gun control - what are we waiting for ?

xrayy

Look at this s#*!

https://worldpopulationreview.com/country-rankings/mass-shootings-by-country

"For a highly developed and wealthy nation, the United States has an unusually high rate of mass shootings. However, it is a common misconception that it is the worst country globally in terms of mass shooting rates. The truth of the matter is that the United States is number sixty-six on the list of countries in terms of mass shooting rates per capita, but they have had more mass shootings than any other country in terms of overall numbers.

That finding rings true when all countries around the world are taken into consideration. Looking at the United States alongside all the countries in Europe alone, the United States has the twelfth highest mass shooting rate. A few European countries with a higher mass shooting rate per capita than the United States include Russia, Norway, France, Switzerland, and Finland."

• Replies 183
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

Just thought I would drop back in and share this. It is NOT from America's "liberal media", Reuters is in England. Consider this how America looks to the rest of the world.

https://graphics.reuters.com/USA-GUNS/MASS-SHOOTING/nmovardgrpa/

An NRA success story, year on year.

Does Reuters have a better track record then NBC, CNN, FOX, and other American news? I would say so. However to assume that just because a news media organization is from another country, it is somehow above the media problem would be folly. All legacy media (or which ever word illustrates best to you, the existing media companies and systems prior to the rise of independent media and the internet) has been on the downward spiral, with journalistic integrity becoming rarer and pushing certain political views as Truth, when it clearly isn't or is easily refuted by someone with a video camera. Perception is reality, and if all of your perception comes from media, legacy or even independent, your view will be warped. Ultimately you have to look at all information available, do some of your own investigation, and arrive at your own conclusion. Which is what most of us, in opposition to the original poster, have done.

As for crossing semantics because HeyYou didn't quote Einstein exactly …. you are aware of quotes being paraphrased or quotes that even have their meaning corrupted to another over time? A prime example: "Blood is thicker then water" a good quote, and many people use it, however the original full quote was " The blood of the covenant is thicker then the water of the womb" which is also still used, but it has a different meaning compared to the corrupted version. However at this point both are in the public sphere of use.

it is! thank you for posting this even if this is a waste of time in this debate dealing with 90 % of a crude audience here. they do not care for the death of innocent americans and they do not care how the rest of the world feel or think about that and they completely ignore the collective side interpretation of the second amendment. they even pretend with their tunnel view to be the american majority - the question is: of what ?

Is most of the audience crude? or did you not fully prepare yourself when you originally posted the debate topic? It was prime bait, and congratulations you had many bites, however the debate got hung up on the typical issues. We scratched the culture question, but we barely scratched morality, mental illness, or broken systems.

Making bold claims that pro-gun people don't care for innocent deaths....we do, and many of us are pro-life as well.

As for being the majority of America.... I can't quite claim that. I can claim with confidence that we speak for half of the American people, primarily those in the rural areas, and small towns. People who think America is basically a list of 20 cities (more accurate to say metro areas, ex. Fort Worth/ Dallas metro) and empty wastelands between them forget about us country folk.

As for the rest of the world and their opinions and feelings? I honestly can't be bothered with it, until us Americans fix America. As my grandfather said many times "Only the Strong can help the weak". To accomplish anything one must be fit to do so. Right now America needs repairs, and it requires its citizens to fix her. Non citizens don't get a vote. By all means express yourself, however nothing you have mentioned will fix anything. The discussion got hung up on the symptoms, rather then a cure.

That's definitely alot of bodies but why do you think gun control would stop that? There's no gun rights in europe and still there has been several shooters aswell

Nope, they will just switch to something else. Cars, knives, Grenades (serious was shocked on this from Sweden) not pipe bombs but military grade grenades, fist and feet, and other tools. I would rather get shot in the torso than get stabbed in the torso, as the knife can cause a far more complex wound leading to bleeding out, and can be done very silently compare to a gunshot.

