What's new with Vortex? - 1.2.14 Update

BigBizkit

In response to post #81823528. #81825118, #81831593, #81862003 are all replies on the same post.

valshares24 wrote: Would be great if you add the ability to use the arrows and the enter button when installing mods.
BigBizkit wrote: In what way exactly?
valshares24 wrote: I mean during fomod installation. Only mouse installation is available in Vortex.
callingbear wrote: Would also be nice to be able to use the PageUp, PageDown, Up Arrow & Down Arrow keys when scrolling through mods that are already installed.
Having to use the mouse wheel when you have 130+ Skyrim SE mods installed is a bit tedious.

This is good feedback, keyboard controls are useful for accessibility too. :)

• Replies 163
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

In response to post #81857318.

vevesumi wrote: its refusing to log me in at all its infuriating. the api key keeps timing out as well.
i decided trying to uninstall and reinstall vortex. now i cant download it at all. welp thanks i guess.

Sounds like something on your PC is blocking Vortex from accessing the internet. Check your security apps.

In response to post #81861268. #81861513 is also a reply to the same post.

Shadowstag wrote: I have been using NMM for a very long time. Vortex is easy to use when it comes to downloading, installing and adding mods. However, when it comes to the management of mods Vortex severely lacks the functionality that NMM had. I used Vortex for a fresh install of SSE and had nothing but mod management problems that I never had before with NMM while using the same mods! The constant rinse and repeat of the deployment and rewrite process, coupled with false reporting of 'redundant' mods is a persistent pain in the arse. Being stuck with this is not a great feeling especially when you consider the volume of mods many of us have.
kormarch28 wrote: I agree 100% with everything you said. Plus when it updates it always breaks something. I looked everywhere for a way to disable auto updates for Vortex itself and could not find it, that is honestly unacceptable. Even after it asked me about the update, it still forced it. If the manager isn't broken for someone and/or they don't need the update, there is no reason to force updates. It deleted the desktop shortcut, it disabled every single mod in my load order, and when I re-enabled them it auto sorted a lot of them wrong and broke the load order therefore breaking the mods in game. Also, stop warning me after using bodyslide or converting to ESL's in F04/SSEdit that an outside source changed mods and forcing a "Deployment" for no reason. Then, to top it off it kept telling me that f4se_0_06_21 isn't the most recent, definitely is, and wouldn't launch through Vortex. Maybe that could have been a one off incident, but really? I don't want to keep using NMM, I really don't, I want to use Vortex, but the app simply has too much control over everything and it has been out long enough these kinds of things shouldn't be happening.

Ok, let's dig into this. Apologies if I miss anything.
However, when it comes to the management of mods Vortex severely lacks the functionality that NMM had.

Could you elaborate on features you say Vortex is lacking? You go on to talk about features Vortex has that NMM lacks.
The constant rinse and repeat of the deployment and rewrite process

You can turn off automatic deployment in Settings -> Interface
[...] false reporting of 'redundant' mods is a persistent pain in the arse.

Vortex does not falsely report this. either you have a mod installed that contains no files or (more likely) you have a mod install that is entirely overwritten by as a result of what you chose in "File Conflicts". If you disable the ones marked redundant, it should actually have no impact on the game (because those mods were not loading any files).

Now, kormarch28...
Plus when it updates it always breaks something

I'm sorry if you encountered bugs after updating. If you're opted into the "testing" branch in Settings -> Vortex, I would suggest switching back to stable. The test branch (as the name implies) is the bleeding edge of new features. We only mark a build stable when we are confident it's a stable build. Vortex will always try and stay up to date as we drop support for older versions (as they contain bugs we've already fixed). You can turn this off in Settings -> Vortex -> Update.
It deleted the desktop shortcut, it disabled every single mod in my load order, and when I re-enabled them it auto sorted a lot of them wrong and broke the load order therefore breaking the mods in game.

It is very unlikely a Vortex update caused this, your plugins.txt file is managed by your game and is not changed when updating Vortex.
Also, stop warning me after using bodyslide or converting to ESL's in F04/SSEdit that an outside source changed mods and forcing a "Deployment" for no reason.

Vortex is telling you that your files have been modified. It cannot tell if you did this intentionally. I'll admit the "External Changes" window could be made a little more friendly to look at but it's definitely functional. You can flag a plugin as light inside Vortex (double click in the plugins tab), which would same some of this from happening. A deployment is required because it will copy the changes back into your staging folder and ensure Vortex is still managing the new/updated files.

Then, to top it off it kept telling me that f4se_0_06_21 isn't the most recent, definitely is, and wouldn't launch through Vortex.

