⚠ Known Issue: Media on User Profiles ×

What's new with Vortex? - 1.2.14 Update

BigBizkit

In response to post #82016448. #82018443, #82038358 are all replies on the same post.

MadeUpName92 wrote: I got a notification in Vortex that a new version of F4SE is out.

I DO NOT want vortex automatically 'checking' anything except itself.

Were did I give you permission to snoop around my PC and check what other software I have?
Pickysaurus wrote: Pretty sure it only does that when you click the "check for updates" button...

Regardless if you click the little gear on the update notification you can stop it from appearing, although there isn't really a good reason not to have the latest version installed unless you have an out of date and/or pirated copy of the game.

EDIT: It may actually do this on starting the up but it doesn't do an actual online "check", Vortex knows what the latest version of the script extender was when it was released so it just compares the version on your PC or to that number.
MadeUpName92 wrote: You didn't answer any of my questions, you only implied I was using a pirated copy of the game.

I repeat, where exactly did I give Vortex permission to check software other then the games I'm modding with it or the mods I install with it? (F4SE is not installed through Vortex)

There are several very good reasons not to update to the latest version. Here's a copy/paste from my latest post on the "Fallout4.exe Auto-Backup" thread. A mod with over 60,000 downloads whos purpose is to make rolling back to a previous version much easier.

~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~ WARNING! ~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~

Fallout 4 may auto-update when you "CLOSE" it after starting it with F4SE.

~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~

I just recently started a new game after not having played FO4 for several months. My exe is Version 1.10.138 and I'm still using the matching F4SE for that version. When I closed the game, steam started to download the update even though it's set to "Only update at launch" and I only start the game with F4SE after I've started steam. Steam doesn't even show the game is running. Luckily my Cable Modem is within arms reach and I quickly unplugged the cat cable.

Vortex is showing 171 plugins and I like the way my game runs and I just don't want it to change it so, I don't plan on ever updating it.

I'm not really sure what you're getting so upset about. If you don't like the notification, I've explained how you can disable it. The feature is a convenience function, so you can disable it entirely in the "Extensions" tab if you like, it's called "Script Extender Installer".

This is how it works:

1) Vortex's "Script Extender Installer" extension knows that the latest F4SE's latest version at the time of release was 0.6.20
2) When you manage Fallout 4, Vortex checks if f4se_loader.exe exists and gets its version.
3) If you don't have F4SE installed, Vortex will recommend it and if your version is lower than the known latest version it will inform you that there is an update. (Both of these alerts can be blocked).

If you wish to run an older copy of the game that's fine. Unfortunately, it isn't currently possible to compare the script extender version to the game version. So Vortex doesn't know if you have the correct version for your current game, it only knows it isn't the latest.

• Replies 163
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

In response to post #81916563. #81983618, #81987858, #81991703, #82015728, #82059653 are all replies on the same post.

MikeInWare wrote: I am eager for ModPaks in the future! Now with kids I don't have time to screw around with mods to get it perfect and am willing to pay for the ModPak to save my time.
HadToRegister wrote:
MikeInWare
I am eager for ModPaks in the future! Now with kids I don't have time to screw around with mods to get it perfect and am willing to pay for the ModPak to save my time.

Which is why a lot of modders don't like or want mod packs, because if you're paying for a modpack, then it's the person who put the modpack together that's getting paid, and NOT the people who actually made the mods.
There's already someone who did that and has their modpack behind a paywall on patreon, so while a bunch of mod authors did all the work, the guy who made the modpack is making all the money of other people's efforts.
llihP wrote: You make it sound as if making a bunch of mods work properly requires no effort. Creating a functioning mod list on Wabbajack is a mammoth task when you incorporate multiple, complex mods. I know because I've tried. There's no easy way to do it.

If this person isn't taking credit for creating the mods, then there's nothing wrong with putting a price on the time it takes to create a functioning mod pack. People are free to charge for their mods in the same way if they like, nothing's stopping them. In fact I recall paying Chesko years ago when he originally set up a patreon to help fund his mod development (before he had to take it down).

I would also happily pay for working mod packs regardless of who is setting them up.
MikeInWare wrote: They will make it work and get in line as the profits for ModPaks for the coming new Elder Scrolls "sequel" to Skyrim will be insane. I am absolutely confident that there will be vast amounts of ModPaks despite the challenges. If older modders balk they can be left out of the profits and a new generation of open minded modders can step in and earn profit collaborating on ModPaks.
HadToRegister wrote:
MikeInWare
If older modders balk they can be left out of the profits and a new generation of open minded modders can step in and earn profit collaborating on ModPaks.