Lets see, the article that Croc link talks about the Colorado incident, the Indianapolis incident but doesn't mention that the FBI was well aware of this individuals and did nothing to stop it. For Colorado his family even informed the FBI and Local Police that he was likely to commit a shooting, they didn't even bother to check on it. The 19 year old at the FedEx facility was actually red flag last year and had his shotgun taken away by law enforcement as family reported his thoughts of suicide and it wasn't returned. He was even documented as having mental issue which should have kept him for legally purchasing any firearm as it would have shown in his background check. Again someone failed to due their job in the FBI's NICS department (Back Ground check). Noticing a trend here? Mental illness, and Law Enforcement not enforcing what laws there are. They are seemingly as useful as British law enforcement someone makes a "mean" tweet, send 10 officers to arrest the person in their home; British Law Enforcement gets a report about a gang of individuals sexually assaulting a minor, "Well it is the minor's fault for taking part in it" (Rough quote). Much like the the jokes going on about the FBI sending 30 agents to investigate a hate crime that ending up being a hoax. But hey lets not deal with the real issue known as mental health lets keep pushing the same BS that didn't work before and expect it to work now. (Isn't there a meme about that?)

Thank You for that breath of fresh air. :smile:

The liberals yell and scream about GUN CONTROL!!!! But, so far, NOTHING they have proposed would make any difference whatsoever. All you have to do is look back in history, and you can see that everything they are talking about now, they have tried in the past, and it did not make one bit of difference. But, the liberals still think it will work "THIS TIME!".....

Actually, it was Albert Einstein that said: "Doing the same thing over and over again, expecting different results, is the very definition of insanity."

Once again, you are inaccurate with your quotes. https://quoteinvestigator.com/2017/03/23/same/#:~:text=Insanity%20is%20doing%20the%20same%20thing%20over%20and,repeating%20the%20same%20mistakes%20and%20expecting%20different%20results.

That's all you got from that? Seriously?

Yup, that was my take away. Seriously. More evidence you really have no idea what you are talking about. More proof fact checking is far beyond anything you attempt. An example your arguments are not necessarily based on facts.

Aren't you glad you pinged me?

Oh Rah! :D

No, it isn't an *exact* quote, but, the gist of it is there.

My arguments are based in reality, the libs arguments are based on feelings, and appearances. Neither of which bear much resemblance to reality.

The misquote isn't even the largest issue. You attributed the "quote" to Albert Einstein, and that is simply not true. By attributing the "quote" incorrectly, when it is easily verifiable, you demonstrate you don't bother to check your facts before using them as arguments. And I said that above.

Your arguments are not based in any reality but the one you create. And you provided the evidence. A single misquote, improperly attributed, isn't a very big thing in isolation. But it is part of a larger pattern I have addressed with you before. You argue with half truths and misinformation.

Now, I have said my piece. I am done with you.

That's definitely alot of bodies but why do you think gun control would stop that? There's no gun rights in europe and still there has been several shooters aswell

Nope, they will just switch to something else. Cars, knives, Grenades (serious was shocked on this from Sweden) not pipe bombs but military grade grenades, fist and feet, and other tools. I would rather get shot in the torso than get stabbed in the torso, as the knife can cause a far more complex wound leading to bleeding out, and can be done very silently compare to a gunshot.

Lets see, the article that Croc link talks about the Colorado incident, the Indianapolis incident but doesn't mention that the FBI was well aware of this individuals and did nothing to stop it. For Colorado his family even informed the FBI and Local Police that he was likely to commit a shooting, they didn't even bother to check on it. The 19 year old at the FedEx facility was actually red flag last year and had his shotgun taken away by law enforcement as family reported his thoughts of suicide and it wasn't returned. He was even documented as having mental issue which should have kept him for legally purchasing any firearm as it would have shown in his background check. Again someone failed to due their job in the FBI's NICS department (Back Ground check). Noticing a trend here? Mental illness, and Law Enforcement not enforcing what laws there are. They are seemingly as useful as British law enforcement someone makes a "mean" tweet, send 10 officers to arrest the person in their home; British Law Enforcement gets a report about a gang of individuals sexually assaulting a minor, "Well it is the minor's fault for taking part in it" (Rough quote). Much like the the jokes going on about the FBI sending 30 agents to investigate a hate crime that ending up being a hoax. But hey lets not deal with the real issue known as mental health lets keep pushing the same BS that didn't work before and expect it to work now. (Isn't there a meme about that?)

