Something I've always wondered

WaRi0

So I have been using the nexus sites for ages now and love them to pieces, I pay for premium when I can and could not even play some games without these sites. That being said there is something I've always wondered about. When searching for mods why is it sometimes much easier to search google then the specific nexus page? There have been countless times when I have searched for something and found no results (and yes I have cleared filters too) but then googled it and found it right away. I'm not knocking the nexus sites or anything I am just genuinely curious. Maybe I've been doing something wrong all this time?

Wario

The Nexus site is pretty broken when it comes to searching. I accidentally stumbled upon staff themselves making this clear in response to other questions and concerns and I've kept it in mind ever since.

Hopefully this answered your question.

Search is hard to do... at least Nexus doesn't sell its soul to the devil and all of my data as well... :laugh: Sorry - the G word always sets me off along with the MS word and the two A words... :ohmy: But I have noticed recently that when I set up my global preferences I must have done something a lot odder than I was trying to do because several obviously incredibly innocuous mods have now been filtered out by my search criteria! :laugh: I think I've done the equivalent to setting my PEGI to about 4 years old...All I was trying to avoid was seeing too many people fighting dragons in what looks to be underwear... I just worry for them... and would rather not know what other people are subjecting their hero/heroine or their followers to :laugh:

Search is hard to do... at least Nexus doesn't sell its soul to the devil and all of my data as well... :laugh: Sorry - the G word always sets me off along with the MS word and the two A words... :ohmy: But I have noticed recently that when I set up my global preferences I must have done something a lot odder than I was trying to do because several obviously incredibly innocuous mods have now been filtered out by my search criteria! :laugh: I think I've done the equivalent to setting my PEGI to about 4 years old...All I was trying to avoid was seeing too many people fighting dragons in what looks to be underwear... I just worry for them... and would rather not know what other people are subjecting their hero/heroine or their followers to :laugh:

Zixi ... did you not realise that the less it covers the more it protects (I believe it follows the inverse square law).

I use the "hover over the user's name and see what they're doing" trick a lot. I've never seen anybody who uses search more than Dark0ne (so I'm implying that if the boss finds search suits his needs we may be barking up a tree that will never be climbable).

- Edit - Search and me are also not on the friendliest of terms. I've even found that when searching for a mod that I have the exact name for (spelling, capitalization ... the whole nine yards) it won't come up using search because the mod name isn't used in the mod description field (easily avoided if there was an option to search by the mod name field, but this was long ago on the old web site mod page layout ... could be fixed now for all I know).

Edited by Striker879

The things is with search - it's a bit like help. To use help you need to know what help you need and the terms that will be used. But in fact the people who need help don't know what the things are called. The heaviest users of help turn out to be experts using help on the behalf of everyone else. So maybe search is the same. The people who need to search can't find what they're looking for because they don't know how to look for it and the people who are looking know where it is anyway...

I suspect that you and I have now backed ourselves into a philosophical corner... :laugh:

Anyway, Nexus won't be the only site whose internal search isn't as reliable as the-one-I-will-not-name... And just think how much fun we'll have when/if they make changes to it. There will be zillions of users who can't find anything, zillions who liked it better the way it was, zillions who don't like anything anyway, half a zillion who could build a better one, several zillion who say: What search? And the handful of Linux users who say: No worries, I built my own script... :devil:

Re: constantly using search - perhaps he uses it a lot because *he* can't find anything either... :whistling:

- snip-

Re: constantly using search - perhaps he uses it a lot because *he* can't find anything either... :whistling:

Careful whose toes you're trodding on ... and for the record that never crossed my mind (honest)!! :laugh:

and for the record that never crossed my mind (honest)!! :laugh:

No, of course it didn't! :laugh:

I've just been looking at how I've set up search and I realise that part of the issue really is that it's using tags... And if different people are adding them they won't always mean the same thing... I seem to be filtering put a lot by adding a block on 'unrealistic'...

I see what you mean about 'hovering' over names... It reminds me of a formicarium...

I'd say it is more likely that if he could not find anything, we would see a new search system implemented in no time. ;)