Modders are already being left out of the profits!
Do you think that the people who basically took mods without permission, then made a modpack and are charging money for it are sending each modder a cut of those profits?
NO.
Currently the problem is, people making the modpacks aren't asking permission from the modders, and are making modpacks, then putting them behind paywalls and making money of them.
Essentially stealing the mods, packing them together and making money off the work of others.
Modders aren't even being given a say on whether they want or don't want their mods in mod packs.
llihP wrote: 'Packing them together'. An oversimplification if I ever saw one.

The time and effort required to create functioning most lists still seems to escape you for some reason.

They aren't packaging mods as they are and selling them. They aren't simply packaging them together and calling it a day either.

They are packaging mods in conjunction with custom patches (patches that can be classified as mods of their own) and load orders to ensure an automated experience that is hassle free. There are issues associated with maintaining these modpacks as well. Did the game just get an official update? There's more work they have to do. A mod in the list has been updated? Even more. A mod is updated with various new features that conflict with mod X, Y and Z? There's a tonne of additional work.

If 'packing them together' is the grand sum of your understanding, then clearly you don't understand what these people are doing at all.

llihP
'Packing them together'. An oversimplification if I ever saw one.
The time and effort required to create functioning most lists still seems to escape you for some reason.
They aren't packaging mods as they are and selling them. They aren't simply packaging them together and calling it a day either.
They are packaging mods in conjunction with custom patches (patches that can be classified as mods of their own) and load orders to ensure an automated experience that is hassle free. There are issues associated with maintaining these modpacks as well. Did the game just get an official update? There's more work they have to do. A mod in the list has been updated? Even more. A mod is updated with various new features that conflict with mod X, Y and Z? There's a tonne of additional work.
If 'packing them together' is the grand sum of your understanding, then clearly you don't understand what these people are doing at all.

Yea, thanks for being so condescending and insulting.
I've been modding since the morrowind days, I looked at your profile and you have ZERO Mods, compared to mine.
I used a simplified explanation to do just that, keep things simple, but thanks for being so insulting.
Why don't YOU make a few mods and have them taken without your permission and then put behind a paywall while you watch someone else make money from it while you get NOTHING?
Then we'll talk, until then you really don't have any opinion from a modder's perspective, whereas I do, and that's why a lot of modders are pulling their mods or just quitting.
Meanwhile, you keep on insulting Modders and using their work for free

In response to post #81916563. #81983618, #81987858, #81991703, #82015728, #82059653, #82072108 are all replies on the same post.

MikeInWare wrote: I am eager for ModPaks in the future! Now with kids I don't have time to screw around with mods to get it perfect and am willing to pay for the ModPak to save my time.
HadToRegister wrote:
MikeInWare
I am eager for ModPaks in the future! Now with kids I don't have time to screw around with mods to get it perfect and am willing to pay for the ModPak to save my time.

Which is why a lot of modders don't like or want mod packs, because if you're paying for a modpack, then it's the person who put the modpack together that's getting paid, and NOT the people who actually made the mods.
There's already someone who did that and has their modpack behind a paywall on patreon, so while a bunch of mod authors did all the work, the guy who made the modpack is making all the money of other people's efforts.
llihP wrote: You make it sound as if making a bunch of mods work properly requires no effort. Creating a functioning mod list on Wabbajack is a mammoth task when you incorporate multiple, complex mods. I know because I've tried. There's no easy way to do it.

If this person isn't taking credit for creating the mods, then there's nothing wrong with putting a price on the time it takes to create a functioning mod pack. People are free to charge for their mods in the same way if they like, nothing's stopping them. In fact I recall paying Chesko years ago when he originally set up a patreon to help fund his mod development (before he had to take it down).

I would also happily pay for working mod packs regardless of who is setting them up.
MikeInWare wrote: They will make it work and get in line as the profits for ModPaks for the coming new Elder Scrolls "sequel" to Skyrim will be insane. I am absolutely confident that there will be vast amounts of ModPaks despite the challenges. If older modders balk they can be left out of the profits and a new generation of open minded modders can step in and earn profit collaborating on ModPaks.
HadToRegister wrote:
MikeInWare
If older modders balk they can be left out of the profits and a new generation of open minded modders can step in and earn profit collaborating on ModPaks.

