Vortex.exe deleted itself

Antioch666

• Replies 64
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

Lol at people pretending this HAS to be caused by overly aggressive AV software. I don't have AV software of any kind on my PC and when I go to launch Vortex today the .exe is just gone. I know I didn't delete it, nor did any other piece of software on my computer.

Do you have Windows Defender?

Because an EXE cannot be programmed to delete itself.

Did you update Vortex today?

Lol at people pretending this HAS to be caused by overly aggressive AV software. I don't have AV software of any kind on my PC and when I go to launch Vortex today the .exe is just gone. I know I didn't delete it, nor did any other piece of software on my computer.

We're not saying it has to be an AV, we're saying it can't be Vortex itself.

Saying Vortex.exe deleted itself is like saying you can stand on your own shoulders. It can't be done, you need a second player in this.

Is there any upgrade scenario, where Vortex Install deletes the old version - and the new install fails?

Yes, it's happened a couple of times in here where someone was shutting down their computer for the night, so they shut down Vortex, Vortex started the upgrade process, and they shut their computer down, which canceled the update process, AFTER the old Vortex had been deleted

• 1 month later...

Just chiming in that I have the same issue. Seems to be more of an annoyance since reinstalling seems to fix it but just adding my experience to the stats. I am running Windows 10 Home and use McAfee AV. No changes in the AV log.

It doesn't specifically have to show up as "Vortex.exe" in the AV log.

The updated versions of Vortex removes the Vortex Folder, and installs everything again from the new version, your AV could be blocking something from the installer package with an entirely different name that prevents Vortex.exe from being installed,

I have Windows Defender disabled and no other Antivirus/Malware running and happened to me with last update. This not always happens. Don't have a clue of what its causing this, I understand it can't be Vortex itself.

I used to have Windows Defender when it started to happen, I saw this post and disabled it. No a problem for a while until a few days.

I'm honestly intrigued.