Barrett m82 Sniper Rifle

SpacemanSpIiff

Okay well. point well made. However, on the other hand. 200 years IS a long time between when the manufacturers where making these firearms and now. So the weapons that are out there would be dull and old looking at least. So my own point of a weapon shouldnt be shining new still stands. visual wear and tear should be present as those who are maintaining these weapons arent getting new parts from the manufacturer, because said manufacturer was blown up 200 years ago. :confused:

Yes, agreed, it should be dinged up, nicked, cut, and scratched, but not so bad that it affects the structural integrity of the gun and it shouldn't be dirty and grimy and it should never ever be rusty. (I editied in a paragraph at the end of my previous post regarding dirty soldiers with clean guns. ^.^)

• Replies 233
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

Well i managed to get the model hammonds uploaded into Maya. And i was immediatly wowed by the attention to detail. The original artist went ahead and made an internal spring, the detailed bolt, seperate bullet and shell componets, rifling in the barrell. All in all the raw model clocked in at ~37,000 polygons (tris). I went ahead and removed the spring, the bipod, and one of the internal lenses within the scope. Which brought the model down to ~19,000 Triangles. I plan to further optimise the poly count by removing the rifling in the barrel, and removing the internal details to the bullet casing assembly, if not removing the bullet entirely. I might remove the carrying handle as well, if the polycount is still way too high.

One can argue that in the 200 year period between the nuke and now, the bipod and carrying handle was stolen/broken/scavenged before the player found it (Plus both are entirely cosmetic as the player never prones, or has a need for the handle)

Heres a pic of it in Maya:

I then went ahead and put a checker patter lambert on the entire model to see if there is any stretching on the current mesh

That pic will be in the post following this one due to upload constraints.

Heres a pic of the model with a checker pattern on it, note that i made the UV layout MUCH bigger then the 0 to 1 space so we can all get a better look to see stretching and warping on the mesh:

As can be seen, there is very little to no stretching on this models UV layout, from what i can see.

Heres where we will run into a problem, the UV layout from what i can tell is probably garbage....

Heres a UV snapshot in 2048x2048.

To go any further, I would need a good poly range limit to try to get this model into. SO if anyone knows, please respond.

also, and this is extremely important:

If you or a group of you are interested in getting this baby playable by texturing, rigging, and actually getting it in fallout PLEASE let me know what you need done before I hand you the base mesh!!

other things to be known before we go any further:

1) As stated before by hammonds, this model is not my work, it has an unknown author, all i am doing is trying to get this thing into fallout3 by optimising the poly count. While this model isnt mine, I wouldnt mind being in the credits for doing some editing to it if it does happen to get released.

2)I am not a texture artist at all, so i probably cant even get you a good UV layout.

3)I do not rig either, So please let me know in detail how youd like me to leave the moving part(s) of this model. Right now every piece is seperate from one another.

4) if you have any questions, leave them here and ill answer them as best as i can.

From this point foreward id like to have relevant comments regarding this current work, or hell, if you have your own barrett in the works by all means bring that knowledge to light.

You could contact Vashts1985. when he makes guns they are amazingly detailed. Right down to the slide on the desert eagle sliding back and a new round entering the chamber. He does add rifling to his barrels, but I haven't checked to see if that's just a texture map or actual polygons, but I suspect it is the former.

Check the pictures I uploaded of the open chamber in his arsenal desert eagles v3 mod. There are even two really nice top down views in the upload forum for the mod.

The only thing that I don't like is that he's a big proponent of the rusty gun because it looks right in fallout, wanting some realism (mesh detail) but chucking out the rest (rusty guns are bad).

To go any further, I would need a good poly range limit to try to get this model into. SO if anyone knows, please respond.

You could grab the latest version of NifSkope (1.0.16) and opened up the largest weapon files to get these stats (which are tri shapes, not quads)

Example (counting all NiTriStrips)

Name: plasmarifle.nif

Size: 488 kb

Total Verts: 2,735

Total Tris: 4,802

You can find the Vert count at the top of the block details of the section called NiTriStripsData (Num Verticies and Num Triangles). If there are more than one NiTriStrips branch, you have to expand them all and add all the numbers together to get the total.

LHammonds

Thanks for the replies and info guys.

In all honesty i kinda wish bhurpo or Vasht would come into this thread and take this mesh in, but i believe the both of them are way too busy with their own work. Ill contact Vasht however and ask nicely.

Thanks again hammonds for useful information. Ill see what i can do to further optimise this mesh, I have a feeling I may need to rip that barrell mesh apart and take the rifling out and replace it with a solid inside. seeing as how the plasma rifle is under 5,000 poly. I'll take a gander at the gatling laser and Minigun and Fatman meshes and see what their poly budget is.