Do you think that the people who basically took mods without permission, then made a modpack and are charging money for it are sending each modder a cut of those profits?
NO.
Currently the problem is, people making the modpacks aren't asking permission from the modders, and are making modpacks, then putting them behind paywalls and making money of them.
Essentially stealing the mods, packing them together and making money off the work of others.
Modders aren't even being given a say on whether they want or don't want their mods in mod packs.

HadToRegister wrote:
llihP

I've been modding since the morrowind days, I looked at your profile and you have ZERO Mods, compared to mine.
I used a simplified explanation to do just that, keep things simple, but thanks for being so insulting.
Why don't YOU make a few mods and have them taken without your permission and then put behind a paywall while you watch someone else make money from it while you get NOTHING?
Then we'll talk, until then you really don't have any opinion from a modder's perspective, whereas I do, and that's why a lot of modders are pulling their mods or just quitting.

I literally coded the button you just used to reply to me. I also created games in the early 2000s, for free, totaling over 40 million downloads (combined). They were 'stolen' many times over the years, particularly by ad-driven websites and Android developers. I made nothing. I don't care. Don't presume to know who people are because you checked a profile.

Nothing you said refutes your lack of understanding. The people in question offer a valuable service and are more than entitled to compensation if that's the way they want to do things. Edited by llihP

In response to post #81916563. #81983618, #81987858, #81991703, #82015728, #82059653, #82072108, #82097373 are all replies on the same post.

HadToRegister wrote:
MikeInWare

HadToRegister wrote:
MikeInWare

NO.

HadToRegister wrote:
llihP

llihP wrote: I literally coded the button you just used to reply to me. I also created games in the early 2000s, for free, totaling over 40 million downloads (combined). They were 'stolen' many times over the years, particularly by ad-driven websites and Android developers. I made nothing. I don't care. Don't presume to know who people are because you checked a profile.

Nothing you said refutes your lack of understanding. The people in question offer a valuable service and are more than entitled to compensation if that's the way they want to do things.

Modders are free to work together on ModPak's and do a better job than the underground ones. Undercut the prices of those teams and gain customers. Competition is good. It's also best to focus on paying customers instead of people stealing from you.

In response to post #82016448. #82018443, #82038358, #82065273 are all replies on the same post.

MadeUpName92 wrote: I got a notification in Vortex that a new version of F4SE is out.

Were did I give you permission to snoop around my PC and check what other software I have?
Pickysaurus wrote: Pretty sure it only does that when you click the "check for updates" button...

Regardless if you click the little gear on the update notification you can stop it from appearing, although there isn't really a good reason not to have the latest version installed unless you have an out of date and/or pirated copy of the game.

EDIT: It may actually do this on starting the up but it doesn't do an actual online "check", Vortex knows what the latest version of the script extender was when it was released so it just compares the version on your PC or to that number.
MadeUpName92 wrote: You didn't answer any of my questions, you only implied I was using a pirated copy of the game.

I repeat, where exactly did I give Vortex permission to check software other then the games I'm modding with it or the mods I install with it? (F4SE is not installed through Vortex)

There are several very good reasons not to update to the latest version. Here's a copy/paste from my latest post on the "Fallout4.exe Auto-Backup" thread. A mod with over 60,000 downloads whos purpose is to make rolling back to a previous version much easier.

I just recently started a new game after not having played FO4 for several months. My exe is Version 1.10.138 and I'm still using the matching F4SE for that version. When I closed the game, steam started to download the update even though it's set to "Only update at launch" and I only start the game with F4SE after I've started steam. Steam doesn't even show the game is running. Luckily my Cable Modem is within arms reach and I quickly unplugged the cat cable.

Vortex is showing 171 plugins and I like the way my game runs and I just don't want it to change it so, I don't plan on ever updating it.
Pickysaurus wrote: I'm not really sure what you're getting so upset about. If you don't like the notification, I've explained how you can disable it. The feature is a convenience function, so you can disable it entirely in the "Extensions" tab if you like, it's called "Script Extender Installer".

This is how it works:

1) Vortex's "Script Extender Installer" extension knows that the latest F4SE's latest version at the time of release was 0.6.20
2) When you manage Fallout 4, Vortex checks if f4se_loader.exe exists and gets its version.
3) If you don't have F4SE installed, Vortex will recommend it and if your version is lower than the known latest version it will inform you that there is an update. (Both of these alerts can be blocked).

