ZeniMax's New Online Engine

Moksha8088

Yes, it is the same for me.

I don't read any arcticles or watch any of those "clickbait" YouTube videos that claim to have infos on the next games / changes ...

Because I know how eaisly I get "triggerd" about this stuff ...

(Kind of hard if you love something and see it "going to s#*!" ...)

But there is enough for me to do with FO4 and Skyrim (and the older ES games) to keep me busy for the next few decades, so it's not like I am "actively waiting" ...

As I see it, I "win" no matter what:

If the next game is "good" and "moddable", I have a "shiny new toy to play with".

If not, I have more time to work on my FO4 / Skyrim stuff!

Yes, it is the same for me.

I don't read any arcticles or watch any of those "clickbait" YouTube videos that claim to have infos on the next games / changes ...

Because I know how eaisly I get "triggerd" about this stuff ...

(Kind of hard if you love something and see it "going to s***" ...)

But there is enough for me to do with FO4 and Skyrim (and the older ES games) to keep me busy for the next few decades, so it's not like I am "actively waiting" ...

As I see it, I "win" no matter what:

If the next game is "good" and "moddable", I have a "shiny new toy to play with".

If not, I have more time to work on my FO4 / Skyrim stuff!

And THAT is most certainly the correct attitude. :D

FYI: the success story of a single player game with requirement to go online and be logged in is Elite Dangerous. Period. Now go look how the annual income raised up in last few years of Frontier Developments: https://www.frontier.co.uk/investors/financial-information

The idea with online is not so bad, but almost all of us expect that Todd will keep releasing single player RPG games without online crap. It just don't needed, because of sales of Skyrim was pretty great. And Fo4 with its Creation Club gives some cash too.

But, keeping in mind the story with F76 we probably should expect its continue in the same form. And this is actually the bad news, IMHO. Any online mechanic limits single player game no matter how good you do coding (and Bethesda's coding is not perfect as we all aware).

As for modders, online mechanic breaks people in separate groups. All we know what's happen in Dark Souls series, when a modder do a great job. And don't forget about well-known cheaters of Dark Souls. Do we really need all these bad things in (preferably) single player games?

FO76 and ESO are both handled by zenimax online studios. A separate entity from bethesda game studios. So, while they share the same universe, they are two entirely separate games. No reason to think the single player games will have any sort of online component, aside from creation club.

• 2 weeks later...

Other than the pay to play, my concern is that they are going to forsake the PC community for the much more lucrative console players.

Yeah, they make bank off of us, but how much more do they make off of selling new and improved consoles to play the latest games?

Heck, what number XBox are we up to now, and what are the prices on the latest?

I think we will be left out until they milk the console community, and then as almost an afterthought they’ll release it to PC.

<snippity>

A pretty poorly written article:

"New and improved..." oxymoron

"Built with new engine.." and then "new engine optimisations" so which is it?
"ZeniMax Online's brand new IP is being built from the ground up..." How else do you create new IP?

Game development, in this case, is an investment. The return comes when the game is released. This particular model has been working great for decades, and I really don't see that changing any time soon. Besides, who is going to pay a subscription fee for a single player game?? :smile:

Therein lies the problem. This particular model didn't work so well for a number of studios who made some of the games we cherish as classics e.g. Looking Glass Studios, Black Isle Studios et al. Huge capital requirements up-front with an indeterminate return on game release (if it gets released at all). IIRC Bethesda would also be defunct if not for Zenimax.

It's only natural for companies to try to defray risk by looking to alternative revenue models.

<snippity>

A pretty poorly written article:

"New and improved..." oxymoron

"Built with new engine.." and then "new engine optimisations" so which is it?
"ZeniMax Online's brand new IP is being built from the ground up..." How else do you create new IP?

Game development, in this case, is an investment. The return comes when the game is released. This particular model has been working great for decades, and I really don't see that changing any time soon. Besides, who is going to pay a subscription fee for a single player game?? :smile:

Therein lies the problem. This particular model didn't work so well for a number of studios who made some of the games we cherish as classics e.g. Looking Glass Studios, Black Isle Studios et al. Huge capital requirements up-front with an indeterminate return on game release (if it gets released at all). IIRC Bethesda would also be defunct if not for Zenimax.

It's only natural for companies to try to defray risk by looking to alternative revenue models.

Sure, many stuidos have promised all sorts of stuff, not delivered..... and gone the way of the dodo. Zenimax was a holding company put together by folks that already owned Bethesda softworks, as a way to secure funding. Morrowind is what saved beths behind. They released a game that enough people thought was good, that they actually bought it. The construction set shipped WITH the game. Folks are still modding morrowind today, almost 20 years after its release. People still BUY the game today......

The game development/release/sale/profit model has been working perfectly for beth since some time in the 90's. Zero reason to think that will change now.

Sure, many stuidos have promised all sorts of stuff, not delivered..... and gone the way of the dodo.

The point I was making was that many companies have produced games that have been critical and commercial successes, some even creating or redefining genres and yet have still folded due to financial issues. Some of that will be symptomatic of the configuration of the funding/revenue model and to a greater or lesser degree for each.

Zenimax was a holding company put together by folks that already owned Bethesda softworks, as a way to secure funding. Morrowind is what saved beths behind.

Correct, but you're only proving my point. Daggerfall was a critical and commercial success but not enough to keep the company afloat let alone bankroll the studio's next game.

Edited by gnarly1