Microsoft just bought ZeniMax Media

starfis

https://www.windowscentral.com/microsoft-buys-zenimax-media-bethesda-xbox-game-studios

What do you think is it going to mean for the future of Elder Scrolls and Fallout? I guess for us, PC users it is a lot better than if it was bought by SONY which was supposed to be also eyeing it.

3SuWnuK.gif?1

Edited by starfis

Not good. Bethsoft has been okay with mods, but MS/XBox isn't as much. Which might make our wonderful sandbox not so wonderful. Hard to imagine, say, Sim Settlements being made for an Xbox exclusive title.

I don't think MS is that stupid..... Leaving out the PC market would be akin to cutting their throats. What good is have the xbox version moddable, if there isn't anyone to make the mods? (the PC players.....)

Not good. Bethsoft has been okay with mods, but MS/XBox isn't as much. Which might make our wonderful sandbox not so wonderful. Hard to imagine, say, Sim Settlements being made for an Xbox exclusive title.

What are you talking about? MS is just as good with modding as Zenimax. They've been doing a lot of good for modding lately.

Keep in mind all, Microsoft also purchased Obisidian so it could go either way, bad or good. Microsoft, definitely has the deep pockets, they have the developers for it (both Obsidian and Bethesda) but are they going to keep the modding community open or try to capitalize on it?

If they use both Bethesda to make the landscape and Obsidian to write the story, that could be one good Fallout game. In other words, use each studio for their strengths. Bethesda's role play writing is horrible but Fallout 3 landscape rocked, and New Vegas was awesome for a true role playing wasteland. If Microsoft blows it for FO5 and etc, I rather want the Fallout assets to go to CD Projeckt Red since they know how to make video games especially in role playing.

I can't speak for Elder Scrolls, I never played Skyrim and played ESO for two hours and quit after being too bored.

Edited by KeltecRFB

Edit: Oh jeez, Xbox exclusives as well :wallbash: Without a doubt the next ES game will be.

Without a doubt? What? Todd has already said that's not going to happen. If you spend 7.5 billion on a company then immediately cut off over half the customer base of said company, then you are securing yourself a feature display in the Hall of Idiots in the Business History Museum. Microsoft has done a lot of work towards cross platform. There is absolutely not one shred of evidence to back up your "Without a doubt".

Edited by MurdochNZ

It's a good thing imo. After Skyrim I felt the philosophy of the company changed and they only cared about money more than ever: The Fallout 4 paid mod store, the never ending controversies with Fallout 76, the Bethesda launcher bloatware, etc.

Pretty much every Beth games were multiplatform anyway. The next games are probably going to be released on Xbox store, which already come with WinX.

I don't know why some say that MS have a problem with mods, you can mod Skyrim or FO4 on Xbox no? And like someone else mentioned, now MS own both Beth and Obsidian, there is a potential for something good I say... And they can finance pretty much any project they want.

Edited by Delta84