200 years and STILL no carpenters

aurreth

Ok, I get the whole post-apocalypse milieu, but still after 200 years no one, including the player, can build anything where the boards actually fit together and there are no holes in the roof.

Rant over. I've been spending time looking for "clean" building mods, ones that let me build actual structures, not rusting shacks that would fall over in a decent breeze. Recommendations for your favorite "clean" mods?

There is a "clean" warehouse set available, and I think Homemaker has some pre-war buildings available as well. :)

And I agree with you. It seems that no one in the commonwealth has the faintest idea how to properly build ANYTHING....... and they also need to be told what to do.... where to sleep, etc..... Seem post-war americans are idiots. :D

Snappy Housekit.

Snappy HouseKit at Fallout 4 Nexus - Mods and community

Some truly old school skills seem to have been lost as well. Sweeping, for instance.

Also, why does nobody know how to knit? Or make clay stuff, like pots or bricks? Or weave baskets?

Didn't a single ghoul with skills survive who can tell people how to do this kind of stuff?

Using Snappy and a few others, but I still find gaps that are annoying. Especially in "metal". I did manage to find some metal roofs that don't look like mutant moths were chewing holes in them, but the pieces are all flat (parallel to the floor) so creativity is somewhat limited.

And think about it: in 200 years we went from flintlocks to nukes, candles to lightbulbs, wood burning stoves to nuclear reactors. All without the benefit of knowing that any of it was possible in the first place. I can only guess that the Enclave or Institute has veritable hordes of agents out there whose sole job is to kill off anyone with a bright idea, or needle and thread. There ya go, that's what synths are really for, getting rid of grandma and her super secret knitting techniques!

Oh, add "guard mats with arrows" to my wish list, I always end up with my guards facing the wrong direction.

And think about it: in 200 years we went from flintlocks to nukes, candles to lightbulbs, wood burning stoves to nuclear reactors. All without the benefit of knowing that any of it was possible in the first place. I can only guess that the Enclave or Institute has veritable hordes of agents out there whose sole job is to kill off anyone with a bright idea, or needle and thread. There ya go, that's what synths are really for, getting rid of grandma and her super secret knitting techniques!

And yet when you come along, suddenly with the kind of workbench that just seems to be laying around all over the Commonwealth, and despite your origin story from the game's intro, you're able to take a handful of pencils and an old hat and make a couch. Or take an old camera and some scrap metal and make a laser rifle. Or...

Apparently once you thawed back out you became MacGyver on steroids. Maybe it's like Demolition Man, and while you were frozen odd crafting skills were piped into your skull.

• 3 weeks later...

There's always Snap&Build for clean buildings, and there are mods for baskets, (just browse 'baskets') as well as one that allows cley pots to be made that are actual containers.

Snap&Build https://www.nexusmods.com/fallout4/mods/28834

Craftable Pot https://www.nexusmods.com/fallout4/mods/39114 (works even better if you have Place Anywhere to change the sizes)