Help to mod Oblivion

PraisedEuanB21

I have been looking for years at mods I like for oblivion and have a large collection bookmarked on nexus but lack the technical skills to implement them. It's ok for simple ones with just an esp to be activated but for ones with textures or any complex load orders I just fail. If anyone who is experienced with modding oblivion would be able to lead me through installing the mods I want; either by talking me through it while watching my screenshare or by sending me a video of how to do it for those specific mods and help with any troubleshooting I'll pay them via paypal. I just want a gatehouse on the imperial city damn it hahaha

Edited by PraisedEuanB21

Don't use a download manager, manually download and read the instructions.

Use LOOT to sort your load order.

Check if the mods are clean using TES4Edit https://cs.elderscrolls.com/index.php?title=TES4Edit_Cleaning_Guide, use it to fix the editor ID's that don't start by a letter by the way.

Install 1 mod, check if everything goes well etc.

And you should be fine.

Edited by Oblivionaddicted

You could use a mod manager like Wrye Bash or OBMM when you install them instead of doing it manually and some mods are impossible to install without OBMM if they are bain or omods and the description will say how you install them. I do use both those managers, as if I install something I regret, they hust require a single click to uninstall them as they do remember where all files are installed by looking in the install package for Wrye Bash and I bet OBMM works similar. They are very handy

I seen many have problems with Better Cities, so avoid it if possible, otherwise there are so many nice mods and some are extremely well done a sit is only our own imagination that will stop us from making them... :D

You do need to install some fixes and stuff as well anyway, so just start installing them.

Edited by Pellape

I've tried a few times before and can get simple mods where you paste the esp and then activate it. I have tried OBMM and wrye bash following youtube tutorials but can't seem to get either to work properly. It seems to be when meshes and textures are involved that these apps don't work for me and also I can't understand what to do with them manually.

With my job I don't have much spare time so I'd much rather spend the time I'd use learning how to mod actually playing a game and just pay someone to directly show me how to install the mods I want first time :confused:

You could use a mod manager like Wrye Bash or OBMM when you install them instead of doing it manually and some mods are impossible to install without OBMM if they are bain or omods and the description will say how you install them. I do use both those managers, as if I install something I regret, they hust require a single click to uninstall them as they do remember where all files are installed by looking in the install package for Wrye Bash and I bet OBMM works similar. They are very handy

You're wrong about OBMM, instead not using Wrye Bash makes some mods impossible to work properly.

Only Wrye Bash can handle filtered mods e.g mods that must be handled by the bashed patch and Cobl, Weather - All Natural, all major overhauls (FCOM, MMM, OOO) requires the bashed patch in Wrye Bash.

@OP: There is a Wrye Bash Pictorial Guide. :)

I did an experiment and converted a bunch of Oblivion Mods to work with Vortex, I'm currently running a 141 mod set up with Oblivion.
It was a real pain in the ass though, as it took opening up the mods in WryeBash, and checking the options I want to install, and making a new archive out of those selected files and folders., and the Manual install ones with a lot of install options were problematics as well.

As far as Omods you can use OBMM to make an ARCHIVE of the OMOD, so you end up with a nice ZIP of the Mod, useable in other mod managers (possibly with some tweaking) I've done it, as explained in the article

So tell me how to install a omod with Wrye Bash leonardo2 and I will flush OBMM in the proper place for flushing forever :D I have tried, but I have failed with some mods that do gets proper installed with OBMM.

After the omod is installed with OBMM, I close it down and I go and run LOOT to get everything in a proper order and also to see if there is any mods that needs to be cleaned and a majority of them are dirty mostly, so I pass them through Tes4Edit Quickclean and then I go to Wrye Bash and do everything else that needs to be done, like repatching.

@PraisedEuanB21 it is not so you have moved your Oblivion folder else where than where you originally installed it? As then your registry keys will not point at the right place. Well the keys ends up in the wrong place as well in Win 10 compared to other versions of windows.

Edited by Pellape

Or do you DL your mods to the directory next to Oblivion? Lets say you have Oblivion at:

"E:\Games\Oblivion"
Than when you install Wrye Bash, it will create a directory at

"E:\Games\Oblivion Mods\Bash Installers"
and there you DL your packed mods and Wrye Bash will find them as it is there it looks for them. Edited by Pellape

So tell me how to install a omod with Wrye Bash leonardo2 and I will flush OBMM in the proper place for flushing forever :D I have tried, but I have failed with some mods that do gets proper installed with OBMM.

After the omod is installed with OBMM, I close it down and I go and run LOOT to get everything in a proper order and also to see if there is any mods that needs to be cleaned and a majority of them are dirty mostly, so I pass them through Tes4Edit Quickclean and then I go to Wrye Bash and do everything else that needs to be done, like repatching.

@PraisedEuanB21 it is not so you have moved your Oblivion folder else where than where you originally installed it? As then your registry keys will not point at the right place. Well the keys ends up in the wrong place as well in Win 10 compared to other versions of windows.

It is my understanding (from reading the Wrye Bash Readme.html files) that WB will install OMODs ... providing they are just simple installs, not requiring an omod install script to select options.

After getting my feet wet installing mods (yes, I too required Oblivion Mod Manager to get my first mod installed and working) I moved away from using OBMM except to extract mods that were only available as OMOD downloads (I would then use the omod install script as a guide to create my own custom manual install).

To each his/her own, but I for one wouldn't know nearly as much about installing mods had I not dedicated myself to manual installing. I think even HadTo would admit that it was lessons learned while manuall installing back in the day that allowed the transition to Vortex in Oblivion.

I have installed such mods manually myself and it is specially those mods with the install scripts with select options I am referring to. :wink: Some are made to work perfect with WB but some do not.

Before windows came out, this is how we installed software 1987 on Atari, manually only without installation programs... ;) We even thought installation programs where only meant for others than our selves and when I saw my first one, I thought it was stupid. Why would anyone ever need a installation program for?? We did not even had any for our different OS's

Edited by Pellape