What's new with Vortex? - 1.2.14 Update

BigBizkit

In response to post #82016448. #82018443, #82038358, #82065273, #82107208, #82139023, #82139513 are all replies on the same post.

MadeUpName92 wrote: I got a notification in Vortex that a new version of F4SE is out.

I DO NOT want vortex automatically 'checking' anything except itself.

Were did I give you permission to snoop around my PC and check what other software I have?
Pickysaurus wrote: Pretty sure it only does that when you click the "check for updates" button...

Regardless if you click the little gear on the update notification you can stop it from appearing, although there isn't really a good reason not to have the latest version installed unless you have an out of date and/or pirated copy of the game.

EDIT: It may actually do this on starting the up but it doesn't do an actual online "check", Vortex knows what the latest version of the script extender was when it was released so it just compares the version on your PC or to that number.
MadeUpName92 wrote: You didn't answer any of my questions, you only implied I was using a pirated copy of the game.

I repeat, where exactly did I give Vortex permission to check software other then the games I'm modding with it or the mods I install with it? (F4SE is not installed through Vortex)

There are several very good reasons not to update to the latest version. Here's a copy/paste from my latest post on the "Fallout4.exe Auto-Backup" thread. A mod with over 60,000 downloads whos purpose is to make rolling back to a previous version much easier.

~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~ WARNING! ~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~

Fallout 4 may auto-update when you "CLOSE" it after starting it with F4SE.

~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~

I just recently started a new game after not having played FO4 for several months. My exe is Version 1.10.138 and I'm still using the matching F4SE for that version. When I closed the game, steam started to download the update even though it's set to "Only update at launch" and I only start the game with F4SE after I've started steam. Steam doesn't even show the game is running. Luckily my Cable Modem is within arms reach and I quickly unplugged the cat cable.

Vortex is showing 171 plugins and I like the way my game runs and I just don't want it to change it so, I don't plan on ever updating it.
Pickysaurus wrote: I'm not really sure what you're getting so upset about. If you don't like the notification, I've explained how you can disable it. The feature is a convenience function, so you can disable it entirely in the "Extensions" tab if you like, it's called "Script Extender Installer".

This is how it works:

1) Vortex's "Script Extender Installer" extension knows that the latest F4SE's latest version at the time of release was 0.6.20
2) When you manage Fallout 4, Vortex checks if f4se_loader.exe exists and gets its version.
3) If you don't have F4SE installed, Vortex will recommend it and if your version is lower than the known latest version it will inform you that there is an update. (Both of these alerts can be blocked).

If you wish to run an older copy of the game that's fine. Unfortunately, it isn't currently possible to compare the script extender version to the game version. So Vortex doesn't know if you have the correct version for your current game, it only knows it isn't the latest.
MikeInWare wrote: He's upset because of the pirating accusation.
MadeUpName92 wrote: I'm upset about #2. I did not knowingly give the vortex software permission to check other software on my PC. Apparently, I did not give it permission at all.

This is an invasion of privacy.
Dark0ne wrote: That information is not transmitted to us or stored or shown anywhere other than on your own PC. Can you explain how it's an "invasion of privacy" because it seems like you're making a mountain out of a molehill

Almost all the software you install on your system checks for other installed software, unbeknownst to you, to ensure you have the requisite software necessary in order to function. I do not see how this is any different.

What exactly are you concerned about? What negatives do you perceive from the fact Vortex attempts to work out whether your script extender is out-of-date or not?

"....although there isn't really a good reason not to have the latest version installed unless you have an out of date and/or pirated copy of the game."

Putting aside unnecessary accusations of piracy, and privacy concerns for the moment, you guys DO KNOW that, in fact, many of us deliberately prevent FO4 and Skyrim SE from updating so that our carefully built installs aren't buggered up whenever Bethesda adds yet another pointless CC update? Edited by Sonja

• Replies 163
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

I just wanted to say, thank you guys so much for all the work you do on Vortex. I used NMM for a time and love NexusMods (I bought one lifetime sub years ago, lost the password, and bought another recently - money still well spent!) and Vortex has been even easier and more feature-rich. Thanks again!

One thing i've noticed on this last update is that some mods, when added to be installed, are duplicated. Ex: I'll update an outfit pack from v.## to x.## and "x.##" will show up twice. I can't remove the second entry unless i remove the archive. Why is it doing that? It's not all of the time but it does get a tad bit annoying.

In response to post #82303708.

krilton wrote: One thing i've noticed on this last update is that some mods, when added to be installed, are duplicated. Ex: I'll update an outfit pack from v.## to x.## and "x.##" will show up twice. I can't remove the second entry unless i remove the archive. Why is it doing that? It's not all of the time but it does get a tad bit annoying.

Sounds like you might have put your mod staging folder inside your download folder or something.

