Blog piece: Ads, Supporters, Endorsements and Bandwidth Throttling

Dark0ne

Well since the comment is Right on Endorsement systme , I have sugested that many times and got everytime ignored ... now glad that you Took again back in hands the ball and you are actively thinking of changing the system

About the incentive to increase the endorsement / download ration allowing also for a abstain button is a good Idea ...

but the main problem lies in the visibility : a lot of mods do not get endorsed even couse they are not known or seen ...

So cutting out all the past talks and redundant chat I will tell you directly straight that the best way to increase endorsement is "also" increase visibility to mods in a more fair way , and that way is :

Add a rotation system for the 6 mods presented on the main site ... to cycle throught categories .

So instead to have 6 mods of the week , you wouo dhave 36 mods , 6 showed per time that people may cycle with a simple button under the window or randomly changed when the page loads ...

add perhaps 6 - 7 categories that describe ttype of mods , and we will not see anymore skimpy armors , HD retextures or Reknowed authors only on the main page .... but also new and more interesting mods woudl now be able to surface and be noticed getting their chance to appear on the rotation window and get more endorsements ...

• Replies 450
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

Now this, this is how you run a website. I always disable Adblock on sites I like. Always seemed like the right thing to do. Some great changes coming and it'll be interesting to see how they play out.

@Zaeren How have you established your connection speed? Right clicking connection icon in your task bar does NOT show your internet connection speed but shows the connection between your router/modem and your PC. To find your actual internet connection speed you need to use a site like speedtest.net. For example my connection speed on my laptop is 144mb/s and 150mb/s on my desktop, however my actual internet connection speed is 20mb/s (which is actually perfectly fast).

Now my download speeds on NMM only reach 1024kb/s when I'm downloading multiple files. This is I presume, due to the speed of the servers and how many people are currently using them.

To compare to steam, even with my 20mb/s internet connection speed I only get a download rate of (absolute max) 3.1mb/s.

Hopefully this information helps you or indeed anyone else!

One thing I didn't see,or might have missed.Will the implements of throttling hurt premium members who block ads,if it sees they are using an adblocker,or is there a whitelist for them?I'm not premium,but I know sometimes there's bugs or small overlooks about things,cause of the massiveness of the work that is done.

Zaeren - it coujld be something else inbetween since it travels throguh lots of different nodes,or it coujld be what you use to download...IE,Chrome,Firefox,Opera,they calculate speeds differently.

Since I've made twenty-four mods that are hosted on Nexus, I felt that it was fair for me to use ad-blocker. I'm providing content, after all. But becoming a Supporter is so cheap that I'm gonna have to do that, too. :-)

@ Liara7LF and Belial666: yep speedtest.net is where I tested it, (5ms ping 35.12mbps download). And the slow speeds are for individual downloads. I don't dare try multiple downloads on Nexus. Everywhere else I multi-download all the time. Btw I use Firefox. I do set my security extremely high and use protect arp cache and do protocol analysis in Comodo, but it doesn't appear to slow me down anywhere else. I get several mb per second in my Steam client, for example so I don't know what the problem is.

I'm considering a premium subscription, but I must know that this issue will be dealt with first.

Edited by Zaeren

i like how you keep us informed, thanks. Really adds credibility and shows this is a reliable site. i really feel that because of your efforts the skyrim community will grow, and support this site and become a good backbone for you guys. i hope eventually even games will refer to you as there way of getting mods.