The liberals yell and scream about GUN CONTROL!!!! But, so far, NOTHING they have proposed would make any difference whatsoever. All you have to do is look back in history, and you can see that everything they are talking about now, they have tried in the past, and it did not make one bit of difference. But, the liberals still think it will work "THIS TIME!".....

Actually, it was Albert Einstein that said: "Doing the same thing over and over again, expecting different results, is the very definition of insanity."

Once again, you are inaccurate with your quotes. https://quoteinvestigator.com/2017/03/23/same/#:~:text=Insanity%20is%20doing%20the%20same%20thing%20over%20and,repeating%20the%20same%20mistakes%20and%20expecting%20different%20results.

Yup, that was my take away. Seriously. More evidence you really have no idea what you are talking about. More proof fact checking is far beyond anything you attempt. An example your arguments are not necessarily based on facts.

My arguments are based in reality, the libs arguments are based on feelings, and appearances. Neither of which bear much resemblance to reality.

The misquote isn't even the largest issue. You attributed the "quote" to Albert Einstein, and that is simply not true. By attributing the "quote" incorrectly, when it is easily verifiable, you demonstrate you don't bother to check your facts before using them as arguments. And I said that above.

Your arguments are not based in any reality but the one you create. And you provided the evidence. A single misquote, improperly attributed, isn't a very big thing in isolation. But it is part of a larger pattern I have addressed with you before. You argue with half truths and misinformation.

Ah, you are quite right, it wasn't good ol' Al. Of course, if you look at the first several results in a google search, most of THEM attribute it to Einstein as well. Silly me for believing google. Had to go a good bit down to finally find the correct answer.

Well, certainly not the first time google steered me wrong.....

Yep, and you argue with insults and disparaging character. Oddly enough, a typical liberal tactic.

Just thought I would drop back in and share this. It is NOT from America's "liberal media", Reuters is in England. Consider this how America looks to the rest of the world.

Does Reuters have a better track record then NBC, CNN, FOX, and other American news? I would say so. However to assume that just because a news media organization is from another country, it is somehow above the media problem would be folly. All legacy media (or which ever word illustrates best to you, the existing media companies and systems prior to the rise of independent media and the internet) has been on the downward spiral, with journalistic integrity becoming rarer and pushing certain political views as Truth, when it clearly isn't or is easily refuted by someone with a video camera. Perception is reality, and if all of your perception comes from media, legacy or even independent, your view will be warped. Ultimately you have to look at all information available, do some of your own investigation, and arrive at your own conclusion. Which is what most of us, in opposition to the original poster, have done.

As for crossing semantics because HeyYou didn't quote Einstein exactly …. you are aware of quotes being paraphrased or quotes that even have their meaning corrupted to another over time? A prime example: "Blood is thicker then water" a good quote, and many people use it, however the original full quote was " The blood of the covenant is thicker then the water of the womb" which is also still used, but it has a different meaning compared to the corrupted version. However at this point both are in the public sphere of use.

< snip >

When one dismisses the majority of the news sources world wide because they do not report the propaganda which matches the beliefs of the reader, the reader deliberately choose ignorance. Congratulations on your choice.

As for my opinion, I have to listen to the noise and deal the the trash when my neighbors are out of control. I get to have an opinion and you cannot deny my need for you lot to understand the impact you have on the rest of the world. You do not live in a bubble.

