New NMM version and site fixes

Dark0ne

For those asking or complaining that it might break the usefulness of other mod managers - Nope. manual downloading is still there. I have always used manual as it allows me more flexibility with managing my mods. Once it is manually downloaded, you can - but are not required to use NMM as your manager. (install from folder if using NMM)

I also use manual downloading as a way to sort and organize my mods. I have set up my manual download to go to my \Downloads\Games\game_name\Category folder. then the categories are the folders. I can then use NMM to install (I do this with Skyrim) or another mod manager - (I use OBMM as my manager in Oblivion)

Using this method you can set up as many categories and even sub categories as you want, you can keep older versions or variations ( I do tend to make my own changes to mods I use) of the mod in sub folders. And NMM does not delete the mod from the downloads when it deletes it from the NMM. So you always have a backup of every mod you have downloaded, but not cluttering up your data folder.

Some of this functionality is planned for NMM (categories) but not all. :thumbsup:

• Replies 170
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

If there are other mod managers out there using our web services then they are going to have to work around our systems and if they become a problem (e.g. load issues) then we will look in to ways to stamp down on it. We've released NMM as open source but our API and web services are most definitely not open source, and the fact they're open at all to 3rd party programs is a privilege offered, not a right. Don't mean to be an ass on the issue, but we have enough trouble getting things working for us as it is, we really cannot worry about making the API open to others right now or worry that the changes we make are going to break other programs using our web services.

One of those programs, the "Mod Organizer" on Skyrim Nexus looks great, and it's obvious the author has done some great stuff so I wish him all the best. Slightly disappointed s/he hasn't tried to work with us to make NMM better, but that's her/his prerogative.

People have been very civil and understanding about the topic, so thank you, but I just want to be slightly firm on the issue, and on where I stand on the matter, so that it doesn't come back to bite me in the arse later when people come complaining to me that we're breaking other mod managers. Other mod managers use our web services at their own risk and continued service is not guaranteed.

Thanks, it's a great improvement, just curious if this is fixed

Well, reading setup script and find there are some typos

Under [Registry], the .omod one should be

Root: HKCR; Subkey: .omod; ValueType: string; ValueName: ; ValueData: OMOD_File_Type; Flags: uninsdeletekey; Tasks: associateOmodFiles

Root: HKCR; Subkey: OMOD_File_Type; ValueType: string; ValueName: ; ValueData: Oblivion Mod Archive; Flags: uninsdeletekey; Tasks: associateOmodFiles

Root: HKCR; Subkey: OMOD_File_Type\DefaultIcon; ValueType: string; ValueName: ; ValueData: {app}\{#MyExeName},0; Tasks: associateOmodFiles

Root: HKCR; Subkey: OMOD_File_Type\shell\open\command; ValueType: string; ValueName: ; ValueData: """{app}\{#MyExeName}"" ""%1"""; Tasks: associateOmodFiles

not “Tasks: associateFomodFiles”. :)

posted in the previous new but no responses, so I guest you might have missed.

Also, any idea when will the source code be updated?

Thanks, it's a great improvement, just curious if this is fixed

Well, reading setup script and find there are some typos

Under [Registry], the .omod one should be

Root: HKCR; Subkey: .omod; ValueType: string; ValueName: ; ValueData: OMOD_File_Type; Flags: uninsdeletekey; Tasks: associateOmodFiles

Root: HKCR; Subkey: OMOD_File_Type; ValueType: string; ValueName: ; ValueData: Oblivion Mod Archive; Flags: uninsdeletekey; Tasks: associateOmodFiles

Root: HKCR; Subkey: OMOD_File_TypeDefaultIcon; ValueType: string; ValueName: ; ValueData: {app}{#MyExeName},0; Tasks: associateOmodFiles

Root: HKCR; Subkey: OMOD_File_Typeshellopencommand; ValueType: string; ValueName: ; ValueData: """{app}{#MyExeName}"" ""%1"""; Tasks: associateOmodFiles

not “Tasks: associateFomodFiles”. :)

posted in the previous new but no responses, so I guest you might have missed.

Also, any idea when will the source code be updated?

Please post it in the bugs section, I don't usually check the news post for bug reports (and I really don't think it's the right place for it).

I just updated the source.

@Dark0ne. I really hope the API and webservices will be available for other mod managers as well. I'm using Mod Organizer and I know the author is very cautious about accessing your webservers and webservices. Afaik MO does not check for new versions at all unless you right click and request it to check for mod updates.

I've used NMM in the past and I liked it very much, makes installing new mods a snap but I've outgrown it. Now using approx 200 mods and MO gives me (far) more control over the mods and its easy to see what mod overwrites which other mod, and change this. The virtual filing system which makes this all possible is imho brilliant and from a coding point of view very elegant. A dream come true would be NMM with a virtual filing system. NMM because its the official Nexus mod manager. I'm looking forward to new versions of NMM and when they can offer me what I personally need I will switch back....

To make this clear: This is NOT to promote MO (or Wrye Bash) over NMM. Each program targets a different audience and is perfect(ed) for that audience. BUT please do NOT make different mod managers impossible.

One reason that he decided not to help you with NMM (or better said NOT being able to) could be the fact that NMM is written in .Net (C#) and that MO is I believe written in C++. I make a living as a Java software and the use of Java is a very deliberate one because its what I personally like. Also the idea of a virtual filing system is totally different then what WB and NMM uses afaik. Don't know of course if you offered him to incorporate the VFS in NMM.

Edited by wolverine2710

@Dark0ne: I'm the author of Mod Organizer so I felt the need to reply to your last post:

a) I completely understand that you can't change decisions about your services (Nexus or NMM) based on what's best for third party tools. Your primary concern are the Nexus and NMM users and I wouldn't expect anything else. My users may feel differently but I have absolutely no hard feelings about this policy.

b) I'm fairly certain that MO does not contribute to the page traffic in a notable way. There aren't a lot of MO users (compared to NMM at least) and MO only checks for mod updates on request, never automatically. MO does identify itself via the user-agent so if it DOES show up as a problem (i.e. because of a bug) please do let me know, I'll do whatever I can to remedy that.

c) First versions of MO were released months before NMM was even announced so I don't think your disappointment about me not working on NMM is a bit inappropriate, I would have had to drop all my existing work. Also, I think MO is sufficiently different to NMM that it's worth to have both alternatives.

Since I updated to .33.1 I cannot get NMM to load. I go through game selection and when it starts loading it gets a little over halfway and stays there. I came back an hour later and still nothing. I even uninstalled and reinstalled and it still does the same thing. It was working fine before i updated. I dont remember which version i was running before the update. It had been a while since my last update. Are there any suggestions as to why it wont load.

EDIT: Nevermind after i finished typing my problem it finally loaded up. Hopefully it only takes that long on the first time.

Edited by murph7346