gun control - what are we waiting for ?

xrayy

Now, you are making a different argument in order to try and justify gun ownership. And to be clear, as I have stated before, I don't deny that IN AMERICA, private gun ownership is virtually a necessity, and banning guns would do nothing except make people easier and "softer" targets for criminals. On that point I can agree wholeheartedly.

But do NOT try and justify gun ownership on that basis alone. That is a lie or misrepresentation, and has lead to the disgusting state that America is in today. The only way to "fix" the problem, would be a generations long struggle to change the "culture" of America in a very profound way, and sadly, I don't see that happening any time soon, particularly with the "flavour" arguments I've seen voiced here and in other places.

• Replies 183
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

Now, you are making a different argument in order to try and justify gun ownership. And to be clear, as I have stated before, I don't deny that IN AMERICA, private gun ownership is virtually a necessity, and banning guns would do nothing except make people easier and "softer" targets for criminals. On that point I can agree wholeheartedly.

But do NOT try and justify gun ownership on that basis alone. That is a lie or misrepresentation, and has lead to the disgusting state that America is in today. The only way to "fix" the problem, would be a generations long struggle to change the "culture" of America in a very profound way, and sadly, I don't see that happening any time soon, particularly with the "flavour" arguments I've seen voiced here and in other places.

Self Defense is the only reason you need to 'justify' gun ownership. There are numerous other reasons as well.

Take Chuck Norris Korean Style Martial Arts Classes.

He was trained in the country Bruce Lee originally was from.

You will never need a gun ever again.

But that doesn't mean he doesn't have any.

A sign over the gates at his family residencies says.

We don't call 911!

You can be an Nth degree black belt, and some 98 pound anemic weakling can still pull his glock and kill you before you even get close enough to hit him.

Don't bring a knife to a gun fight.

We don't call 911!

You can be an Nth degree black belt, and some 98 pound anemic weakling can still pull his glock and kill you before you even get close enough to hit him.

What?! You don't believe Remo Williams, who North Korean's mythical (Oops! I mean :sweat:) Grandmaster Assassin Chiun trained to be an assassin, can really dodge bullets.

Grandmaster Assassin is better! Right?!

We don't call 911!

What?! You don't believe Remo Williams, who North Korean's mythical (Oops! I mean :sweat:) Grandmaster Assassin Chiun trained to be an assassin, can really dodge bullets.

Grandmaster Assassin is better! Right?!

The Adventure BEGINS! :)

Guess the movie didn't do well enough to rate a sequel.

"I heard your tendons creak as you pulled the trigger." :D

here are most important facts you should know. it is not worth to debate about that because this is already given. the question is how long we wait with defending stupid repeated proven non-arguments before we begin to defend and to cover innocent life until no common civilian needs a weapon anymore like in most civilized countries.

why do so many amercans still think they need a weapon while many other civilized countries already have proven the opposite and the facts with 10x lower deathrates over decades ? statistically there is no valid argument for supporting lobbyists or u.s. civilian weapon loving hardliners. they just always ride their already proven non-arguments like in this debate.

ignoring the facts and just repeating them does not help this debate and anyone who dies in the next shooting (with or without wearing a weapon). the question is how to reduce or to minimize this problem and not to find stupid or proven wrong arguments to defend the proven reason for all the shootings: far too many weapons in wrong hands! you will not change anything by repeating stupidly your "but i have the right to defend my home with an ak47"

here are most important facts you should know. it is not worth to debate about that because this is already given. the question is how long we wait with defending stupid repeated proven non-arguments before we begin to defend and to cover innocent life until no common civilian needs a weapon anymore like in most civilized countries.

why do so many amercans still think they need a weapon while many other civilized countries already have proven the opposite and the facts with 10x lower deathrates over decades ? statistically there is no valid argument for supporting lobbyists or u.s. civilian weapon loving hardliners. they just always ride their already proven non-arguments like in this debate.

ignoring the facts and just repeating them does not help this debate and anyone who dies in the next shooting (with or without wearing a weapon). the question is how to reduce or to minimize this problem and not to find stupid or proven wrong arguments to defend the proven reason for all the shootings: far too many weapons in wrong hands! you will not change anything by repeating stupidly your "but i have the right to defend my home with an ak47"

Didn't read the article I posted, did you? It seems that the 'average' mass shooter has owned his weapon for right around 8 and a half years...... Less than 8% of shooters bought their weapon within 3 months of committing their crime. What this means is: An 'assault weapons' ban won't make any difference whatsoever, for about a 100 years or so.

You also must have missed my post stating that removing 5 democrat run cities from the statistics, has the effect of showing that the US would be right in line with most other 'civilized countries' when it comes to death rates related to crime.

The chart you posted by Everytown for gun safety PURPOSELY skews the statistics on mass shootings as well. They included incidents in high-crime areas. (essentially, gang activity.) In reality, right around 85% of mass shootings happen in gun free zones. (which was also pointed out in the article I posted.)

Another little tidbit you conveniently ignore is, the use of firearms to PREVENT crime. Something to the tune of 2.5 MILLION times per year. (read here.)

The "assault weapons" ban back in the 80-90's had ZERO effect on crime.......

Face it, banning firearms won't make any difference in crime rates at all. It simply isn't possible to remove all firearms in the US. Any attempt to do so by our government would instantly result in civil war. And I doubt that the US military would be interested in helping the government accomplish that in any event. (their oath is to defend the CONSTITUTION, not the current administration.) It is also unconstitutional (read that: Illegal) for the army to be used in such a manner. A lot would need to change before that was even a possibility, and the population would see that coming far in advance, and take steps to make sure it did not happen.

I am a firm believer in Peace thru superior firepower. :D

Edited by HeyYou