Rep System gone.

Deleted2547005User

Oh, thought it was just me and my web browser acting like crap again.

Personally I liked the rep system, but I'm not here for up/down voting someones comment. Here for the mods and to learn about modding myself. Plus being able to actually talk to the modder themselves is a major plus for me.

Besides, I'm not a paying member(yet) so who am I to complain?

That is ok if you are not a paying member, this site was not designed for Paying members only, if that was the case there would have been Zero Chance for it to have grown to what it is today.

So Never feel that you don't have a voice in the site, because by making your post you have proved that You Indeed Do have one. :thumbsup:

• Replies 85
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

Then what? Let's see what just deleting the troll posts might cause:

Based on what I've seen over on the Steam Workshop, your doomsday scenario never plays out. It's the one positive thing they have going for the service over there. Get trolled? Delete the comment. They try again? Block them - no more troll.

I found that at least in my own threads aggressively keeping them at bay this way has worked wonders. They don't bother to try again, and even the spammers who find their way to my stuff every now and then don't come back.

SW arguably has a lot more people roaming through it on a daily basis than Nexus does too. So it isn't a population issue. I don't think anything substantially different would happen here if authors were able to delete posts in their comments.

That is ok if you are not a paying member, this site was not designed for Paying members only, if that was the case there would have been Zero Chance for it to have grown to what it is today.

So Never feel that you don't have a voice in the site, because by making your post you have proved that You Indeed Do have one. :thumbsup:

Lol, well I do agree there. Even so, I wouldn't mind helping out. I used to own a site that wasn't anywhere near as large as this one. So I can only imagine the costs. Hell, I never even heard of a Petabyte until I was reading through one of the articles posted on the site news regarding the download times/bandwidth statement.

Anyway, between that and some of the modders, I still feel a little obligated to donate something. For now I only have(had) the Rep system, and endorsements to give out.

I found that at least in my own threads aggressively keeping them at bay this way has worked wonders. They don't bother to try again, and even the spammers who find their way to my stuff every now and then don't come back.

You seem to be painting a bemusing one sided picture considering you've also been on the receiving end of "authors" who have stolen your work on Steam Workshop and deleted any trace of your comments on their uploads that have attempted to inform people that it's stolen and that you don't approve.

Then what? Let's see what just deleting the troll posts might cause:

Based on what I've seen over on the Steam Workshop, your doomsday scenario never plays out. It's the one positive thing they have going for the service over there. Get trolled? Delete the comment. They try again? Block them - no more troll.

SW arguably has a lot more people roaming through it on a daily basis than Nexus does too. So it isn't a population issue. I don't think anything substantially different would happen here if authors were able to delete posts in their comments.

The same works over on YouTube, we all know what a hole that place is yet my videos which tend to be troll magnets get very little crap these days because I always remove comments from fools prior to blocking them. Trolls aren't going to bother if the only response they get is a vanishing post and a block.

You seem to be painting a bemusing one sided picture considering you've also been on the receiving end of "authors" who have stolen your work on Steam Workshop and deleted any trace of your comments on their uploads that have attempted to inform people that it's stolen and that you don't approve.

Surely accusations of theft should be the subject of a proper report rather than something dealt with in the comments?

If you have access to the mod author's forum then you can go back to this topic where I brought this up for the mod authors to discuss, and also where you, Jim, said it was a bad idea to let mod authors moderate their own comments, as did a high majority of others. If your opinion has changed it would be good if you aired your opinions there and tried to start up another debate on the topic. The results of the last one were pretty conclusive.

I was in favour of blocking and it's the blocking that works on YouTube, just deleting comments doesn't stop people, I know that from experience. I've reported comments here that were then removed only to have the person come back on more than one occasion and do it again. One even resorted to personal abuse on his third post, something that he couldn't have done if I'd been able to block him the first time. Casting 99 red arrows on the offender was also effective, a feature I suggested should be given to all file authors, no one liked having their posts down repped and I assume it worked against trolls for the same reason.

I found being able to bury posts with 99 red arrows very effective, you'd only have to do it twice at most before they gave up and went away. It was far more effective than just having the comments removed, in my experience they come back and trolled again if the comment is removed.

This, this, this! When I noticed that suddenly my ability to instantly -99 rep stupid posts was gone, I was very unhappy. I have yet to get any "true" trolls in the sense that they keep coming back, but I have received random, stupid comments that I wish to downrep so that at least I and my downloaders don't have to read them. Now I can do nothing... but look at this stupid comment on my page. It's not enough to "report," I feel, but it's stupid enough that I want to be able to remove it or have it hidden in some way. I'm a paying user, and I want this feature (or something to replace it) back!

/end-rant

I get very good download speeds now on the normal servers, and the Premium servers don't yield anything further (for me anyway, got very good internet to begin with). Of course it's moot since I got the ability as a supporter to -99 down rep posts into oblivion, but for those Non-Supporter/Non-Premium mod author's that are like me and get excellent speed from the normal servers and want to be able to bury idiot posts, Premium isn't very enticing.