Barrett m82 Sniper Rifle

SpacemanSpIiff

I meant it was crap as in for our purposes it wont work. Besides, i rebuilt the body, so the UV became irrelevant.

As for the sights. I put the rear on because i do sincerely plan on modelling a foreward sight on and removing the scope and rail up top, so when the invevitable release of an iron sight aiming mod comes out, this gun will be ready for use with it.

Yes, I do Believe this will be released as a big guns Skill weapon. So be ready.

The rest of the details Will have to be hammered out.

• Replies 233
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

People saying the UV projection is crap should keep in mind, thats a very near perfect unwrap for a very high res texture for either a cinmatic or even a movie.

Yes it doesnt use anywhere NEAR the ammount of texturespace as a low res texture needs for any detail.. but that wasnt its point.

The UV Map was obviously useful for the original purpose or it would not have been created. Nobody is doubting that. But for what we are talking about here (being put inside a game) that UV Map was 100% worthless unless you planned to only have a solid color and a flat normal map which is NOT friendly to modifications. The only texture artists that could have utilized a UV Map like that is one who has a tool that allow painting to occur directly on the 3D model with the texture wrapped around it using the UV Map (which VERY few modders have access to such premium tools) Most people have to create textures in 2D and having a UV Map of a surface that has tons of seams is quite painful.

Infact, its set out so well you should just be cutting the UV from each side projection and applying them to a seperate file, the model is large enough to grant it 2-3-4 seperate textures, assault rfiles in game get 2 as an example.
I will do it as best as I can and how I see fit. And no, a model does not have to utilize multiple texture files. The dimensions can be adjusted to fit the model pieces. Separate files are used for modularity or ease in use with features such as part of the model needing transparency but not others. A DXT compression for most of the model can be used that does not include an alpha channel (DXT3) but the transparency part can use a texture with alpha transparency (DXT5). Or it can be made so that anyone can add transparency where-ever they like (being highly moddable and modular). It completely depends on the author and his/her designs for future utilization and forethought.

LHammonds

I meant it was crap as in for our purposes it wont work. Besides, i rebuilt the body, so the UV became irrelevant.

As for the sights. I put the rear on because i do sincerely plan on modelling a foreward sight on and removing the scope and rail up top, so when the invevitable release of an iron sight aiming mod comes out, this gun will be ready for use with it.

Yes, I do Believe this will be released as a big guns Skill weapon. So be ready.

The rest of the details Will have to be hammered out.

The Barrett M82 is a lot closer in nature to a sniper rifle than a heavy support weapon, so I would strongly recommend making it relevant to the small guns skill, not big guns.

The US Army qual for the M82 is essentially a sniper's course, not a course of fire as you'd see with an M240B or other support weapon where the idea is more of area effect on target, not precisely hitting with single shots as you would with a rifle. Marksmanship is a totally different and precision art when speaking of a single shot at 1500 Meters and lumping it in with a skill that implies % of rounds in target area on full auto.. well... its just incorrect, plain and simple.

Think deployment & use in what separates the skills the two skills, not caliber or size.

That is what separates the 'big guns' skill from the 'small guns' skill and what makes the two different skills a good idea.. rocket launchers and such aside.

Point made, While we're not at the stage where we can get those details in. I think it might be best to leave that up to preference and make 2 seperate ESP's where one is small weapon, and the other is big.

heh

I was talking about spliting it UP so that you could have a higher res texture overall, due to the size of the weapon in game ALOT of it is gonna look like, your post seems a tad hostile take a chill pill I was only offering suggestions.

IronSights

There is a south african 40mm SniperRifle that uses a extra large cartarge and then is part recoiless, it actually releases some of the gas backwards to counteract the massive kickback ontop of the normal muzzle break.

Opps its not technicly a SNIPERrifle as its banned under international conventions for use agasint humans.. so its called ANtiMateral Rifle.

actually the 50cal M82 is also banned which the US agreed with for use agasint humans :P

Not that that stops them, viovlating international laws on humanrights and whatnot is a normal run of the mill thing for them.. opps off topic..

anyways this baby can penetrate all known vehicle armors at 500m including Tanks, something no other Rifle in the world is capable of doing.

IronSights

There is a south african 40mm SniperRifle that uses a extra large cartarge and then is part recoiless, it actually releases some of the gas backwards to counteract the massive kickback ontop of the normal muzzle break.

My favourite anti-tank rifle is the 20mm Lahti L-39 from Finland. ^.^

http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Lahti_L-39

Only first saw it after some joker was pretending to fire it from the hip. :P

You know. I always hear both sides of the arguement with the barrets Use in todays military/law enforcement

Side A argues that its against The rules to use the barret on human targets, and that they are only used to take vehicles out, and that includes tanks.

Side B Argues that its not used to take tanks out, but it can knock an engine block out of service of most other vehicles. All of this ontop of the statement that its not a violation of any rule to use it on human targets.

Ill research this more on my own, but as for now...im just tired, im heading to bed. Happy thanksgiving