Do I need to download LOOT to identify dirty files?

GabrielWithoutWings
Go to solution Solved by HadToRegister,

Hi all,

I've only been modding Bethesda games for a couple of weeks and have spent more time watching YouTube tutorials than actually modding. I tried MO2 and saw Gopher's video series on Vortex, so I thought I'd give that a try.

I know that Vortex uses LOOT's lists for load order sorting. But, do I need LOOT to identify any mods that have dirty edits that need to be cleaned with SSEEdit? I know that Update and the DLCs typically need to be cleaned, but what if I download a mod that's dirty and don't have LOOT installed? How do I know it's dirty? (Apart from reading the mod installation directions, obviously).

Thanks for the help.

Don't clean Update or the DLCs. This used to be the 'accepted' wisdom in the community but there's now evidence that it isn't necessarily a good idea. But for any user-created mods, yes clean them if LOOT Vortex prompts you to.

LOOT is effectively built in to Vortex so you don't need to download it.

Edited by gnarly1

Don't clean Update or the DLCs. This used to be the 'accepted' wisdom in the community but there's now evidence that it isn't necessarily a good idea. But for any user-created mods, yes clean them if LOOT prompts you to.

LOOT is effectively built in to Vortex so you don't need to download it.

How do I run LOOT within the program then? I don't see it on the Tools subsection.

Guest deleted34304850

AUTOSORT is the parameter you're after. If that is YES then LOOT will be used internally by Vortex to sort out your plugins based on LOOT metadata.

• Solution

Vortex has it's own icons to show you if a mod needs cleaning, you can then right click on the plugin and select OPEN or CLEAN with Xedit.

The File Box means the esp loads an archive
The Spray bottle icon means the esp needs cleaning
The filled in Feather means it's a LIGHT plugin (Esl, or ESPfe)
The EMPTY Feather means that you can have Vortex convert the esp to a LIGHT Plugin (ESPfe)
the Dialogue Balloon just means there's a LOOT message about the ESP

If you right click on an esp in vortex you will get a small menu where you can LOAD or CLEAN with Xedit.

LOOT-ICONS.jpg