Obama: Worst president in the last 100 years

MrJoseCuervo

• Replies 235
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

Not sure I would agree with that assessment, given some of the stuff biden is saying he wants to do.........

So you're comparing what someone might do, with what someone has actually done? That's not how this works....

He doesn't have much of a track record, yet..... so, I will withhold judgement until such time as he does. However, if he actually DOES what he SAYS, (which is something he promised to do) then I will stand by my statement. Of course, there are a fair few things in the democrat platform that I vehemently disagree with........ so, yeah, I am indeed biased. :D

Not sure I would agree with that assessment, given some of the stuff biden is saying he wants to do.........

So you're comparing what someone might do, with what someone has actually done? That's not how this works....

He doesn't have much of a track record, yet..... so, I will withhold judgement until such time as he does. However, if he actually DOES what he SAYS, (which is something he promised to do) then I will stand by my statement. Of course, there are a fair few things in the democrat platform that I vehemently disagree with........ so, yeah, I am indeed biased. :D

Just out of sheer interest from an outsider, what are the things you disagree with (if you're comfortable sharing that)?

Just out of sheer interest from an outsider, what are the things you disagree with (if you're comfortable sharing that)?

His positions on gun control, and his idea of a 'gun tax', charging (registered) gun owners 200 bucks per gun per year. But that one is minor compared to some of his other positions. None of which will make the slightest difference in gun crime, as they will only affect the law-abiding. The criminals will still have guns, still be able to get them easily, and chicago will still have one of the highest gun-crime rates in the world. (along with several other democrat controlled cities, with already tough gun laws.)

Rumor has it that he reinstated the insurance requirement from Obamacare. I have real issues with the government FORCING me to purchase a product/service from a private company.

He also made noises about reparations for slavery. Something that ended 150 years ago. No one that lived thru it is alive today, neither are any of the perpetrators.

He wants to re-join the paris accords. An agreement that studies have shown that even if EVERYONE did EVERYTHING they promised to, (which will never happen) it would only reduce temp rise by .1 degree over the course of the rest of the century. Yeah. Ok. Lets trash our economy, dump a boatload of jobs, in order to accomplish...... nothing.....

In 2019, Biden said that China is "not competition" for the United States. That is just such BS, and everyone in the real world knows it. Take a look at how much of our manufacturing moved there. That says it all.

There are others as well.

<snippity>

For the love of Dread Sithis, please post your sources.

Rumor has it that he reinstated the insurance requirement from Obamacare. I have real issues with the government FORCING me to purchase a product/service from a private company.

Don't you already have to do this for car insurance, groceries, telephone, electricity, dental care etc?

In 2019, Biden said that China is "not competition" for the United States. That is just such BS, and everyone in the real world knows it. Take a look at how much of our manufacturing moved there. That says it all

What's your point? The US/West pretty much created the manufacturing powerhouse that China is today because US companies wanted to benefit from cheaper labour. How is China competition for the US when many of your most beloved companies (e.g. Apple) generate supra-normal profits by benefiting from geo-arbitrage with China? They are a trading partner.

I won't comment on anything else without knowing what your sources are.

Edited by gnarly1

<snippity>

For the love of Dread Sithis, please post your sources.

Don't you already have to do this for car insurance, groceries, telephone, electricity, dental care etc?

In 2019, Biden said that China is "not competition" for the United States. That is just such BS, and everyone in the real world knows it. Take a look at how much of our manufacturing moved there. That says it all

What's your point? The US/West pretty much created the manufacturing powerhouse that China is today because US companies wanted to benefit from cheaper labour. How is China competition for the US when many of your most beloved companies (e.g. Apple) generate supra-normal profits by benefiting from geo-arbitrage with China? They are a trading partner.

I won't comment on anything else without knowing what your sources are.

My sources are usually news sites. Most of what I have up there you can find on yahoo news, or, on Bidens own page. (search on "biden political platform") They are all over the place, and I simply don't feel like expending the effort to post links to stuff that is easy to find. I will grant you that the 'gun tax' thing IS just a rumor, however, the person I heard it from is pretty reliable. (I haven't looked to deeply into it myself, yet......)

