Please, if you make a armor mod, do this

Deleted48339873User

And that's why mod authors were given the ability to moderate their own comments threads.

Yeah, back in the day... before I left the Nexus, we didn't have that option. Which woulda been nice. Cuz I see a lot of stuff from the Wall of Shame that people have posted in the comments section of some mods that are just downright ... well, they're entitled chits who are being little poop chutes. (Can I word it like that and it not be swearing?)

The other benefit of that, is that there's less work for the staff, of mediating between the MA's, and those kinds of people. So yeah, it definitely gives the author a much better control over their pages, but it also makes less work for the staff.

HAH! Well, it definitely won't be for a Bethesda game, that's for sure!

At least, not from a technical standpoint of work.

That and I really, really, really need to get back into relearning how to script and stuff like that. I think it's probly been... 10 years? since I did any scripting?

Tho, thanks bro, I appreciate that! I dunno. There's a slight chance that I might get something out here that's been brewing around in the back of my mind (tho it's pretty dark and twisted, and would give a really bad impression of the kind of stuff that really doesn't go thru my head very much. ) but I dunno. (Let's just say that I've got some anger issues with Preston Gravey, and a few ways to torment him have been running around in the ol' brainpan.)

I think any mod that inflicted pain on good ol' preston would be well received. :D The character folks love to hate (on). Personally, I would like to see him impaled....... in the medieval sense of the word.

Scripting has changed a LOT since oblivion. Mores the pity. I don't think the new system is as effective as it was in previous games. But then, performance is better...... not having to run EVERY script, EVERY frame, certainly makes a difference... but, for mods that DEPEND on script timing... it sucks. (Unnecessary Violence being right there at the top of the list, was AWESOME in Oblivion, wasn't even possible in Skyrim..... simply due to unpredictable script timing.

Yikes, we are wandering off topic here........ (it's your fault. Yeah, yeah, that's it. Your fault. :D I would never, ever, in a million years wander off topic........ )

:whistling:

I think any mod that inflicted pain on good ol' preston would be well received. :D The character folks love to hate (on). Personally, I would like to see him impaled....... in the medieval sense of the word.

Scripting has changed a LOT since oblivion. Mores the pity. I don't think the new system is as effective as it was in previous games. But then, performance is better...... not having to run EVERY script, EVERY frame, certainly makes a difference... but, for mods that DEPEND on script timing... it sucks. (Unnecessary Violence being right there at the top of the list, was AWESOME in Oblivion, wasn't even possible in Skyrim..... simply due to unpredictable script timing.

Yikes, we are wandering off topic here........ (it's your fault. Yeah, yeah, that's it. Your fault. :D I would never, ever, in a million years wander off topic........ )

:whistling:

The very, very, VERY scary thing is...the source files I've been looking at... something very, very, very close to that....

Get outta my head man! ;)

And that's about all I'm gonna say about it, cuz I dunno if I wanna try to do it or not yet.

Ah, well...I'd say that at least in this case, off topic may forestall this from becoming another "us" vs "them" thread.

Eh...I know I've said it before, but I really honestly Hate the CK, along with it. I kid you not, I've opened it maybe 3 or 4 times, and I can't even figure out how to get the menus open, so that I can start to navigate it! :down:

Guess I need to start reading some manuals or something......

If you can't take constructive critisism you're in the wrong field of work. When you create work for the public to use you can expect people to point things out. And some of that stuff will improve your product. Take it as you will, but simply calling it bs is kind of lame.

There's always people that won't like what you create or would like it if it was a tad bit different. Thing to think about though is who you create mods for. I think that having a proper description on the mod page is very valuable. Not only to the people using it, but in the end also for the people creating them. The fact that it's free makes no difference in my opinion. You have every right to ignore people that comment on your mod. All I'm saying is that some of the things people say will be useful and will help others.

Imagine a mod that alters something in the game, but it requires specific installation and handling. Now you can wait till the comments section fills up with people complaining and you can ban them all from the mod. Or you could put some simple instructions in the description. Your choice. There's plenty of mods which actually don't even explain what they do. They have 50 awesome pictures and an amazing html layout about how awesome the mod is, but you can't for the life of you find some useful information there or even what the mod is fo

It is true feedback is important. But a lot of mods, you could write a novel in the description about what it does and most will not read it. If it's short description, people will read. After that I use the comments section to handle questions or suggestions. Main thing that bothers me is modders who put up a mod and turn off comments right away then delete bug reports and seem to be completely closed off to feedback. Usually, the mods are terrible and I think really, they must know. Turning off comments on a page like Xedit is different. its just too popular to even keep track of them all and the more popular a mod is, the more disrespectful comments will be aimed at the authors. its just ratios.

As far as balance.. there is just too many variables with added mods. So you can really only balance things to the base game. Many of the modders that create high quality looking armors and weapons do tend to make them OP if based against the vanilla game, I can only imagine their mind set it.. "This took ME two months of my time to make, I feel it should be valuable/powerful etc"

I don't like it either but modding should, imo require basic knowledge of using Xedit if you want to really enjoy a balance game. the combinations of mods that require patches are infinite but your own load order is easy to balance and patch yourself. Its the old "give a man a fish../teach a man to fish.." saying

Edited by Guest

Everyone thinks their suggestions and ideas are valuable. Truth is.. they're worthless. Nobody really cares about your criticism but yourself.