Ok, so I have to be honest. If Vortex is telling you F4SE is not installed properly (or isn't the latest version) AND it doesn't launch from the dashboard, chances are you haven't installed it properly. The new guided install/update process should help with that (in 1.2.12+). We added it specifically because users have a hard time installing SKSE/F4SE/etc properly.

It sounds like both of you just misunderstand a few things. So feel free to stop by the support forums or our Discord if you'd like some help :)

When I click "Restart and Install", Vortex closes but never restarts (I tried twice and waited 2-5 minutes). When I restarted it manually from the desktop shortcut, it still says there's an update to install. Is there a setting I need to change?

Edit: FYI, the Changelog says version 1.2.15

Edited by jbwenu

In response to post #81855998.

lavigilia wrote: Windows 10 is giving that "This app can't run on your PC" since the last update. Never happend before. I'm already tried disabling the smartscreen option and cleaning the register.
Any ideas?

Thanks

Same problem here. Don't know what to do.

Guess I'll throw my hat into the ring and add to the pile: Ever since I updated Vortex to 1.2.15 (NOT 1.2.14 as this says and like it should) I have had the following happen to me:

- API key keeps timing out

- Mods refuse to download (Vortex stating they keep timing out)

- Refuses to let me log in on Vortex

And probably one or two other things which I cannot remember at the time of writing this comment!

In response to post #81864173.

jbwenu wrote: When I click "Restart and Install", Vortex closes but never restarts (I tried twice and waited 2-5 minutes). When I restarted it manually from the desktop shortcut, it still says there's an update to install. Is there a setting I need to change?

Edit: FYI, the Changelog says version 1.2.15

Sounds like your Anti-virus might be messing with the update. Try downloading a new version from the site and install it over the top of your current copy.

In response to post #81861268. #81861513, #81863428 are all replies on the same post.

Shadowstag wrote: I have been using NMM for a very long time. Vortex is easy to use when it comes to downloading, installing and adding mods. However, when it comes to the management of mods Vortex severely lacks the functionality that NMM had. I used Vortex for a fresh install of SSE and had nothing but mod management problems that I never had before with NMM while using the same mods! The constant rinse and repeat of the deployment and rewrite process, coupled with false reporting of 'redundant' mods is a persistent pain in the arse. Being stuck with this is not a great feeling especially when you consider the volume of mods many of us have.
kormarch28 wrote: I agree 100% with everything you said. Plus when it updates it always breaks something. I looked everywhere for a way to disable auto updates for Vortex itself and could not find it, that is honestly unacceptable. Even after it asked me about the update, it still forced it. If the manager isn't broken for someone and/or they don't need the update, there is no reason to force updates. It deleted the desktop shortcut, it disabled every single mod in my load order, and when I re-enabled them it auto sorted a lot of them wrong and broke the load order therefore breaking the mods in game. Also, stop warning me after using bodyslide or converting to ESL's in F04/SSEdit that an outside source changed mods and forcing a "Deployment" for no reason. Then, to top it off it kept telling me that f4se_0_06_21 isn't the most recent, definitely is, and wouldn't launch through Vortex. Maybe that could have been a one off incident, but really? I don't want to keep using NMM, I really don't, I want to use Vortex, but the app simply has too much control over everything and it has been out long enough these kinds of things shouldn't be happening.
Pickysaurus wrote: Ok, let's dig into this. Apologies if I miss anything.
However, when it comes to the management of mods Vortex severely lacks the functionality that NMM had.

Could you elaborate on features you say Vortex is lacking? You go on to talk about features Vortex has that NMM lacks.

Vortex does not falsely report this. either you have a mod installed that contains no files or (more likely) you have a mod install that is entirely overwritten by as a result of what you chose in "File Conflicts". If you disable the ones marked redundant, it should actually have no impact on the game (because those mods were not loading any files).

Now, kormarch28...

I'm sorry if you encountered bugs after updating. If you're opted into the "testing" branch in Settings -> Vortex, I would suggest switching back to stable. The test branch (as the name implies) is the bleeding edge of new features. We only mark a build stable when we are confident it's a stable build. Vortex will always try and stay up to date as we drop support for older versions (as they contain bugs we've already fixed). You can turn this off in Settings -> Vortex -> Update.
It deleted the desktop shortcut, it disabled every single mod in my load order, and when I re-enabled them it auto sorted a lot of them wrong and broke the load order therefore breaking the mods in game.

It is very unlikely a Vortex update caused this, your plugins.txt file is managed by your game and is not changed when updating Vortex.
Also, stop warning me after using bodyslide or converting to ESL's in F04/SSEdit that an outside source changed mods and forcing a "Deployment" for no reason.