If you wish to run an older copy of the game that's fine. Unfortunately, it isn't currently possible to compare the script extender version to the game version. So Vortex doesn't know if you have the correct version for your current game, it only knows it isn't the latest.

He's upset because of the pirating accusation.

In response to post #81916563. #81983618, #81987858, #81991703, #82015728, #82059653, #82072108, #82097373, #82107173 are all replies on the same post.

HadToRegister wrote:
MikeInWare

HadToRegister wrote:
MikeInWare

NO.

HadToRegister wrote:
llihP

llihP wrote: I literally coded the button you just used to reply to me. I also created games in the early 2000s, for free, totaling over 40 million downloads (combined). They were 'stolen' many times over the years, particularly by ad-driven websites and Android developers. I made nothing. I don't care. Don't presume to know who people are because you checked a profile.

Nothing you said refutes your lack of understanding. The people in question offer a valuable service and are more than entitled to compensation if that's the way they want to do things.
MikeInWare wrote: Modders are free to work together on ModPak's and do a better job than the underground ones. Undercut the prices of those teams and gain customers. Competition is good. It's also best to focus on paying customers instead of people stealing from you.

Wait... Did I miss anything about Vortex including paid modpack support or something? As far as i know that would be as illegal as charging for the mods themselves.

Regardless, i'm also really looking forward to Modpacks. It's the reason I bought lifetime premium and might be the reason I stop using MO2 and start using Vortex. The possibilities of what we can accomplish by cooperatively building modpacks is enormous and a step in the direction of a more inclusive, cooperative and open modding community.

That being said, i'm all for contributing to mod pack creator's patreons, as i used to do for Ultimate Skyrim in the past before they started paywalling updates (Not sure if they still do that). Edited by Tabris999

In response to post #82016448. #82018443, #82038358, #82065273, #82107208 are all replies on the same post.

Pickysaurus wrote: I'm not really sure what you're getting so upset about. If you don't like the notification, I've explained how you can disable it. The feature is a convenience function, so you can disable it entirely in the "Extensions" tab if you like, it's called "Script Extender Installer".

This is how it works:

MikeInWare wrote: He's upset because of the pirating accusation.

I'm upset about #2. I did not knowingly give the vortex software permission to check other software on my PC. Apparently, I did not give it permission at all.

This is an invasion of privacy.

In response to post #82016448. #82018443, #82038358, #82065273, #82107208, #82139023 are all replies on the same post.

This is how it works:

MikeInWare wrote: He's upset because of the pirating accusation.
MadeUpName92 wrote: I'm upset about #2. I did not knowingly give the vortex software permission to check other software on my PC. Apparently, I did not give it permission at all.

This is an invasion of privacy.

That information is not transmitted to us or stored or shown anywhere other than on your own PC. Can you explain how it's an "invasion of privacy" because it seems like you're making a mountain out of a molehill

Almost all the software you install on your system checks for other installed software, unbeknownst to you, to ensure you have the requisite software necessary in order to function. I do not see how this is any different.

What exactly are you concerned about? What negatives do you perceive from the fact Vortex attempts to work out whether your script extender is out-of-date or not? Edited by Dark0ne

In response to post #81916563. #81983618, #81987858, #81991703, #82015728, #82059653, #82072108, #82097373, #82107173, #82125133 are all replies on the same post.

HadToRegister wrote:
MikeInWare

HadToRegister wrote:
MikeInWare

NO.

HadToRegister wrote:
llihP

MikeInWare wrote: Modders are free to work together on ModPak's and do a better job than the underground ones. Undercut the prices of those teams and gain customers. Competition is good. It's also best to focus on paying customers instead of people stealing from you.
Tabris999 wrote: Wait... Did I miss anything about Vortex including paid modpack support or something? As far as i know that would be as illegal as charging for the mods themselves.

Regardless, i'm also really looking forward to Modpacks. It's the reason I bought lifetime premium and might be the reason I stop using MO2 and start using Vortex. The possibilities of what we can accomplish by cooperatively building modpacks is enormous and a step in the direction of a more inclusive, cooperative and open modding community.

That being said, i'm all for contributing to mod pack creator's patreons, as i used to do for Ultimate Skyrim in the past before they started paywalling updates (Not sure if they still do that).

llihP
Don't presume to know who people are because you checked a profile.

You should take your own advice, also, don't bother replying, I won't see it.
Edited by HadToRegister