What's new with Vortex? - 1.2.14 Update

BigBizkit

So I just got a new pc and had to reinstall all my mods so I figured itd be a good time to try switching to Vortex from NMM. Gotta say I was really disappointed in the inability to do simple stuff like drag and drop my load order into the correct spots. Alot of mods were running into conflicts that were due to load orders, and it really felt like the launcher was trying to make me do stuff a certain way like it knew what was better even though it was what was messing up my game. A few mods didnt even show up in plugins like they would on NMM so I had no way of knowing if they were even activated. After a few days of messing around with it Im just uninstalling vortex and going back to NMM. Really disappointed that this is the "new standard" mod manager

• Replies 163
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

In response to post #82016448. #82018443, #82038358, #82065273, #82107208, #82139023, #82139513, #82181403, #82194668, #82214678 are all replies on the same post.

MadeUpName92 wrote: I got a notification in Vortex that a new version of F4SE is out.

I DO NOT want vortex automatically 'checking' anything except itself.

Were did I give you permission to snoop around my PC and check what other software I have?
Pickysaurus wrote: Pretty sure it only does that when you click the "check for updates" button...

Regardless if you click the little gear on the update notification you can stop it from appearing, although there isn't really a good reason not to have the latest version installed unless you have an out of date and/or pirated copy of the game.

EDIT: It may actually do this on starting the up but it doesn't do an actual online "check", Vortex knows what the latest version of the script extender was when it was released so it just compares the version on your PC or to that number.
MadeUpName92 wrote: You didn't answer any of my questions, you only implied I was using a pirated copy of the game.

I repeat, where exactly did I give Vortex permission to check software other then the games I'm modding with it or the mods I install with it? (F4SE is not installed through Vortex)

There are several very good reasons not to update to the latest version. Here's a copy/paste from my latest post on the "Fallout4.exe Auto-Backup" thread. A mod with over 60,000 downloads whos purpose is to make rolling back to a previous version much easier.

~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~ WARNING! ~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~

Fallout 4 may auto-update when you "CLOSE" it after starting it with F4SE.

~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~

I just recently started a new game after not having played FO4 for several months. My exe is Version 1.10.138 and I'm still using the matching F4SE for that version. When I closed the game, steam started to download the update even though it's set to "Only update at launch" and I only start the game with F4SE after I've started steam. Steam doesn't even show the game is running. Luckily my Cable Modem is within arms reach and I quickly unplugged the cat cable.

Vortex is showing 171 plugins and I like the way my game runs and I just don't want it to change it so, I don't plan on ever updating it.
Pickysaurus wrote: I'm not really sure what you're getting so upset about. If you don't like the notification, I've explained how you can disable it. The feature is a convenience function, so you can disable it entirely in the "Extensions" tab if you like, it's called "Script Extender Installer".

This is how it works:

1) Vortex's "Script Extender Installer" extension knows that the latest F4SE's latest version at the time of release was 0.6.20
2) When you manage Fallout 4, Vortex checks if f4se_loader.exe exists and gets its version.
3) If you don't have F4SE installed, Vortex will recommend it and if your version is lower than the known latest version it will inform you that there is an update. (Both of these alerts can be blocked).

If you wish to run an older copy of the game that's fine. Unfortunately, it isn't currently possible to compare the script extender version to the game version. So Vortex doesn't know if you have the correct version for your current game, it only knows it isn't the latest.
MikeInWare wrote: He's upset because of the pirating accusation.
MadeUpName92 wrote: I'm upset about #2. I did not knowingly give the vortex software permission to check other software on my PC. Apparently, I did not give it permission at all.

This is an invasion of privacy.
Dark0ne wrote: That information is not transmitted to us or stored or shown anywhere other than on your own PC. Can you explain how it's an "invasion of privacy" because it seems like you're making a mountain out of a molehill

Almost all the software you install on your system checks for other installed software, unbeknownst to you, to ensure you have the requisite software necessary in order to function. I do not see how this is any different.

What exactly are you concerned about? What negatives do you perceive from the fact Vortex attempts to work out whether your script extender is out-of-date or not?
Sonja wrote: "....although there isn't really a good reason not to have the latest version installed unless you have an out of date and/or pirated copy of the game."

Putting aside unnecessary accusations of piracy, and privacy concerns for the moment, you guys DO KNOW that, in fact, many of us deliberately prevent FO4 and Skyrim SE from updating so that our carefully built installs aren't buggered up whenever Bethesda adds yet another pointless CC update?
1ae0bfb8 wrote:
I'm upset about #2. I did not knowingly give the vortex software permission to check other software on my PC. Apparently, I did not give it permission at all.