In response to post #82303708. #82307563 is also a reply to the same post.

krilton wrote: One thing i've noticed on this last update is that some mods, when added to be installed, are duplicated. Ex: I'll update an outfit pack from v.## to x.## and "x.##" will show up twice. I can't remove the second entry unless i remove the archive. Why is it doing that? It's not all of the time but it does get a tad bit annoying.
Pickysaurus wrote: Sounds like you might have put your mod staging folder inside your download folder or something.

When you say "it shows up twice", does it show up once (new version) as "enabled" and once (old version) as "uninstalled"? If so it's just a display error whereby Vortex doesn't have enough information to figure out the two mods belong together.
I wouldn't worry about it, it won't affect the game in any way as long as only the one version you want is enabled. If you send in a feedback with "Application State" attached (there is a button for that on the feedback screen) we should be able to figure out why they aren't grouped and can potentially improve the detection.

In response to post #82303708. #82307563, #82325008 are all replies on the same post.

Pickysaurus wrote: Sounds like you might have put your mod staging folder inside your download folder or something.
Tannin42 wrote: When you say "it shows up twice", does it show up once (new version) as "enabled" and once (old version) as "uninstalled"? If so it's just a display error whereby Vortex doesn't have enough information to figure out the two mods belong together.
I wouldn't worry about it, it won't affect the game in any way as long as only the one version you want is enabled. If you send in a feedback with "Application State" attached (there is a button for that on the feedback screen) we should be able to figure out why they aren't grouped and can potentially improve the detection.

I'll drop a mod in the "drop file(s) here" which therefore will do its thing and process the mod for installation. When that part is done, i'll typically go straight to enable which does the install/enable process. The 2nd "dupe" shows in the original "not installed" state. I try to remove that extra but it won't do anything unless i "delete archive". Now after doing that, i was curious and took that mod package and put it back in the archive directory and "behold" it shows back up in vortex as "not installed". The first time i had this happen, i went about like normal and found that everything is okie-dokie.

@Tannin42, what do you mean by sending a feedback with "application state" attached? If i do, what would/should i classify it as then... a bug report? I tried to send a feedback report as you suggested but it won't let me as it says my version is outdated. I used 2.1.16 which was released on 6/10/2020/

Sorry if it seems like i'm somewhat repeating things but i'm just making sure that i have my thought right. If that makes any sense.
Edited by krilton

I really dont want to waste any of your time but is vortex better than mod organizer 2, i know its personal preference but i would like the developers honest opinion, i used nmm in the past, it was super easy, never had any issues with my game that i couldn't fix, tried vortex and mod organizer as well, dont like the gui of either of them compared to nmm, i watched some tutorials online, gopher for example, but hes videos are old now and problaby outdated. i want to start modding my game again but i dont know what mod manager to use, while its true i do like nmm its not supported anymore and i wish to learn either mo2 or vortex but idk which one to go for.

In response to post #82303708. #82307563, #82325008, #82354308 are all replies on the same post.

Tannin42 wrote: When you say "it shows up twice", does it show up once (new version) as "enabled" and once (old version) as "uninstalled"? If so it's just a display error whereby Vortex doesn't have enough information to figure out the two mods belong together.
krilton wrote: I'll drop a mod in the "drop file(s) here" which therefore will do its thing and process the mod for installation. When that part is done, i'll typically go straight to enable which does the install/enable process. The 2nd "dupe" shows in the original "not installed" state. I try to remove that extra but it won't do anything unless i "delete archive". Now after doing that, i was curious and took that mod package and put it back in the archive directory and "behold" it shows back up in vortex as "not installed". The first time i had this happen, i went about like normal and found that everything is okie-dokie.

@Tannin42, what do you mean by sending a feedback with "application state" attached? If i do, what would/should i classify it as then... a bug report? I tried to send a feedback report as you suggested but it won't let me as it says my version is outdated. I used 2.1.16 which was released on 6/10/2020/

Sorry if it seems like i'm somewhat repeating things but i'm just making sure that i have my thought right. If that makes any sense.

The same thing has been happening to me ever since new update. I reported it as a bug weeks ago, and have heard nothing from Nexus since.

In response to post #82303708. #82307563, #82325008, #82354308, #82382318 are all replies on the same post.

krilton wrote: I'll drop a mod in the "drop file(s) here" which therefore will do its thing and process the mod for installation. When that part is done, i'll typically go straight to enable which does the install/enable process. The 2nd "dupe" shows in the original "not installed" state. I try to remove that extra but it won't do anything unless i "delete archive". Now after doing that, i was curious and took that mod package and put it back in the archive directory and "behold" it shows back up in vortex as "not installed". The first time i had this happen, i went about like normal and found that everything is okie-dokie.

GrumpyOM wrote: The same thing has been happening to me ever since new update. I reported it as a bug weeks ago, and have heard nothing from Nexus since.

krilton, your second post made it clear what bug this is, it was reported by other users (https://github.com/Nexus-Mods/Vortex/issues/6641) and will be fixed with the next release.
The key information your original post was missing was that this happens after you dragged the file into the drop zone at the bottom of the mod list.
When you wrote "when added to be installed" I thought you meant you had a mod already in the list and then clicked on the install button.