⚠ Known Issue: Media on User Profiles ×

Overcoming Crashes (CTD) Once and for All

LtSurge

I have found that backup is your friend, not just for files.

I am using Vortex and have created about 7 or 8 profiles under that:

1. Default - contains FO 4 game with unofficial patch

2. Clone of #1 with 5 or 6 of the tools/mods I always use

3. Clone of #2 with wider variety of useful things (weapons,locations,companions, etc)

4. Clone of #2 with Horizon specific additions

5. Clone of #2 with Sim Settlements specific additions

6. Clone of #2 with Outcasts and Remnants specific additions

7. Working version of current game

In Vortex there are 150+ mods installed for the current game; but in each item, only those listed for a profile are active. I find it safer, if there are problems, to clone the 'master' profile and add the additional mods to fill it in order to locate complications. I'm not comfortable deactivating, or deleting mods after the fact. I actually have about three other profiles of current games where I'm trying various overhauls.

I have not had any CTDs related to the mods. I have had a couple when trying to do too many things too quickly!

The Homemaker 1.72 issue is in the Fences menu. Any attempt to use the guard barrier fence type results in an immediate CTD. As I said, the author knows.

Now, like anything else, this may be a symptom brought on by a collision with other mods. I use SOE, Snappy HouseKit and NorthlandDiggers, all of which add fences. And I use Snappable Junk Fences.

The Homemaker 1.72 issue is in the Fences menu. Any attempt to use the guard barrier fence type results in an immediate CTD. As I said, the author knows.

Now, like anything else, this may be a symptom brought on by a collision with other mods. I use SOE, Snappy HouseKit and NorthlandDiggers, all of which add fences. And I use Snappable Junk Fences.

That's never a good idea. Using mods that basically alter the same ingame resources. For example, I'm still using "Don't call me Settler" without any issues. The mod author took it down ages ago because of numerous complaints, but I never ran into any of them. Probably simply because I don't use any other mods running similar scripts.

Edited by cossayos

• 4 months later...

As someone else stated, the game itself has problems which cause CTD's. Another reason for game crashing with mods can be your load order. I use a program called LOOT to sort my mods. https://loot.github.io/

This tool checks your mods for conflicts. https://www.nexusmods.com/fallout4/mods/2737/

You may also have a corrupted save so I use this one to check Saved Game files. https://www.nexusmods.com/skyrimspecialedition/mods/5031/

I prefer to copy the last saved game to the desktop before I run it in the FO4 saved games folder. I've never needed to revert back but it's always better to be safe.

That's never a good idea. Using mods that basically alter the same ingame resources. For example, I'm still using "Don't call me Settler" without any issues. The mod author took it down ages ago because of numerous complaints, but I never ran into any of them. Probably simply because I don't use any other mods running similar scripts.

Trouble is, for the settlement mods, there isn't one 'end-all be-all' mod that adds everything. There are many out there, and they all have some overlap. It's pretty much unavoidable.

yeah, also CTD on startup before main menue.
I can see my ENB/Reshade loading infos and then boom..

seems like running a .exe backup script alone isn't the real thing to be prepared
did overwrite the patched .exe with my backup Fallout4.exe_for_F4SE_0.6.16. At least no error messages from script extender and mods but that startup CTD is new, never had that before after such a procedure.... :sad:

SOLUTION
https://www.reddit.com/r/fo4/comments/dzazrk/how_to_revert_todays_game_patch_for_f4se_easy_10/

Edited by christhetwin83

Trouble is, for the settlement mods, there isn't one 'end-all be-all' mod that adds everything. There are many out there, and they all have some overlap. It's pretty much unavoidable.

So make a decision what you actually need on a daily basis and what you only file under nice to have.

I don't use anything else than Sim Settlements.

• 1 year later...