BLOG PIECE: Nexus development and expansion philosophy

Dark0ne

• Replies 136
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

9/10, would read again.

Thanks for sharing your insights on all of this Dark0ne. Its truly fascinating, and I'm pleased to see that community is key to operations - it certainly shows.

"The longest process in that list is in finding a colour scheme that works that I haven’t already used. It’s bloody hard to do!" - haha yes, I've found myself quite eager to see what color has been picked each time a new nexus is added.

Keep up the good work (yourself, the three others and our moderators)!

Theres no place like nexus.

Very interesting indeed :)

Thanks for sharing your thoughts in such detail (and of course for the Nexus in general ;)).

It answered pretty much every question I had regarding the (new) Nexus sites.

Edited by m0nster

Thank you for your detailed musing on nexus site creation and the well-organized and thoughtful process it entails. I admire you for your consistency and balance within the community. I am often impressed with the high quality of people who frequent this site. This quality is evident in both the tenor of the discussion threads and in the quality and detail put into the created mods. From Imp of the Perverse's IMCN and and Chesko's Frostfall and Wearable lanterns to Gopher's DYNAVISION and Jaysus' Jaysus Swords mods, this community is dedicated to excellence and immersion. Thank you for providing this great service to this awesome community.

Professor Robert Black

Hello there,

Thank you for the detailed discussion on the philosophy behind Nexus.

While corporate and financial metrics are obviously important, it is heartening to see that what drives Nexus is a sense of whether the game and Nexus match each other and what each party can bring to the relationship.

As an aside, I'm pleased to see that cRPGs still play such a prominent role in Nexus. The news that Nexus is supporting Obsidian's Project Eternity was a small but definite part of my decision to back their Kickstarter campaign. It will be interesting to see what comes of that one!

Cheers.

It's ironic that I found this thread in a search for topics on Crusader Kings 2. I actually wanted to ask why a CK2 nexus doesn't exist. It seems like the modding community on their main site is pretty active and there are a number of threads there asking the same question. Some people seem to think that there isn't one or there won't be one because Paradox won't allow it for various reasons. In the latest thread there were even people posting "in b4 lock", though no such thing has happened after 2 pages worth of discussion. Anyways, CK2 is woefully in need of better place for the community to host and advertise their mods than is currently available. I was just wondering, given what Dark0ne discussed in the OP, if a CK2 nexus is something that might be considered.

It's ironic that I found this thread in a search for topics on Crusader Kings 2. I actually wanted to ask why a CK2 nexus doesn't exist. It seems like the modding community on their main site is pretty active and there are a number of threads there asking the same question. Some people seem to think that there isn't one or there won't be one because Paradox won't allow it for various reasons. In the latest thread there were even people posting "in b4 lock", though no such thing has happened after 2 pages worth of discussion. Anyways, CK2 is woefully in need of better place for the community to host and advertise their mods than is currently available. I was just wondering, given what Dark0ne discussed in the OP, if a CK2 nexus is something that might be considered.

I got in contact with quite a few CK2 modders in the community and only one didn't seem to think the idea would stick. So I made a very diplomatic and approachable thread (much akin to this blog piece) in the private modding forums at Paradox Plaza trying to stir a discussion on whether the community felt the need for anything more in regards to distributing and spreading mods. I spoke about the inherent issues with using a private forum for mod distribution, expressed my understanding of why a private forum was being used as a measure against piracy and mentioned our 11 year efforts to prevent blatant pirates from using the Nexus sites. After about 2 pages of very positive reaction, discussion and debate from various modders on the forums, my account was banned without explanation, the thread was deleted and any trace removed. I believe the official reason was "advertisement thread" or some such. Amusing, since the only link back to the Nexus was the first line explaining "My name is Robin and I run NexusMods.com".

I attempted to contact the moderator "Forzaa" to diplomatically enquire as to why I was banned and that account was also banned without warning or reason. So I let the mod authors who I'd been in contact know about what had happened and moved on.

Many mod authors from the community consequently contacted me either here or via email to let me know how bad they felt about how the situation had been handled by the Paradox moderators. They wanted me to enquire further to find out whether Forzaa (or any other moderator at PP) was acting on behalf of Paradox or whether it was just a knee-jerk reaction from some lower downs. I thanked them for their very kind words, but told them I'd moved on to other projects but they'd be more than welcome to enquire themselves as to what the policy was on the matter.

Getting banned for even mentioning the Nexus was a first, but hey, I'm not going to get upset about it. There's no need.

I'd recommend not enquiring too much about it on the Paradox Plaza forums. They seem to be a little touchy about the subject :)

After about 2 pages of very positive reaction, discussion and debate from various modders on the forums, my account was banned without explanation, the thread was deleted and any trace removed. I believe the official reason was "advertisement thread" or some such. Amusing, since the only link back to the Nexus was the first line explaining "My name is Robin and I run NexusMods.com".

I think you probably broke 'commandment' number 7:

"{No External Links} You will not post a link to an external website or forum without prior approval of an Administrator."

Yeah, they don't have rules they have 'commandments'. That's a good sign... :rolleyes: