Where Does Vortex Store Plugin State & Load Order Info?

nt5raham
Go to solution Solved by Tannin42,

Background: I'm using Beyond Compare to sync my Skyrim SE game info between two PCs. I completed the initial setup on both computers and made sure everything was working correctly. After I make changes on one PC, I sync the game folder tree (Steam\steamapps\common\Skyrim Special Edition) and the Vortex tree (AppData\Roaming\Vortex). This seems to work perfectly, except that the plugins for newly installed mods are disabled after the sync, and the new plugins are not sorted. (Sorting takes 18 minutes since it sorts all 1,029 plugins whether Enabled or Disabled, so this is not a minimal issue.)

Question 1: Where does Vortex store plugin state (Enabled/Disabled) and load order info?

Question 2: Are there additional areas I should be syncing?

• Solution

Vortex doesn't have its own location to store plugin state, it synchronizes directly with the plugin.txt used by the game and the loadorder.txt which is a standard across multiple modding tools. These files can be found in C:\Users\<username>\AppData\Local\Skyrim Special Edition

If you want to sync settings as well you may also want to sync the ini files in "C:\Users\<username>\Documents\My Games\Skyrim Special Edition" (including the .ini.base and .ini.baked if you use vortex on both systems).

Now whether this works depends a lot on the sync software you're using, I've never used Beyond Compare to sync directories, but usually these kinds of software, unless they're *really* smart, will copy hard links as the actual files, meaning your approach is not correct.

If you intend to manage mods through Vortex only on one system and only want to allow the other system to play with that mod setup but not to edit it, what you're doing is fine but then you shouldn't be synching the Vortex appdata directory, that's just a waste of disk space.

However if you intend to use Vortex on both system, you shouldn't be synching the game directory because the modded files in the game directory are only links and synching will probably turn them into actual files, doubling the amount of disk space it uses, plus it will confuse Vortex.

You should just be synching the vortex appdata directory and the vortex staging folder and then after the sync you press "Deploy" inside Vortex on the target system and it will set up the links in the game directory accordingly.