Game mods have ruined Vanilla games

NCRForever

I am not posting this in order to bash mods or modders. In fact, I am not posting it to bash anything. These are just my thoughts. In general, mods are the best thing to have happened to gaming. However, it has also killed the experience of a Vanilla game in all aspects. At least for me it has.

I have been running mods since Morrowind. I enjoyed MW without mods when I first got it. But then a friend of mine told me that some people had started making mods for it. I was intrigued to say the least. I grabbed my first mods: "Never Say Nerevar" and "Balmora Expanded" (which became Balmora Expansion later I think) and never looked back.

When I bought Obliivion, Fallout 3, New Vegas and Skyrim, I never once ran them Vanilla. Still haven't. Why? Simple. Modders are always releasing something good for these games and other games that I don't even play. So why run a Vanilla game, when there are mods?

So, anyone else feel this way? Or do you play the games Vanilla first then add mods for new run-throughs?

I am not posting this in order to bash mods or modders. In fact, I am not posting it to bash anything. These are just my thoughts. In general, mods are the best thing to have happened to gaming. However, it has also killed the experience of a Vanilla game in all aspects. At least for me it has.

I have been running mods since Morrowind. I enjoyed MW without mods when I first got it. But then a friend of mine told me that some people had started making mods for it. I was intrigued to say the least. I grabbed my first mods: "Never Say Nerevar" and "Balmora Expanded" (which became Balmora Expansion later I think) and never looked back.

When I bought Obliivion, Fallout 3, New Vegas and Skyrim, I never once ran them Vanilla. Still haven't. Why? Simple. Modders are always releasing something good for these games and other games that I don't even play. So why run a Vanilla game, when there are mods?

So, anyone else feel this way? Or do you play the games Vanilla first then add mods for new run-throughs?

I always do my first run through Vanilla, then add mods. I have about 103 mods on Skyrim at the moment, including Graphics enhancers and textures. I just like to play vanilla first otherwise you don't really know what mods you want to use, if any. Mods extend the time you want to play the game IMO :)

yea i play unmodded first. or try to anyways. FONV for example, i tried, and found i needed a few mods to make it any fun, such as perking every level. (instead of the defaul every 3 levels)

I always do one play through without mods, with one exception, Skyrim, I found that so dull that I went to town modding the hell out of it before I even got halfway through the main quest.

@hoofhearted4 It's every two levels. :p

I typically try to run it vanilla first....I actually first play Oblivion on the Xbox...ugh

It is hard to do it with all these pretty shiny mods around though...but I can't say its "ruined" it....its a personal choice..or a mater of willpower :P

I at least try to find some performance mods, graphics enhancers, weather mods, and a few other solely to boost immersion without ruining anything, I also make sure first thing I look for is the Unofficial Patch mods for any games that use them.

Mods that add dramatic armours, weapons, monsters, dungeons, quests etc. should definately be saved for a second playthrough.