You literally have no idea what you're talking about.
If you have some weird-a$$ privacy concerns, why are you even on the internet?
if you want privacy here's what you do.

1. turn off your computer.
2. remove the hard disk
3. smash it to pieces with a hammer
4. do the same with your phone
5. do the same with your smart tv and any other "smart" devices in your house
6. destroy your car
7. sell your house.
8. empty your bank account
9. live in a tent on an atol in the south pacific and live off shellfish
i think - you deliberately misunderstanding the fact that a program which is designed to check software to see if it needs to be updated is actually doing that shows you to be either completely and utterly clueless, or a troll. Or both. what part of this functionality did you miss when you installed it on your computer of your own free will?
Pickysaurus wrote: I am aware of those who chose to do that. I don't think it's terribly smart personally, and with it being a while since the game was updated most of the F4SE/SKSE plugins that need updating are ready for the new build.

Mountains are are built of many little molehills. You start with one and say "it's just one small thing". The next thing you know there's a million small things. I'm not ignorant, I know how "Free" websites make money. "If you aren't paying for a product, then you are the product".

I never gave permission to check other software on my PC "Period".

"I never gave permission". You decided to check other software on my hardware with out my permission. Not to mention you've already put in place advertising. What's the next thing you will do without my permission? How many things does it take? For me, just one. If I don't stop you now you'll assume it's ok and keep doing it.

I've blocked Vortex in the firewall and won't ever update it again or use it for any new games in the future. I can still use it to add and remove mods I manually download for Fallout and that's all I will ever use it for going forward.

Edited by MadeUpName92

In response to post #82016448. #82018443, #82038358, #82065273, #82107208, #82139023, #82139513, #82181403, #82194668, #82214678, #82526588 are all replies on the same post.

MadeUpName92 wrote: I got a notification in Vortex that a new version of F4SE is out.

Were did I give you permission to snoop around my PC and check what other software I have?
Pickysaurus wrote: Pretty sure it only does that when you click the "check for updates" button...

Regardless if you click the little gear on the update notification you can stop it from appearing, although there isn't really a good reason not to have the latest version installed unless you have an out of date and/or pirated copy of the game.

EDIT: It may actually do this on starting the up but it doesn't do an actual online "check", Vortex knows what the latest version of the script extender was when it was released so it just compares the version on your PC or to that number.
MadeUpName92 wrote: You didn't answer any of my questions, you only implied I was using a pirated copy of the game.

I repeat, where exactly did I give Vortex permission to check software other then the games I'm modding with it or the mods I install with it? (F4SE is not installed through Vortex)

There are several very good reasons not to update to the latest version. Here's a copy/paste from my latest post on the "Fallout4.exe Auto-Backup" thread. A mod with over 60,000 downloads whos purpose is to make rolling back to a previous version much easier.

I just recently started a new game after not having played FO4 for several months. My exe is Version 1.10.138 and I'm still using the matching F4SE for that version. When I closed the game, steam started to download the update even though it's set to "Only update at launch" and I only start the game with F4SE after I've started steam. Steam doesn't even show the game is running. Luckily my Cable Modem is within arms reach and I quickly unplugged the cat cable.

Vortex is showing 171 plugins and I like the way my game runs and I just don't want it to change it so, I don't plan on ever updating it.
Pickysaurus wrote: I'm not really sure what you're getting so upset about. If you don't like the notification, I've explained how you can disable it. The feature is a convenience function, so you can disable it entirely in the "Extensions" tab if you like, it's called "Script Extender Installer".

This is how it works:

1) Vortex's "Script Extender Installer" extension knows that the latest F4SE's latest version at the time of release was 0.6.20
2) When you manage Fallout 4, Vortex checks if f4se_loader.exe exists and gets its version.
3) If you don't have F4SE installed, Vortex will recommend it and if your version is lower than the known latest version it will inform you that there is an update. (Both of these alerts can be blocked).

If you wish to run an older copy of the game that's fine. Unfortunately, it isn't currently possible to compare the script extender version to the game version. So Vortex doesn't know if you have the correct version for your current game, it only knows it isn't the latest.
MadeUpName92 wrote: I'm upset about #2. I did not knowingly give the vortex software permission to check other software on my PC. Apparently, I did not give it permission at all.

Dark0ne wrote: That information is not transmitted to us or stored or shown anywhere other than on your own PC. Can you explain how it's an "invasion of privacy" because it seems like you're making a mountain out of a molehill

Almost all the software you install on your system checks for other installed software, unbeknownst to you, to ensure you have the requisite software necessary in order to function. I do not see how this is any different.

What exactly are you concerned about? What negatives do you perceive from the fact Vortex attempts to work out whether your script extender is out-of-date or not?
Sonja wrote: "....although there isn't really a good reason not to have the latest version installed unless you have an out of date and/or pirated copy of the game."

Putting aside unnecessary accusations of piracy, and privacy concerns for the moment, you guys DO KNOW that, in fact, many of us deliberately prevent FO4 and Skyrim SE from updating so that our carefully built installs aren't buggered up whenever Bethesda adds yet another pointless CC update?
1ae0bfb8 wrote:
I'm upset about #2. I did not knowingly give the vortex software permission to check other software on my PC. Apparently, I did not give it permission at all.

2. remove the hard disk
6. destroy your car
7. sell your house.
i think - you deliberately misunderstanding the fact that a program which is designed to check software to see if it needs to be updated is actually doing that shows you to be either completely and utterly clueless, or a troll. Or both. what part of this functionality did you miss when you installed it on your computer of your own free will?
Pickysaurus wrote: I am aware of those who chose to do that. I don't think it's terribly smart personally, and with it being a while since the game was updated most of the F4SE/SKSE plugins that need updating are ready for the new build.
MadeUpName92 wrote: Mountains are are built of many little molehills. You start with one and say "it's just one small thing". The next thing you know there's a million small things. I'm not ignorant, I know how "Free" websites make money. "If you aren't paying for a product, then you are the product".

"I never gave permission". You decided to check other software on my hardware with out my permission. Not to mention you've already put in place advertising. What's the next thing you will do without my permission? How many things does it take? For me, just one. If I don't stop you now you'll assume it's ok and keep doing it.

I've blocked Vortex in the firewall and won't ever update it again or use it for any new games in the future. I can still use it to add and remove mods I manually download for Fallout and that's all I will ever use it for going forward.

You didn't answer my question. What exactly are you concerned about? What negatives do you perceive from the fact Vortex attempts to work out whether your script extender is out-of-date or not?

If your last post is you saying you're no longer going to use Vortex then that's perfectly fine by me. If you're paranoid enough to worry about Vortex checking for new versions of SKSE then you probably shouldn't even be on this site at all - after all, your download history tells you whenever a mod you've downloaded has been updated and that's just not cricket, right? Edited by Dark0ne

In response to post #82016448. #82018443, #82038358, #82065273, #82107208, #82139023, #82139513, #82181403, #82194668, #82214678, #82526588, #82533018 are all replies on the same post.

This is how it works:

1ae0bfb8 wrote:

2. remove the hard disk
6. destroy your car
7. sell your house.
MadeUpName92 wrote: Mountains are are built of many little molehills. You start with one and say "it's just one small thing". The next thing you know there's a million small things. I'm not ignorant, I know how "Free" websites make money. "If you aren't paying for a product, then you are the product".

Dark0ne wrote: You didn't answer my question. What exactly are you concerned about? What negatives do you perceive from the fact Vortex attempts to work out whether your script extender is out-of-date or not?

If your last post is you saying you're no longer going to use Vortex then that's perfectly fine by me. If you're paranoid enough to worry about Vortex checking for new versions of SKSE then you probably shouldn't even be on this site at all - after all, your download history tells you whenever a mod you've downloaded has been updated and that's just not cricket, right?

MadeUpName92: This isn't a molehill, this is nothing and you can pile up as much nothing as you want it won't become a mountain...
Vortex isn't reporting any of its findings to anyone, it's only detecting software on your computer with the purpose of improving your life, in the same way it's discovering the games themselves, how did you figure that worked?
We don't ask for your permission because a) there is no possible drawback for you and b) it should be obvious based on the vortex core purpose that it's going to look for relevant software, every mod manager does that to some degree.
Vortex sends no user information back and if you want you can verify that because the source code is public. You can also disable the extension providing this particular feature if it bothers you so much.
I don't think we could possibly be more open.

And just to clarify something here: Vortex does not generate a list of software you have installed. It looks for the supported games and specific well-known tools that are relevant to modding for that game. At no point does it collect information about unrelated stuff.

In response to post #82545218.

apex12 wrote: I haven't used vortex since, i dunno, maybe summer of last year. and i'm wondering... is vortex still in alpha/beta or is it fully released? if so what upcoming/planned features do you plan on implementing? im interested. :)

Vortex has been "full release" since 1.0.0 came out :)

There's quite a lot in the pipeline and we'll be posting more news in future revealing our current and future plans.

In response to post #82524283.

yavin1997 wrote: So I just got a new pc and had to reinstall all my mods so I figured itd be a good time to try switching to Vortex from NMM. Gotta say I was really disappointed in the inability to do simple stuff like drag and drop my load order into the correct spots. Alot of mods were running into conflicts that were due to load orders, and it really felt like the launcher was trying to make me do stuff a certain way like it knew what was better even though it was what was messing up my game. A few mods didnt even show up in plugins like they would on NMM so I had no way of knowing if they were even activated. After a few days of messing around with it Im just uninstalling vortex and going back to NMM. Really disappointed that this is the "new standard" mod manager

Don't take this the wrong way, but you were doing it wrong.

You need to get past the bad habits that NMM has burned into your modding over the years. With Vortex you barely need to touch the plugins tab. It uses LOOT to automatically generate your optimum load order. If something isn't to your liking you can assign the plugin to a group and even make a specific rule. When you say "drag and drop my load order into the correct spots" chances are what you perceive as "correct" is not so or based on faulty advice. The LOOT masterlist is maintained by the entire Bethesda modding community so their combined knowledge is likely to be "more correct" that whatever you're basing your load order on.

Ultimately, this is a discussion that has been done to death, so I'm not going to discuss the load order approach any further. You can learn more about Vortex load ordering here, if interested.

I would recommend you give Vortex another try, but embrace the new features rather than trying to force it to be the (inferior) NMM.

In response to post #82016448. #82018443, #82038358, #82065273, #82107208, #82139023, #82139513, #82181403, #82194668, #82214678, #82526588, #82533018, #82545033 are all replies on the same post.

This is how it works:

1ae0bfb8 wrote:

2. remove the hard disk
6. destroy your car
7. sell your house.

Dark0ne wrote: You didn't answer my question. What exactly are you concerned about? What negatives do you perceive from the fact Vortex attempts to work out whether your script extender is out-of-date or not?

If your last post is you saying you're no longer going to use Vortex then that's perfectly fine by me. If you're paranoid enough to worry about Vortex checking for new versions of SKSE then you probably shouldn't even be on this site at all - after all, your download history tells you whenever a mod you've downloaded has been updated and that's just not cricket, right?
Tannin42 wrote: MadeUpName92: This isn't a molehill, this is nothing and you can pile up as much nothing as you want it won't become a mountain...
Vortex isn't reporting any of its findings to anyone, it's only detecting software on your computer with the purpose of improving your life, in the same way it's discovering the games themselves, how did you figure that worked?
We don't ask for your permission because a) there is no possible drawback for you and b) it should be obvious based on the vortex core purpose that it's going to look for relevant software, every mod manager does that to some degree.
Vortex sends no user information back and if you want you can verify that because the source code is public. You can also disable the extension providing this particular feature if it bothers you so much.
I don't think we could possibly be more open.

And just to clarify something here: Vortex does not generate a list of software you have installed. It looks for the supported games and specific well-known tools that are relevant to modding for that game. At no point does it collect information about unrelated stuff.

This is just more repercussions of the use of telemetry and harvesting data for marketing and other purposes nowadays. Not to mention the numerous inevitable data breaches. People are just starting to loose trust of software developers as a whole. More problems to lay at the feet of Microsoft, Facebook, various mobile developers (and the immoral people who continue to work for some of these companies), and others. People are getting more and more paranoid about it these days, it seems. It's sad, I can see where it could drive someone to paranoia, especially if they've been phished before. But I'm sure you already know all this and I'm preaching to the choir.

Whatever happened to that talk about Vortex supporting author-friendly modpacks so that users with limited time can actually play Bethesda games instead of spending absurd amounts of time configuring files they barely understand (and basically have to become modders themselves to do)? Edited by NekoGatoKnight

In response to post #82593928.

NekoGatoKnight wrote: Whatever happened to that talk about Vortex supporting author-friendly modpacks so that users with limited time can actually play Bethesda games instead of spending absurd amounts of time configuring files they barely understand (and basically have to become modders themselves to do)?

We're still working on it and will announce more news closer to release.