Stadia and other online streaming services

Mudran

I just realized that the same way Bethesda felt like not in touch with players who are independently using mods for years without them being involved, PC games was one area of gaming industry not being monthly monetized. Isn't Google Stadia and other technology like that (for now) a nice way how to monetize monthly PC gamers the same way how console players are the whole time and wasn't payment of console players the inspiration model for this?

I'm in depression from devs and their assclimbing friends from online games changing your favourite games to worse with you not being to do anything about it - that is why I prefer singleplayer games on GOG, so I guess I can see the black future of the world of Cyberpunk and Watch Dogs Legion before me only... (I mean the fight with corporations not the games)

Edited by Mudran

These online streaming services REALLY worry me.

Because what I see them as, is, you buy a game, but you don't even download it, instead you just stream it instead, so you can't even own a physical copy, and will instead pay for a "service" to be allowed to BUY a game, to pay to stream.

I have a sinking feeling that THIS is the ultimate eventuality of this 'streaming tech'

Another reason why they are trying to establish this is other media example/model - like spotify or netflix - thinking that if it works there, it should work for games as well. But I believe they are wrong.

The problem is that 1 music track gets old very fast, sometimes an album is way too much monotonic with 1 theme or voice so you have to search for alternatives all the time, that is why radio stations are still popular. When some people prefer only the music and have internet connection, spotify is there replacing radios.

The same with movies - I never bought a movie, I went to a cinema if I wanted to see it or watched it on TV. Why? Because you see it once and you don't really feel the need repeating that for a long time with some exceptions. Also it is 1-2 hours of entertainment, it is not worthy of the price which is quite often similar to discounted games.

But games are for several hours, days or moths, also some people are slow players - why they would want a monthly service if they are going to play the game sporadically for a year? So the only games which would fit into this category are mobile games, but hey, free to play mobile games are so money making, so I guess there is not such a need for that on the side of devs.

What worries me is that some youtubers started to propagate this model a lot - what they get out of this? It is not their problem or is it? I think they even called people who want to buy games nerds - or maybe that was for retail games, but anyway, I don't think it is connected to nerds who do like physical copies - I think quite often it is a gift for children. But overall isn't this more for those, who play a lot of games, rather than for someone who have a few favourites and even want a collectors edition from that?

Edited by Mudran

When it comes to streaming data itself I guess the main use would be for MMO and online games, PvP games needs fast reactions and MMOs have such big data that it has usually bad impact, so I guess they could be really big without problems and it is a service already.

Ah yes, this service. "hey guys, would you like to own your games even less than you are while paying us a buttload of cash to allow you to play the games you don't own?"

• 10 months later...

The same with movies - I never bought a movie, I went to a cinema if I wanted to see it or watched it on TV. Why? Because you see it once and you don't really feel the need repeating that for a long time with some exceptions. Also it is 1-2 hours of entertainment, it is not worthy of the price which is quite often similar to discounted games.