Finally, I addressed HeyYou and her/his "facts" with her/him.

< snip >

When one dismisses the majority of the news sources world wide because they do not report the propaganda which matches the beliefs of the reader, the reader deliberately choose ignorance. Congratulations on your choice.

As for my opinion, I have to listen to the noise and deal the the trash when my neighbors are out of control. I get to have an opinion and you cannot deny my need for you lot to understand the impact you have on the rest of the world. You do not live in a bubble.

Actually, I, for one, dismiss most of the news sources world wide, because they ALL have their bias. Some left leaning, some right leaning. They report their 'facts' as they interpret them. So I sample a selection of news sources, from both sides, and "The Truth" is likely somewhere in between their positions. When news became more about ratings, and advertising dollars, than it was about facts, and verifying their story, journalism died. These days, the don't even be able to find a literate proof-reader..... Some of the spelling/grammar goofs that make it into HEADLINES...... is truly depressing.

Yep, you get to have an opinion. No one is denying you that. As for your need for us to understand our impact... I am REAL curious what you mean by that.

< snip >

Its not a matter of propaganda , its a matter of public trust. I can't speak for you, but many like me, don't like being lied to. It started subtly and has become more blatant over the years. I might hear of an event from legacy media, but after that I look into it myself, rather then trust the details and analyzation provided by others. That is my primary point, and that it would behoove everyone, to look a multiple sources, do some investigation themselves, and ultimately come up with an opinion that you, the individual came to, rather then parrot what someone else states. Also known as critical thought, which is lacking in the world, and we could benefit more from.

You appear to articulate your opinion well, where others such as Xrayy appear to just spam the links from a source and can't articulate themselves without resorting to name calling.

However it appears you thrive on snippets, that initially appear civil, but are really fancy put downs dressed up.... I could be wrong, and that is just how you type.... a draw back of communicating via online forums, where tone is difficult to gauge. It could also be a side effect of being part of an older generation (if your age posted on your profile is accurate), you are just more direct/ blunt.

As for your opinion itself.... your welcome to it. If you are an American citizen then you have skin in the game, and if you aren't.....opinionate all you want, however without citizenship status any actual policy changes, will not be determined by you, which is all I was getting at earlier. Change for good or ill has to come from the citizens of the country in question. It will be a cold day in hell, before opinions of noncitizens dictate policy in any sovereign nation.

Ah, you are quite right, it wasn't good ol' Al. Of course, if you look at the first several results in a google search, most of THEM attribute it to Einstein as well. Silly me for believing google. Had to go a good bit down to finally find the correct answer.

Yep, and you argue with insults and disparaging character. Oddly enough, a typical liberal tactic.

Let me make sure I get this.

It's google's fault you deliberately failed to adequately check your facts.

Finding your (I'll be generous here) "mistake", pointing at it, proving it false, and forcing you to do something you should have done in the first place means I "argue with insults and disparaging character".

In short, you lied, you got caught lying, you blamed someone else for your lie, and the person who caught your lie is evil for catching the lie.

Typical conservative tactic. When is your weeping repentance news conference?

Let me make sure I get this.

It's google's fault you deliberately failed to adequately check your facts.

Finding your (I'll be generous here) "mistake", pointing at it, proving it false, and forcing you to do something you should have done in the first place means I "argue with insults and disparaging character".

In short, you lied, you got caught lying, you blamed someone else for your lie, and the person who caught your lie is evil for catching the lie.

Typical conservative tactic. When is your weeping repentance news conference?

Now there is an interesting interpretation. You certainly picked the right Nick.....

And thank you for wonderfully proving my point. I looked at the first couple results google gave me, and it turns out.... they were wrong. That makes me a liar??? Really?? Generally, google is pretty reliable. (driving directions aside.....) But, in this case, Google reports what is POPULAR, not necessarily what is ACCURATE.