. (In lore fluff terms, the cylindrical canister at the bottom is intended for easier carrying of rifles or other long weapons/tools, or perhaps for coiled belts of ammo.)

The "Cargotron" torso is my favourite so far though. Unlike the other robot cargo carriers - which are torso armour pieces - this is a dedicated torso piece, like the Nukatron torso. The Cargotron torso can't have a head or armour pieces attached to it, but it offers the largest Carry Weight bonus of all the robot cargo carriers.

Next up is the Robobrain cargo carrier, which should be the last of them. I'm not planning to do one for the Mister Handy torso - like I said earlier - since its design doesn't really support it. (Too small, too many attach points on it.)

Not to go in depth at lengths about my reaction to run the risk of sounding overly dramatic, but I would die for Cargotron.

Really though, great work! Will there be any drawbacks for having the largest carry weight, like reduced speed or not being able to equip weapons? Protectrons aren't exactly the strongest bots, so I could see that in itself being a drawback in place of a kitted Assaultron with smaller storage.