I'm reading a lot of FO4 forums and mod stuff since quite a time, as I love mods, and I have to say, less politety than Stormwolf, that this is nonsense. A lot mod authors welcome fair criticism and made the mod better because of suggestions. Or explained why criticism was not to the point. Polite behaviour and a little bit explanation from mod authors and users alike usually lead to a factual discussion with benefits for both sides. A lot of user rant is garbage, true, but usually you can recognize it easily and ignore it.

Everyone thinks their suggestions and ideas are valuable. Truth is.. they're worthless. Nobody really cares about your criticism but yourself.

I'm reading a lot of FO4 forums and mod stuff since quite a time, as I love mods, and I have to say, less politety than Stormwolf, that this is nonsense. A lot mod authors welcome fair criticism and made the mod better because of suggestions. Or explained why criticism was not to the point. Polite behaviour and a little bit explanation from mod authors and users alike usually lead to a factual discussion with benefits for both sides. A lot of user rant is garbage, true, but usually you can recognize it easily and ignore it.

Yeah I don't rightly follow that logic, either. Mod authors don't care about what people think of their mods? That just rubs me as not being true.

I truly wonder - if for whatever reason, you could only ever make mods for your lone game - would mod authors make alot of the mods? I'm pretty sure alot of mods are made with the intention of sharing and hopefully making people happy out there. Nothing wrong with that.

And there's nothing wrong with finding extremely OP gear/NPCs annoying, even if you didn't put in any effort. Even my favorite movie of all time annoys me at one or two points.

It would be nice if more mod authors released two versions of their mods - one with stats pulled from the base, unmodded game - so that nothing is OP - and one to their own liking. Heck, I think it'd be interesting seeing a comparison of how many people go for the vanilla-stats over the OP stuff, if given the choice. That's one thing that at least the CClub gets right - not making terribly OP creations.

There's two mods i'm so unhappy I couldn't keep installed. Both add new enemy NPCs and factions. In one - there was a whole questline and new faction that seemed so interesting! But... it also added packs of the friendly-faction NPCs EVERYWHERE. Sprinkled all over the map. Super high leveled, with extremely expensive weapons and armor. If there was a hostile enemy location on the map (like anywhere you find super mutants in the unmodded game) - those NPCs would be placed there, taking the enemies out for me before I could even get a shot in. Playing my game for me. Stealing my kills. Un-fun... Would love to have just gotten the questline and faction. And maybe a few patrols of the faction NPCs... In the other, the hostile enemies were SO OP, and they would spawn in directly on top of you. They were simply too strong compared to everything else in the game. But no worries! Friendly faction NPCs would spawn in when they did, too, to take them out for you while you hid behind a rock! Fun, right? Isn't that a fun dynamic? What's even the point of making the enemies so strong that only your other NPCs can take them out? Just about every other aspect of the mod seemed like it would be real fun to play with... oh well...

Truth is most times whatever passes for "criticism and suggestions" around nexus is just inane garbage.

I think, that with angerfest outlets like twitter, reddit, and similar, that entirely too many people have lost control of themselves, and too many have started to think that they are entirely too entitled to their opinions and how they voice them.

https://forums.nexusmods.com/index.php?/topic/8388018-notrasha-banned/ This jackass being the poster child for such people. Literally threatening the author with mob shaming!

So yeah, another twitter **** gets the boot.

I very strongly don't think that it's just here on the nexus. It's people in general. But a lot of that crap, won't pass here. The rules have gotten stricter about it (in some regards) than back in the day. I see a lot more strikes with posting privileges restricted over things that we'd have let slide 10 years ago. Back then, Maybe see some orange text with warnings, and some snip action going on.

But I'm glad to see that they're coming down harder about some of this stuff now.

Tho, the above idiot woulda got the hammer, regardless. That's just a crazy that needs to be somewhere else. Like... locked up in a straightjacket kinda somewhere else.

I'm really NOT trying to bash on you LL, Aeons, or Gaela. And this is just a personal perspective. I still respect all of you, if you disagree, and respect that fact that you DO disagree.

But one of the things that REALLY grinds my gears, is this "I'm a modder!" I play games. I have a program that I can download files with, and it will install these files into my games for me. I dunno anything else about it, other than I click here, here and here. "I'm a modder!"

NO YOU'RE F** NOT!

Not saying that to any of you three. Just saying it to the general gamers who say that.

Everybody here in this thread so far, knows how to use the tools needed to make changes to this game. Everybody in this thread has some level of knowledge about how this game works, and the files associated with this game.

Most of us in this thread, have released/published and shared what we've made. (Again, that's NOT cracking on anybody in here, who hasn't published)

THAT is being a modder.

Started a project last night. Pretty simple, just changes around a few NPC's. Thinking about releasing it. But do I really, really wanna deal with the whole "Will you add so and so, or this person needs to be changed, why the heck did you do this to so and so, why did you leave the dirt on them they should be clean blah blah blah." Or the "OMG! Muh Immersion11!!!!1!1!" (That's an insta-ban from any of my mods. That lights my fuse quicker than anything else)

I've been an artist. A modder. A game master. A site staff on several different forums. A site staff on a couple of different game servers. Frickin' phone based customer service, and a CSR supervisor.

There is ALWAYS criticism. It gets old. It really, really gets old.

But we just gotta learn what to tune out, and what to pay attention to. What's just a bunch of garbage, and what people are actually pointing out that they want, or that could be an improvement.

Like in the case of what LL is talking about with the variants of the armor protection ratings. Would I change the mod to accommodate them? Most likely not. Would I post a sticky on how to change them so that they like them better? Yeah. I would.