Blog piece: Ads, Supporters, Endorsements and Bandwidth Throttling

Dark0ne

Hi Dark0ne, thank you for taking the time to explain all of this. Personally for me, I have used the Nexus for some years, had a massive gameplay experience boost for Morrowind, Oblivion and Skyrim. I'm happily a premium member with lifetime access to support the site. In comparison a small amount of money for so much in return over the years! When I have the skills I will be adding some mods to Skyrim, my few simple mods for Oblivion were welcomed and endorsed.

So you have discussed your ideas for generating funding, and the improvements, avoiding ads with annoying loud music, excessive tracking and spybots would encourage more support for them.

Moving adult rated mods to supporter/premium access only will soon generate funding!

Limiting downloads per month for non supporters should also come in, I'm sorry if you have a internet access, a pc capable of playing Skyrim and adding mods, you can cough up a quid!

In addition why not develop a new status tier, a gold star rating for mod creators, the more rated and endorsed mods they have- then the more stars they receive, this would be for their contributions to the community. Special ackowledgment to Nexus only mods should be given. Now add a requirement of a quid to access the 5 star rated stuff, supporters will have access to these top mods. Premium members get the new mods and updates a little earlier than non supporters as a thanks. And a new tier of VIP to come in, they get access to something in addition to their normal premium service, a special logo, and pay 20 or so quid per year to be VIP- maybe custom skins browser, custom avatars, and maybe special content access. The top modders would automatically get VIP status anyway, they deserve it!

That's my contribution!

• Replies 450
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

I've allowed ads and I still only get around 300 to 400kb, (sometimes 600kb), per second, when downloading directly, irrespective of time or day. It's even slower through the NMM. I've checked my speed and I have exactly what I pay for, from my high speed isp. So why is it so slow for me? Edited by Zaeren

Thanks for explaining all the issues in this blog and the previous one. As you say, it is easy to only see ones own point of view regarding ad-blockers.

So I have turned off ad-block for this site (and will do the same for other sites who take the trouble to explain themselves) and will purchase one of your membership options.

Keep up the good work!

Total Awesomeness! First off, and most immediately: I want a Nexus that has "a server network that would only go down if Skynet attacked" :-)

Past that, I've tried to find an answer to this before, and now it seems even more relevant: can you purchase memberships (from Supporter to Lifetime Member) for other users of the Nexus? If not, why not? If you just haven't implemented it, may I suggest: somewhere around the link for supporting a mod creator something that would present an option to purchase increased Nexus membership status for the author? I just want to see it be as easy as possible for the Nexus to get ready for Skynet's eventual assault. :-)

I'm on a VERY tight budget, but I plan to purchase a lifetime membership either later this month or next to show my appreciation of the Nexus sites and the community. Y'all have been good to me in the year or so I've been a member. and I want to help the best I can.

To be honest, I kind of think it'd be neat if you could endorse a mod through NMM. I'm lazy.

Also, I run adblockers primarily due to ads with sounds. I was actually UNAWARE that ads even existed on Nexus until the Google fiasco. Ah well, I went premium recently and it's a great experience on this website regardless.

Just purchased a premium membership as i was one of 'Those People' that was using a ad blocker on every site cos the ads get on my nerves but wanted to show my support for the sites. Skyrim would never look as good as it does now if not for these sites also i have been meaning to do it for a while just never got around to doing so!