Blog piece: Ads, Supporters, Endorsements and Bandwidth Throttling

Dark0ne

@alricky Whilst that sounds like a marvelous idea, in reality not everyone has access to a credit card or paypal account and so many would be alienated and probably bring hate to the nexus and ect...

Anyhow, my only comment is a contemplation on the 'Gaming stuff only' skin adds... Im sorry, but i see a lot of Generic-elf-orgy-rome-mmos in our future... xD

• Replies 450
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

Subscribed for life love this site!!! I have to say one thing this community is one of the best communities anywhere fostered by some of the best people period. I am so proud to see people co-operate in such a way without consideration to nationality, language, or race. Where can you get a nexus (or skyrim nexus) t-shirt!?

Since I joined nexus my Skyrim experience doubled up and I never played any games other than Skyrim, I even stopped playing some online games just to play this wonderful game so I'm grateful to you guys for giving me that much of enjoyment. I'd like to be a subscriber unfortunately I can't pay through any means only through money transfers. So could you make a donation buttons for the likes of me? Good job and good luck. Edited by deynger

I can understand some people have had problems using Paypal,Credit Cards,Banks,etc etc..

It is a well known fact that the largest criminal activity is ripping people off thru the internet..

Even larger than drugs worldwide....

I have used Paypal for years and never had any problems,TIP the system I use is have an extra Bank Account with very little in it.When you need to add money to Paypal,take it from your normal account and deposit into your other account which is nearly empty...Transfer money

from that account to Paypal.this way the bank information on the internet is nearly empty

anyway..

I have used this system for many years (touch wood) without any problems...

Hope this helps people out,because Paypal is extremely safe...

Thanks for another informative post!

I'm happy to see what kind of system are your ads using (CPA/CPC/CPM). Clarifying this could help anyone who wants to actively support the sites.

And also, the ad-free Supporter system! Honestly, same as you, current Supporter features are very minor... Nice change!

(don't mention I'm a premium user, just I want to support here :) )

However I'm feeling anxious about the detection of whether visitor see ads or not because that could be wrong depending on the implementation.

What if ad blockers visitor uses are sophisticated to "pretend" to see ads (say, downloading it but not showing it)?

That leads another unfairness between users who use ad blockers and don't, which could be your concern...

And the bandwidth throttling you will put is, IMO, little loose.

Downloading file at 500KB/s is comfortable and at 1MB/s is fast for many users, considering my experience in other sites.

I hope the change won't put huge load to servers here.

Thanks for all the clarification.

For those who are afraid of getting ripped off (even if using paypal) you could use a prepaid credit card to fund online purchase and live without worries.

To conserve bandwidth... I'd like to have much more control over what I see as search result.

e.g. I was looking for "Frostfall" and got 12 or so translations on top of the file I wanted to see. Can we switch off certain categories we are definitely not interested in, that may save bandwidth too.

Not that I don't like paypal, but not all of us has constant injections of money on our bank accounts and gets sallary every months. At least in our country you have to pay to have a card that is viable for paypal. And I don't have money to get the card.