Bethesda is Evil

AndalTheManhunter

Incompetent? Perhaps.

Inept? Most certainly.

But, I think "Greedy" is the biggest problem. Remains to be seen if BetheSoft is any better.

'Incompetent' and 'inept' are synonyms. I can stomach a bit of greed if I also get competence, or even better: accomplished.

Incompetent implies they don't know what they are doing. Inept implies they simply screwed it up, for whatever reason. Beth CAN do awesome games, but, for some reason, they appear to CHOOSE not to...... Seems really counter-productive to me......

Beth CAN do awesome games

Can they though? Name one stable, well executed, well paced, well WRITTEN game that Bethesda Game Studios has ever made.

I think Incompetent is the appropriate term. They have vision, but they seem to lack the technical skill to realise that vision.

Incompetent implies they don't know what they are doing. Inept implies they simply screwed it up, for whatever reason. Beth CAN do awesome games, but, for some reason, they appear to CHOOSE not to...... Seems really counter-productive to me......

Inept can also easily imply that they don't know what they're doing. You're making a distinction with no real difference.

Can they though? Name one stable, well executed, well paced, well WRITTEN game that Bethesda Game Studios has ever made.

I think Incompetent is the appropriate term. They have vision, but they seem to lack the technical skill to realise that vision.

Morrowind fits all those criteria, more or less. I really enjoyed the writing in Morrowind but the writing in the two later games was generally dull.

Morrowind fits all those criteria, more or less. I really enjoyed the writing in Morrowind but the writing in the two later games was generally dull.

Agreed. I too like the writing in Morrowind, but disagree about the writing in the later games to be dull. Sure, it could be better but dull. No.

I never took Bethesda seriously as a game dev, after I bought both X-Car, and Skynet by them, and my Sister gave me Daggerfall.

I installed all three, Skynet has an infamous 'bug' where you can play all the way to the last level, and you can't enter the final building to finish the game, forcing you start the game over.
I drive up to the building, exit my vehicle, and sure enough, there's the 'can't enter the building bug'

X-car was a racing game, but the physics were so terrible it was like driving a car made of teflon and butter, on a racetrack made of ice.

I played Daggerfall, made my first character, went into the first dungeon a saw, climbed down the ladder, and realized I probably shouldn't be in there, so I climbed back up the ladder and somehow went through the dungeon wall and fell into the void.

I quit the game, and uninstalled it, just like I did with X-car, and Skynet.

I consider them a bunch of amateurs at best, who WANT to be game devs, but aren't 'there' yet.
Let's face it, in their FINAL patch for Skyrim they introduced the Lip SYnc bug and never fixed it.
One patch made Dragons fly backwards, etc, I actually HATE when Bethesda patch their games, because the tend to make them worse.

Just to add.

Morrowind however, actually scared me.
The atmosphere was foreboding and alien, the way you were treated by the NPCs like you weren't some savior, and just called "Outlander" a lot.
The creepy Dwemer and Daedra ruins, the Ancestral tombs all gave the feeling of some unknown alien culture.
(While playing I always felt like "Why doesn't anybody like me?")

The different stages of "The Ascended", from the sunken in faces to the full blown mini Cthulhu's walking around

THAT game had a great atmosphere about it.

Just to add.

Morrowind however, actually scared me.

The atmosphere was foreboding and alien, the way you were treated by the NPCs like you weren't some savior, and just called "Outlander" a lot.

The creepy Dwemer and Daedra ruins, the Ancestral tombs all gave the feeling of some unknown alien culture.

(While playing I always felt like "Why doesn't anybody like me?")

The different stages of "The Ascended", from the sunken in faces to the full blown mini Cthulhu's walking around

THAT game had a great atmosphere about it.

Agreed. I felt like an interloper; a barely tolerated outsider trying to get by and comprehend an alien world. To me, Morrowind genuinely felt like a labour of love, albeit a quirky one.

It will be interesting to see how the MS/Beth combination works out. Money just became a LOT less of an issue..... they will certainly have the resources they need to put out a good game. Whether they will or not, remains to be seen. If they follow their latest trend of 'dumbing down' the games to 'appeal to a wider audience' though, I am not going to be a happy camper. Morrowind was a great RPG, granted, it had some interesting bugs, but, most of those were solved by the modding community. It says a lot that folks are STILL modding morrowind...... With Oblivion, they went WAY overboard with the level scaling..... and the game just wasn't fun. Leveling up was actually counter-productive. I played for maybe an hour, then set it aside for a couple years, until I found FCOM. THAT made the game FAR more interesting. Skyrim was better, as far as level scaling, but, too many of the RPG elements were removed, and it became an action/adventure game with "some rpg elements"...... They did the same to Fallout 4..... (though I still enjoy playing FO4..... with mods..... :) )

Skyrim though, In my latest playthrough, I am around level 70, and got to Solstheim, and discovered I can play for about 5 minutes, then the game locks up, and I have to restart my computer, as I can't get task manager to show up, so I can kill skyrim. (even if I leave it open in the background, I can't alt-tab to it.....) I have tried every fix I found online..... (resetting ugrids back to 5, nuking every instance of the MG07 quest scripts, turning off autosaves, etc.) and no soap. Even around Fort Frostmoth, it will freeze solid, and I am done. Really wish I could solve that one....... Didn't have those issues on the mainland.... ran great.

The entire series.

Edit: HeyYou - you can set it up where The Task Manager Window always is on top of other windows.

Edited by Rasikko

The entire series.

Edit: HeyYou - you can set it up where The Task Manager Window always is on top of other windows.

Yeah, but, that keeps it on top, even when the game is working properly......

Might interesting to see what all is going on when the game chokes though..... May have to try that. :)