Yes, Nixon went to China, and opened the doors for business to go there. And they have. China went from third-world-nation status, to powerhouse, in a few short decades, mostly due to the sudden influx of money/technology from the west. (which they promptly stole) This did wonderful things for their economy, and gave them large amounts of money to spend on..... their military. Now we have China expanding into the China sea, building military bases there, claiming water/land that is actually in OTHER FOLKS 'exclusive economic zones'.......

And if you wander thru pretty much any department store here in the US, good luck finding any products that were actually made in the US. 90% or more now come from China. Products that used to be manufactured right here in the US, made from US sourced materials, are now coming on a boat from china. Product quality has gone down, but, the 'cost savings' we were promised from this simply haven't materialized. That was the claim about moving auto manufacturing to Mexico as well. It didn't happen that way. I understand the business reasons for moving manufacturing offshore, it's all about profit. However, just because Apple made billions last year, does NOT imply that helps the US as a whole in any way, shape, form, or manner. A select few at the top are making money hand over fist, posting record profits every quarter. The rest of us? Wages are stagnant, the middle class is disappearing, the wealth gap is expanding at an alarming rate, and I don't see any of that changing any time soon.

As I see it (and this is purely my opinion) we are enabling a potential adversary to dramatically improve their war-fighting capability, at the expense of our own economy. China is getting bolder, and our government is doing nothing to impede that. Mainly because too many of their buddies are profiting mightily from it. At this point, it is open to question whether we could win a war against China. (not that I want one, this is just worst case scenario) The longer this goes on, the more likely we will get spanked.

Globalization has cost the US population a fair bit. We are now primarily a 'service industry' economy, with low-wage jobs. Biden bumping minimum wage to 15 bucks an hour is NOT going to fix that. In fact, it will make things worse. (have a good look at Seattle, and Los Angeles.....)

Ok, the Gun Tax thing was mis-represented. Apparently, it is a one-time 'tax' on the sale, transfer, or manufacture of certain types of firearms..... Whether that will be applied to existing owners, or not... is still open to question.

Thing is though, since the so-called 'assault rifles' are considered 'long guns', they are not required to be registered in most states, so, tracking who has one, or who doesn't, is essentially impossible. Same goes for an outright ban/buyback.

Its really unfortunate though, that nothing the dems are proposing are going to make the least bit of difference in gun crime. The criminals, and those with malign intent, will still be able to get their hands on pretty much anything they want. The weapons that they are targeting are also only used in a tiny fraction of gun crime. (long guns account for about 3% of gun crime, 'assault rifles' are a subset of that 3%)

Ok I'm not gonna jump on this bad mouthing Presidents the PEOPLE voted for, especially ones my fellow Americans voted in twice.

Globalization has cost the US population a fair bit. We are now primarily a 'service industry' economy, with low-wage jobs. Biden bumping minimum wage to 15 bucks an hour is NOT going to fix that. In fact, it will make things worse. (have a good look at Seattle, and Los Angeles.....)

I understand his reasoning for such a large increase in the minimum wage - for folks that work 40 hours but still barely bring home any money. I was one of those people. Some jobs offer fairly low amounts of raises and it takes a decade to reach top pay.

However 15/hr right off the bat is just too much. He should instead go for a gradual increase over a set amount of years til it reaches 15, so some companies can adjust properly to it. Otherwise, there's gonna be mass firings and "back dooring" as they scramble to try and save money.

Edited by Rasikko

Given all that's happened in the last several weeks, I think we can conclude that the thread title has been proved false as Trump is objectively the worst president of the past 100 years, and probably in the history of the Union.

This can be set as the best answer and the thread can now be closed.

I agree.

However 15/hr right off the bat is just too much. He should instead go for a gradual increase over a set amount of years til it reaches 15, so some companies can adjust properly to it. Otherwise, there's gonna be mass firings and "back dooring" as they scramble to try and save money.

Any company that could actually fire that many employees to save money, would do it now, and just pocket the difference. We'll either see these businesses go under, or no change, but I don't see mass firings coming from this for any real reason, outside maybe just using the wage increase as an excuse. And that excuse would follow in pretty much any wage increase of any size.