Why I am NOT Voting for Trump in 2020

MrJoseCuervo

There is good reason to accept that the language of the 2nd amendment has nothing to do with a personal right to own firearms. http://faculty.las.illinois.edu/debaron/essays/guns.pdf [its a long read if you want to dig through it]

Except for a certain Supreme Court decision.......

Given that nothing like that is happening in the US currently, and that it is likely not going to happen in the foreseeable future, it seems like a moot point. The real killer of the idea of "protection from the government" or "revolt against tyranny" mindset is that the anti-government forces would have to be comparably armed to the government forces to have much of a chance, which is not going to happen without a really broad reading of what " arms" constitutes to allow all of the fun military toys,

And then there is the whole Posse Comitatas act, that essentially forbids the use of the armed forces, against american citizens, on american soil. Getting around that little bit of legislation would be difficult, if not impossible.....

Obama droned American citizens. Once they call you a terrorist the constitution means nothing.

• Replies 225
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

There is good reason to accept that the language of the 2nd amendment has nothing to do with a personal right to own firearms. http://faculty.las.illinois.edu/debaron/essays/guns.pdf [its a long read if you want to dig through it]

Given that nothing like that is happening in the US currently, and that it is likely not going to happen in the foreseeable future, it seems like a moot point. The real killer of the idea of "protection from the government" or "revolt against tyranny" mindset is that the anti-government forces would have to be comparably armed to the government forces to have much of a chance, which is not going to happen without a really broad reading of what " arms" constitutes to allow all of the fun military toys,

And then there is the whole Posse Comitatas act, that essentially forbids the use of the armed forces, against american citizens, on american soil. Getting around that little bit of legislation would be difficult, if not impossible.....

Obama droned American citizens. Once they call you a terrorist the constitution means nothing.

Obama droned american citizens, but, NOT on american soil. :D

Well, lets look at this a bit. The insurgents in afghanistan most certainly are not as well armed as our military, yet, they control just as much territory today, if not more.... than they did when we first invaded. It's called "asymmetric warfare." And our military has demonstrated that they simply aren't very good at it. And that is fighting against a bunch of fractured groups, all fighting for different reasons, with inter-tribal/clan issues as well. They don't always cooperate, yet, they are still a reasonably effective fighting force. Here in the US, if it came right down to it, the army would be fighting against a LARGE group of 'insurgents', all with the same goal in mind. There would be a sniper in every window, and no road would be safe for them. They wouldn't be able to tell who was an enemy, and who was a friend, until the shooting actually started. They wouldn't be able to go to the latrine without taking casualties.

Look at the Patriot act man. All this talk about legislation, when we all know that when people are scared, the government can step in and pass just about anything and label it national security. They can call out The National Guard and say the regular Army is supporting them. Heck, when John Brown took over that facility down South, wasn't it Robert E Lee who lead some regular military types to take it back?

Yeah, the government really suckered us on the patriot act. (I told my representatives to vote NO!!! on that..... of course, they didn't listen.)

But that was to combat an external threat. What we have going on now is an attack on our constitution. That isn't going to go over well. With anyone. Including a significant percentage of those in the military. All it takes is for one general to say: "Nope, not going to do that, it's an illegal, unconstitutional order." And the army stands down, and thumbs their collective noses at the government.

Yeah, the government really suckered us on the patriot act. (I told my representatives to vote NO!!! on that..... of course, they didn't listen.)

But that was to combat an external threat. What we have going on now is an attack on our constitution. That isn't going to go over well. With anyone. Including a significant percentage of those in the military. All it takes is for one general to say: "Nope, not going to do that, it's an illegal, unconstitutional order." And the army stands down, and thumbs their collective noses at the government.

Well, I can see parts of the military defecting even if the Generals say they'll back the government. But what I am saying is that the country is so polarized that many would welcome the government stepping in, just as long as the right party is in power and they've scapegoated the opposition effectively enough to gain their support.

Just look at the situation today. President Trump got in under a protest vote. The next President will do the same, seeing that from all I've heard, all the hopefuls have placed getting rid of President Trump high on their agenda.

Heck, look at the uproar about the Electoral College. Do you think those who initiated that would have done so if their person was in the White House.

Well, I can see parts of the military defecting even if the Generals say they'll back the government. But what I am saying is that the country is so polarized that many would welcome the government stepping in, just as long as the right party is in power and they've scapegoated the opposition effectively enough to gain their support.

Just look at the situation today. President Trump got in under a protest vote. The next President will do the same, seeing that from all I've heard, all the hopefuls have placed getting rid of President Trump high on their agenda.

Heck, look at the uproar about the Electoral College. Do you think those who initiated that would have done so if their person was in the White House.

Yeah, many would cheer the government on, no doubt of that. Of course, there are likely equally as many folks that would start cheering for the opposition, and perhaps even join them...... Or.... The government would SERIOUSLY overstep, do something like suspend civil rights, and impose martial law, to make their house to house search easier..... I would like to think that would tend to alienate BOTH sides.... but then, there are probably folks out there that would cheer THAT on as well, so long as the government told them often enough, and loud enough, that it was 'temporary'..... Depending on who was in office, it may or may not actually BE temporary.......

I really hope I don't live long enough to see that......

The economy is doing great (on paper) like it was during Obama. The difference is prices are going thru the roof. In my current occupation (retail), wages are still as low as they were during Obama despite the lack of people willing to work for those wages. This means more overtime if you are willing to work it. The DNC establishment reliance on the media is now killing them. The media narratives being pushed like the Cortez idiot is destroying any chance the DNC has, but the media doesn't care about the consequences. In fact they are turning on the Dems and some cases themselves when they feel the need for credibility. The RNC establishment is generally hell bent on sabotaging Trump to save face, damn the consequences. Graham and McConnell are both "stretched rubber bands" and will snap back to the establishment rut so fast after Trump there will be sonic booms heard throughout the beltway. What worries me is Trump has set the bar so high and has things running at such a pace, what is going to happen when he leaves in a few years and is replaced by the usual self centered complacency of the establishment? Who can replace this guy?

The economy is doing great (on paper) like it was during Obama. The difference is prices are going thru the roof. In my current occupation (retail), wages are still as low as they were during Obama despite the lack of people willing to work for those wages. This means more overtime if you are willing to work it. The DNC establishment reliance on the media is now killing them. The media narratives being pushed like the Cortez idiot is destroying any chance the DNC has, but the media doesn't care about the consequences. In fact they are turning on the Dems and some cases themselves when they feel the need for credibility. The RNC establishment is generally hell bent on sabotaging Trump to save face, damn the consequences. Graham and McConnell are both "stretched rubber bands" and will snap back to the establishment rut so fast after Trump there will be sonic booms heard throughout the beltway. What worries me is Trump has set the bar so high and has things running at such a pace, what is going to happen when he leaves in a few years and is replaced by the usual self centered complacency of the establishment? Who can replace this guy?

I don't know about raising the bar. More like raising the anticipation levels of those who back you. The flash and the glitter are equally shared by President Trump and Representative Cortez, but would they hold much of that at all if it weren't the hype coming from the media at every turn.

I think neither the Republicans nor the Democrats will be unchanged after President Trump leaves office. I don't think their perspective constituents would allow them to do so. I would be surprised if either side will not slit off from the core establishment of both parties. The juviniles on either side have had a taste of power and influence and I don't think they will stand for something, they would call weak.

The one thing about ideology is that there is always someone out there who will always think that they have better convictions than those around him and they are the ones who will lead us all into their brand of the promised land.