[WIP] Project Extend And Change Everything (PEACE)

antistar

Also I was meaning to ask. I use the NPC Travel mod. Will your various cargo bots appear in game along with them? In fact will any NPCs at all in game appears with your mods?

They'll appear with armour and power armour related omods like the new Load Bearing Equipment stuff (e.g. the power armour cargo carriers), but I'm not sure about robots yet. That's something I may be looking at soon, actually.

• 1 month later...
  • Replies 210
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

So... considering the encumbrance overhaul in PEACE, I was thinking recently about the challenge of carrying enough water when venturing out into the Wasteland, and it occurred to me that in my actual real-world emergency kit, I have a portable water filter in order to tackle this exact problem. The idea is that you carry some drinking water, plus the means to gather more from potentially unsafe sources out in the field, and purify it.

I thought a portable water filter would be a good fit in PEACE, so I added one:

- Portable Water Filter 01

This is a new consumable item that takes 1 Dirty Water and returns 1 Purified Water. It's crafted at a Chemistry Station, requiring rank 2 of the Science! perk.

It's based loosely on a DIY water filter design that I liked the look of, and in-game is made from PVC pipe (Cloth x1, Copper x2, Plastic x3), activated charcoal (Acid x1, Purified Water x1, Wood x3) and bleach drops to be added after filtration (Antiseptic x1).

Crafting it produces 30 charges (technically 30 filters, but try to ignore that), each weighing 0.05 lbs, for 1.5 lbs total.

Antistar: Making an ancient and outdated engine his personal whipping boy since ever. A very clever thing,dude. And essential,considering your overhauls. Maybe consider adding a portable cooking stove of a similar concept? With the heating coil powered by Fusion Cells?

Oh yeah, a bit of the old Portable Campsite action. I have been thinking about that. Something like fadingsignal's excellent Campsite could be used, but I'm currently tossing around some ideas for something more lightweight that fits in more with PEACE's resource/encumbrance/etc balance.

A portable sleeping bag is fairly simple; a bit of extra weight to carry around, but you can sleep anywhere. (Not as well as in a proper bed though.)

I do like the idea of a hotplate powered by Microfusion Cells - and there's already a hotplate model in the game, though it's very low-detail. If I do something like this, it's currently a toss-up between that and something like a hexagon stove that I would have require charcoal briquettes that the player crafts. (It would give me more wiggle-room in balancing weight than using MFCs would.)

Either way, I'd then have the stove need to be reloaded with its power/fuel source after use, OR have it use custom crafting recipes that are largely duplicates of the existing cooking station recipes, but with MFCs/briquettes as added ingredients. I'd prefer the latter because it makes more sense and is easier to balance, but it would obviously be more tedious to do. It could be that I'd limit the number of things that can be cooked in the portable stove though, reducing the tedium for me there.

An idea for the portable cooking stove would be to keep the player from being able to make the more involved recipes,like Mirelurk Cakes or Yao Guai Roast (Which strikes me as a pot roast). If you keep it to simple slabs of grilled meat and pots of simple soups,you should be laughing,without making the stationary cooking stations useless.

For any recipes involving charcoal,maybe consider including Sim Settlements - Industrial Revolution integration,since one of the Advanced Industrial Plots,the Coal Pit,produces Coal,which is actually charcoal. In Sim Settlements,its sole purpose is to get more uses out of a different Advanced Industrial Plot's water purifier to get more daily bottles of Ultra-Pure Water (Or something like that). This way,you'd have interoperability between PEACE and Sim Settlements on what's essentially the same item.

PEACE would have to have Sim Settlements as a master for that to happen, so I wouldn't want to do that for such a relatively small feature in PEACE.

It's something that could be part of a compatibility patch if one ends up being necessary, though.

For any recipes involving charcoal,maybe consider including Sim Settlements - Industrial Revolution integration,since one of the Advanced Industrial Plots,the Coal Pit,produces Coal,which is actually charcoal. In Sim Settlements,its sole purpose is to get more uses out of a different Advanced Industrial Plot's water purifier to get more daily bottles of Ultra-Pure Water (Or something like that). This way,you'd have interoperability between PEACE and Sim Settlements on what's essentially the same item.

Could just make a plugin that'd add a recipe to turn Sim Settlements coal into PEACE charcoal, and vice versa. Balancing issues notwithstanding, it'd be a lightweight addon that'd allow functionality between the two without really breaking anything.

For a patch like that I'd probably change things to use only the resource from one mod or the other (likely Sim Settlements in this case) and then have a conversion recipe like that. The unused resource would be marked as "obsolete" and that conversion recipe would only show up if there was any of it in the player's inventory (or the Workshop inventory, I guess).