The shaming of non-premium users needs to stop!

• Replies 536
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

Remember back in the 90s and early 2000s when the entire Internet was free, people paid for their server bandwidth with banner ads no one ever clicked on, and had a day job that didn't involve running a website or server so they could play video games all day? I remember those. Those will never come back, and it's because of people like the majority of commenters in this thread propping up horribly bad business practices. Somehow it became acceptable to make website owners become pushy beggars demanding we turn off our adblocker and purchase a premium membership just to get the perks of actually having broadband internet. We get plenty of reminders that sites use cookies, as if that hasn't been a thing forever, generating passive income by tracking users who visit the site. Meanwhile, bandwidth costs would remain constant if people didn't have this impression that putting it off on the consumer makes it right. He's got the right idea - rebel against the ISP to get them to quit ripping people off. They use no more or less electricity, so the cost of bandwidth is completely artificial. That means all you holier than thou posters ragging on this guy for wanting common sense business practices are idiots, attacking the very person that already pays bills and taxes, including his ISP connection, which means this stuff is already paid for. By all of us. Yes, you too. You're being ripped off and you're too proud to admit you are a sucker, who really thinks ads and subscriptions pay for bandwidth and the internet. You desperately throw out the notion that we deserve to pay even more for a service that we've already paid for.

Blind damn fools.

No, nobody goes because that was never a thing.

Wait times aren't gonna make me shill out, they're just gonna annoy me and make me see if i can find other sites to download my mods from. I don't have the disposable income to spend on a premium membership to a site where the payment doesnt go to the content creators. I may decide to donate to specific mod makers if i can, but annoying me into getting premium membership will drive me off the site before i buy it.

Wait times aren't gonna make me shill out, they're just gonna annoy me and make me see if i can find other sites to download my mods from. I don't have the disposable income to spend on a premium membership to a site where the payment doesnt go to the content creators. I may decide to donate to specific mod makers if i can, but annoying me into getting premium membership will drive me off the site before i buy it.

Nexus has already instituted a system where part of their revenue goes back to MAs via Donation Points - worth reading those news posts once in a while. Nobody's forcing you to get premium regardless, you can keep downloading your mods here. But I'm sure you can find better sites if it's such a hassle.

Nice passive-aggressiveness, however, you already don't pay anything to use the site, so why do non-paying members think that threatening to take their non-paying 'business' elsewhere affects ANYBODY?

All you'll manage to do by leaving is save the Nexus some bandwidth.

Guest deleted34304850

don't let the door hit your a$$ on the way out, happy christmas.

Remember back in the 90s and early 2000s when the entire Internet was free, people paid for their server bandwidth with banner ads no one ever clicked on, and had a day job that didn't involve running a website or server so they could play video games all day? I remember those. Those will never come back, and it's because of people like the majority of commenters in this thread propping up horribly bad business practices. Somehow it became acceptable to make website owners become pushy beggars demanding we turn off our adblocker and purchase a premium membership just to get the perks of actually having broadband internet. We get plenty of reminders that sites use cookies, as if that hasn't been a thing forever, generating passive income by tracking users who visit the site. Meanwhile, bandwidth costs would remain constant if people didn't have this impression that putting it off on the consumer makes it right. He's got the right idea - rebel against the ISP to get them to quit ripping people off. They use no more or less electricity, so the cost of bandwidth is completely artificial. That means all you holier than thou posters ragging on this guy for wanting common sense business practices are idiots, attacking the very person that already pays bills and taxes, including his ISP connection, which means this stuff is already paid for. By all of us. Yes, you too. You're being ripped off and you're too proud to admit you are a sucker, who really thinks ads and subscriptions pay for bandwidth and the internet. You desperately throw out the notion that we deserve to pay even more for a service that we've already paid for.

Blind damn fools.

As someone who started out on the "internet" in the 1980s with Pre-AOL, that at the time was called "Q-Link", it was expensive as hell, because you paid for a PER MINUTE Connection, not one monthly free for unlimited access.

And depending on your usage, you could end up with very large bills that you had to pay all at once.

One Month I ran my 'internet' bill up to $236

After Q-Link, I switched to Compuserve, which was expensive as well, because it was also PER MINUTE.

Also, I'd like to point out that what YOU think are "Common Sense Business Practices", have NOTHING to do with giving 18,000,000 (Eighteen Million) people Free access to everything while hemorrhaging money by doing so.

I notice that so many of these "I want free stuffz" posts are usually "Argumentum ad populums" as in "WE want this", "WE'LL go elsewhere", "This is unfair to US"

Lot of Bravehearts in here.

Remember back in the 90s and early 2000s when the entire Internet was free ...

Were you in the military or using a college computer lab? If not then your internet was never free.

... people paid for their server bandwidth with banner ads no one ever clicked on ...

Nope. Cause this isn't a viable business model and anyone trying to run a site 100% free went out of business very quickly.

YOU may not have clicked on those ads, but plenty of other people did.

... and had a day job that didn't involve running a website or server so they could play video games all day?

There were a lot of companies involved in internet businesses that WERE their day jobs. Moreso before the dotcom bubble burst, but plenty of them survived that and went on to become profitable entities.

I remember those.

Time to wake up now.

Those will never come back, and it's because of people like the majority of commenters in this thread propping up horribly bad business practices.

In order for something to come back, it had to have existed first. Your description of the internet is not in line with reality.

Somehow it became acceptable to make website owners become pushy beggars demanding we turn off our adblocker and purchase a premium membership just to get the perks of actually having broadband internet.

You do realize that your ISP is the only one who gets the money you pay to stay hooked up, right? They were never in any sort of profit sharing arrangement with various websites to keep their content online. In fact your ISP is probably quite happy to have you pay and use none of your connection capacity at all.

We get plenty of reminders that sites use cookies

Blame the EU legislature for this.

Blind damn fools.

Take a look in the mirror.

Blind damn fools.

As someone who started out on the "internet" in the 1980s with Pre-AOL, that at the time was called "Q-Link", it was expensive as hell, because you paid for a PER MINUTE Connection, not one monthly free for unlimited access.

And depending on your usage, you could end up with very large bills that you had to pay all at once.

One Month I ran my 'internet' bill up to $236

After Q-Link, I switched to Compuserve, which was expensive as well, because it was also PER MINUTE.

Also, I'd like to point out that what YOU think are "Common Sense Business Practices", have NOTHING to do with giving 18,000,000 (Eighteen Million) people Free access to everything while hemorrhaging money by doing so.

I notice that so many of these "I want free stuffz" posts are usually "Argumentum ad populums" as in "WE want this", "WE'LL go elsewhere", "This is unfair to US"

Lot of Bravehearts in here.

So true. And back then, there was NO WAY you were going to download ANYTHING in a minute. Hell, depending on your connection speed, you might not even get two pages to load in a minute.

Do they also play the sound of a 56k modem

Omg no, no no no. Not the modem dial tones again. No no no.

The change to the way the website is handled was jarring. After the big Stardew Update, suddenly being shamed for not being a premium member with every updated mod I download is... horrible, honestly. It's making me less willing to update mods now, and is concerning for the mod I'm making- if others are less likely to download mods due to this change, what would be the point in uploading one?