[WIP] Project Extend And Change Everything (PEACE)

antistar

Well, maybe just vanilla equipments like cleanroom suit, surgical mask and gas mask, and other people can make patch for their prefered mod themselves

Thinking more about this, another problem would be communicating to the player which clothing items have this effect. There's very limited scope when it comes to displaying descriptive text and stats on apparel (and other item types too) in FO4, because BGS are bad at UI design.

In PEACE, I've used the Legendary item system to display descriptive text on some clothing items - because that's the only way to do so that I've found. I try to be sparing with that though as it makes ordinary items kind of resemble Legendary items in the UI, and clashes with the actual Legendary system so that those clothing items can't be Legendaries in the usual FO4 sense. So I wouldn't want to use that for such a minor thing as this.

There are ways to reduce and negate the disease chance from butchering something, though. I mentioned in my post there that certain perks influence parts of the butchery system? I go into a lot more detail in the "exhaustive features list" part of the second post of the thread, including that having Animal Friend rank 1 will reduce disease chance from butchery, and rank 2 will negate it. The disease chance part of the butchery system can also be toggled on and off in the MCM menu.

• 2 weeks later...
  • Replies 210
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

Things have been hectic lately - and it's getting towards that time of year of course, so there's probably more of that incoming (year of plague permitting) - but here's a brief update:

The Sleep Ambush system is in and working. Ambush chance can be reduced by all the things I mentioned on the previous page:

- Interior/exterior

- Defence value of settlement (if you're in a settlement, of course)

- Luck stat

- Tent quality level

... And the numbers for these can be tweaked in the MCM menu. There's also an "ambush chance message threshold" slider that determines how likely an ambush has to be before you get a message-box pop up telling you that chance when you go to use a bed. I would have preferred it to be a notification-type message at the top-left of the screen, but it turns out that the game doesn't display these while you're in the sleep menu; it waits until after you exit the menu (whether you sleep or not), which was no good. So it had to be a message-box.

By default the threshold is 1%, so you're warned if there's any chance at all you'll be ambushed, but you won't get the message-box if it's perfectly safe. It ranges from 0% (always show the message) through to 100% (never show the message), though.

Oh; you can be ambushed by multiple enemies at once; by default up to 3 (or up to 1 in the case of large enemies like deathclaws and sentry bots), but that's configurable too.

If you're in a location that's specifically called out as being inhabited by ghouls, or by bugs, or by raiders, etc, then you'll be ambushed by appropriate enemies. Otherwise it'll be a random selection based on Far Harbor/everywhere else and inside/outside - which can mean that you'll be rudely awoken by enemies who are also fighting each other - not just you. (Randomly picking one enemy type and then spawning multiples of that type is possible, of course; just a lot more fiddly - and I like the idea of some emergent multi-faction fights breaking out via this system anyway.)

I'll probably show a demo video of the system in action once I've done the camping items too - bedroll, tents, camp-fire, etc. That way I can show it all together.

In the meantime, I'm also in the process of making a minor change to the Scrounger perk. Minor to describe, anyway. It's a bit tedious to implement. I'll just paste in the bit on it from the readme:

Scrounger
- Now also increases the crops found when harvesting plants.
--- Rank 1: 50% chance for double the yield.
--- Rank 2: Crop yield is always doubled.
--- Rank 3: Crop yield is always doubled, plus a 50% chance to triple it.
--- Rank 4: Crop yield is always tripled.
- Rank 4 no longer has a 5% (+Luck) chance to somehow spontaneously manifest ammo out of thin air when you fire the last round in your weapon.
- Rank 4 now increases your chances of finding extra ammo in containers beyond what Rank 3 does.
- Unchanged: Chance of finding extra ammo in containers.

Like I was saying re: the Butchery system and the These Things Take Time system, in PEACE, a lot more time is going to be passing, so your character will need a lot more food. This change to Scrounger will be another pathway to getting more food.

• 2 weeks later...

It's been an uphill battle the last few days finding time to record and post this footage, since my dad had surgery yesterday (it went fine, fortunately) and also it's getting close to Christmas obviously... but here's a video haphazardly showing some of the recent features in PEACE:

- Camping and Sleep Ambush System 01

It shows:

- The butchery system, with random predator ambush.
- The camping system, with portable tents/bedrolls and cooking pots.
- Food requires wood to cook.
- Scavenging for wood with a camping hatchet.
- The sleep ambush system, along with a brief look at its MCM options.

(Still got that graphical glitch at night, presumably from a weather mod. Haven't had time to keep my installed mods up to date while working on WARS and PEACE.)

• 1 month later...

Hey; recently in PEACE I gave bottle caps a realistic weight value (0.005 lbs each, so 200 caps will weigh 1 lb), so on top of using a mod that allows you to Stash Those Caps, it would be useful to be able to deposit them in a bank account and withdraw them when and where you need them.

With that in mind I added these "Captain ATM" branded ATMs for depositing and withdrawing caps wherever you can find (or build) one. Both the ATM and sign respectively can be built at settlements (the ATM requiring rank 2 of the Local Leader perk), and I've added ATMs to a number of locations in the Wasteland:

- Cap ATM 01

Beyond the "caps have weight" thing, I'm also considering making a death alternative mod (later, once WARS and PEACE are out) that would have a number of scenarios that could happen instead of dying - e.g. being robbed and left for dead. A canny survivor might decide to bank their caps before venturing out, just in they get robbed...

Oh, and you can earn interest too, of course. The interest rate defaults to 1% per day, but can be configured in PEACE's MCM menu.

• 3 weeks later...

Hey, hello. I've been working on a whole bunch of more minor features in PEACE lately, so here's an update. (I'll probably forget some of them, so check out the exhaustive feature list part of the second post if you want to browse through the updated readme draft.)

I'm sure you don't need me to tell you that the FallUI mods are amazing. FallUI Workbench has a "multi-craft" feature so that you can craft things in batches of up to ten at a time. It made me realise that the "These Things Take Time" (TTTT) feature in PEACE wouldn't handle that properly; it would only advance enough time to account for crafting one thing, not (up to) ten. Or rather... it would advance time for two things - but I'll get to that.

So I decided to go back and change the script to handle batch-crafting - and while I was at it, have it be faster to craft things in batches, via a batch-crafting efficiency multiplier. That wasn't very difficult, but it brought to light a weird quirk - and I'm not sure if the quirk is in the base game, FallUI Workbench, or PEACE. TTTT detects when you've crafted something via registering for stat events; in other words the script gets notified to do its thing when the stat counter in the Pip-Boy for "chems crafted" or "food cooked" or whatever goes up.

The weird thing is that with the multi-craft feature in FallUI, the TTTT script is receiving that event twice; once for the first item, and then again for the rest of the items - so it's not calculating the batch efficiency time properly. The first item still takes the regular, full time to craft. I tried a whole bunch of things to get around that, without luck so far. One beneficial side effect of these attempts though is that you don't technically need FallUI Workbench to "batch-craft" things (in terms of TTTT time efficiency); if you just hammer the "craft" button quickly, the TTTT script will detect it as batch-crafting and it will take less time in-game. ;)

Anyway... it's a weird problem, but even if it doesn't work exactly the way I wanted it to, it still technically does what I wanted; batch-crafting is handled, and is more time-efficient.

What else...

Hmm - well, I added Brahmin Milk. It turns up in settlements that have Brahmin, the same way that fertiliser does. It (the milk, not the fertiliser) reduces Rads when you drink it.

I made almost all food prepared from irradiated ingredients still be irradiated, just less so.

I tweaked several perks. The Sneak perks now only take effect if you're not in power armour, and are actually currently sneaking. That includes things like not setting off floor-based traps. Other perks that would basically completely remove mechanics from the game (e.g. addiction, needing to hold your breath underwater, limbs getting crippled, etc) have been changed to just reduce the chance/impact of those things, not rip them out completely.

I just finished adding in a small feature - and actually I'll just paste in the bit from the readme on that:

- Power Armor Repair Kits ("PARKs") added.
--- These are simply bundles of all the components required to repair a full suit of each respective power armour type, so there is one variant for each:
----- PARK Raider, PARK T-45, PARK T-51, PARK T-60 and PARK X-01.
--- They are Aid items; use to unpack. (This is so that the components are not automatically consumed when crafting something else.)
--- To be clear, you still need to use a Power Armor Station to repair power armour. PARKs do not repair the armour themselves.
--- PARKs can be crafted at the Fabrication Bench, or found in loot or at vendors.

Lots of other little tweaks, fixes and additions.

PEACE is actually pretty close to being finished, I realised recently. Barring proper testing, that is; that's the catch. I need to play through the game normally with PEACE (and WARS, crucially) installed to check that it all works and makes sense. Shortly I'll be moving onto getting WARS into a state where I can do that, like I was just talking about in the WARS WIP thread.

• 2 months later...

Same here; I can't wait for it to be finished either. (For people who don't know, I haven't played FO4 since I finished my first playthrough when the game came out. I've been dying to play it again, but don't want to do it until WARS and PEACE are ready.)

I'm hard at work on WARS right now, and once that's ready, both it and PEACE can finally get some long-form gameplay testing to see if they're really ready to go.

Keep up the good work antistar,

Same thing here, haven't played FO4 since a little after launch so excited to go in new when your mod is ready. Also let us know if you need any help with anything. Thank you for keeping us posted.

Thanks; I'll certainly appreciate people's help with a closed beta test once the mods are ready for that. I'll put the call out in the WARS and PEACE WIP threads at that point, but people can feel free to let me know whenever if they're interested, and I'll make a note of it.

I expect that I'll make both WARS and PEACE available to people who offer to help with the beta - because they are designed to complement each other - but if someone is only interested in one or the other and only tests that one, that's fine too.

I've probably mentioned this before, but based on how I've done betas in the past, it'll probably go like this: I'll PM a location with download links to testers - and any updates during the beta will also be available at that location (so I don't have to send around new links every time).

As for what I'd expect from testers, I'd basically just want them to install the mod/s and play the game (it'd have to be on a new save given the nature of the mods) - and then let me know in the thread/s if they run into any problems.