Link to Console mod, FO4 vs SKYRIM

Deleted92948618User

It's something that was added exclusively to Fallout 4. On Skyrim SE pages you can still use the "Mirrors" section to link to Bethesda.net :smile:

Apologies, but I do not understand your answer. Are you trying to gently tell me that it is not possible to add this capability to SSE? If so, please don't. I am old enough that a simple "No" is appreciated, as it saves the time and miscommunication when trying to intuit an answer.

Edited by Guest

I've wondered the same thing myself actually. FO4 got the specific ability to add that information because of rampant mod piracy and it was seen as a way to show consent by the mod author. SSE had the same problem, only much worse, and for some reason never got the same setting.

Fast forward to now and it's not clear why the setting never got added, but if the answer is to just use the mirrors, why wouldn't that also apply to FO4 so the unnecessary extra data can be removed?

It's something that was added exclusively to Fallout 4. On Skyrim SE pages you can still use the "Mirrors" section to link to Bethesda.net :smile:

Well it was exclusive until SSE came out in September 2016 I think it was, but I agree with Arthmoor it doesn't make sense to have that for one game and not both as both games have mods hosted on Bethesda.net.

Besides, still having like that only confuses people and I am quite sure that Bethesda will some day in the future release other games that has mods hosted on Bethesda.net. So, why not use mirror for both games.

Maybe they will release Fallout 5 in let say 3-5 years from now and we all are waiting for TES 6 in the next 1-3 years.

Well it was exclusive until SSE came out in September 2016 I think it was, but I agree with Arthmoor it doesn't make sense to have that for one game and not both as both games have mods hosted on Bethesda.net.

Besides, still having like that only confuses people and I am quite sure that Bethesda will some day in the future release other games that has mods hosted on Bethesda.net. So, why not use mirror for both games.

Maybe they will release Fallout 5 in let say 3-5 years from now and we all are waiting for TES 6 in the next 1-3 years.

That's kind of the reason why I don't like the implementation of this at all.

It's a hack specific to a handful of games. In this case, yes, it's the two most popular games on the site. I'd say that mirrors/permission make that whole section unnecessary but it was added in response to the initial wave of mod piracy when Bethesda.net opened. As far as I know (and from speaking to one of Bethesda's CMs) the problem isn't anywhere near the scale it was before. If there are still pirated mods over there, they do need to be reported to Bethesda through the Bethesda.net site - I know that as long as they have valid reports they will remove your content.

If this becomes a trend I'd be in favour of a site-wide update to permissions rather than tacking something else on. A combination of the "upload to other sites" and "convert to other games" permission do generally cover posting on Bethesda.net, but I appreciate this isn't abundantly clear when referring to consoles.

Personally I think the mirrors section is good enough at this point since only the mod author or a person they authorize to manage the file can change that data anyway. If they point one to a Bethesda.net download it's probably safe to assume it's legit.

So I guess I'd say get rid of the special fields. Nobody will miss them.

And yes, the piracy issue has been under control over there for a good long time now.

Personally I think the mirrors section is good enough at this point since only the mod author or a person they authorize to manage the file can change that data anyway. If they point one to a Bethesda.net download it's probably safe to assume it's legit.

And yes, the piracy issue has been under control over there for a good long time now.

Should any case of pirated mods appear on Bethesda.net in the future, I am quite sure that the staff there will remove such a mod(s) and people will also alert the staff here too.

Should any case of pirated mods appear on Bethesda.net in the future, I am quite sure that the staff there will remove such a mod(s) and people will also alert the staff here too.

The users will also bully legit mod uploaders into removing a mod because they think the mod is pirated.