Vortex is telling you that your files have been modified. It cannot tell if you did this intentionally. I'll admit the "External Changes" window could be made a little more friendly to look at but it's definitely functional. You can flag a plugin as light inside Vortex (double click in the plugins tab), which would same some of this from happening. A deployment is required because it will copy the changes back into your staging folder and ensure Vortex is still managing the new/updated files.

Then, to top it off it kept telling me that f4se_0_06_21 isn't the most recent, definitely is, and wouldn't launch through Vortex.

Ok, so I have to be honest. If Vortex is telling you F4SE is not installed properly (or isn't the latest version) AND it doesn't launch from the dashboard, chances are you haven't installed it properly. The new guided install/update process should help with that (in 1.2.12+). We added it specifically because users have a hard time installing SKSE/F4SE/etc properly.

It sounds like both of you just misunderstand a few things. So feel free to stop by the support forums or our Discord if you'd like some help :)

"Ok, so I have to be honest. If Vortex is telling you F4SE is not installed properly (or isn't the latest version) AND it doesn't launch from the dashboard, chances are you haven't installed it properly."

No f4se was installed properly because the link from the desktop shortcut worked perfectly fine, vortex told me the latest version (f4se_0_06_21) was out of date and wouldn't launch, not that it was installed incorrectly. What you are implying I said wasn't what I said at all.

"Vortex is telling you that your files have been modified. It cannot tell if you did this intentionally."

It doesn't need to tell me that I changed files, I know I did. This goes back to it having too much control over everything.

"It is very unlikely a Vortex update caused this, your plugins.txt file is managed by your game and is not changed when updating Vortex."

It did. I don't know what to tell you about that, it happened.

Edited by kormarch28

In response to post #81855998. #81865038 is also a reply to the same post.

lavigilia wrote: Windows 10 is giving that "This app can't run on your PC" since the last update. Never happend before. I'm already tried disabling the smartscreen option and cleaning the register.
Any ideas?

Thanks
KaptnBlack wrote: Same problem here. Don't know what to do.

This might be down to an issue with smartscreen which we are currently investigating. Thanks for the report!

In response to post #81861268. #81861513, #81863428, #81866323 are all replies on the same post.

Pickysaurus wrote: Ok, let's dig into this. Apologies if I miss anything.

Now, kormarch28...

kormarch28 wrote: "Ok, so I have to be honest. If Vortex is telling you F4SE is not installed properly (or isn't the latest version) AND it doesn't launch from the dashboard, chances are you haven't installed it properly."

No f4se was installed properly because the link from the desktop shortcut worked perfectly fine, vortex told me the latest version (f4se_0_06_21) was out of date and wouldn't launch, not that it was installed incorrectly. What you are implying I said wasn't what I said at all.

"Vortex is telling you that your files have been modified. It cannot tell if you did this intentionally."

It doesn't need to tell me that I changed files, I know I did. This goes back to it having too much control over everything.

"It is very unlikely a Vortex update caused this, your plugins.txt file is managed by your game and is not changed when updating Vortex."

It did. I don't know what to tell you about that, it happened.

> "Vortex is telling you that your files have been modified. It cannot tell if you did this intentionally."
> It doesn't need to tell me that I changed files, I know I did. This goes back to it having too much control over everything.

It's not _telling_ you that you changed files. We assume that you know that. It's asking you what to do with the change. Because yes, you know that you changed files intentionally but Vortex can't.
It has to synchronize the staging folder and the game folder, otherwise we wouldn't be able to switch profiles or purge or otherwise temporarily disable mods. And for Vortex to not ask you it would have to guess your intention. And even though it would be able to make a fairly good guess but it can't possibly know. There would still be the risk Vortex would sometimes pick the wrong file and thereby delete hours of your work if you were, say, editing your own mod in the CreationKit or xedit.
So the question becomes: Do you want to spend the few seconds to press save, to confirm you did do the intentional changes Vortex thinks you did or do you want Vortex to try and be smarter than it can be and risk deleting your work? There is no third option, either we guess or we ask.

That dialog is *not* about us holding your hand, it's Vortex asking for your help on something it can not reliably automate.

> "It is very unlikely a Vortex update caused this, your plugins.txt file is managed by your game and is not changed when updating Vortex."
> It did. I don't know what to tell you about that, it happened.

It absolutely didn't. Coincidences do happen, just because the two events seem to happen around the same time doesn't mean they are connected. The Vortex update touches nothing apart from its own installation directory and the registry keys that stores the installation location. I can guarantee you that the vortex update mechanism does not touch your plugins.txt file, it's impossible. Edited by Tannin42