OBSE + Vortex = Instant CTD. Did I do something wrong?

BlueSteelRanger

Salutations,

So, my outdated BSR tail just got Vortex as of yesterday. Yep, I know, slow old gramma/grampa, right? Hehe. Anyway, I thought it safer and much more practical to start from the ground up.
So. I reinstalled Oblivion after grabbing Vortex. Utterly clean. Brand-effing-new. I installed OBSE following Gopher's video guide.

But, the game will not load. It instantly crashes to desktop.

I have tried to remedy this twice.
First time: Traditional manual download and install of the latest OBSE version.
Second time: Followed Gopher's video tutorial on Vortex.

Both resulted in the same crash.

My specs:
RAM: 8 GB
64-bit OS, x64-based processor
Oblivion version: Oblivion GOTY edition
File Path: C:\Users\User\Desktop\Documents\My Games\Steam\steamapps\common**
Mods: None yet installed
Planned mods I wish to install or use in the near future/mods I love to use:
--NorthernUI (for XBox 360 Controller support)
--COBL
--Basic Personal Hygiene
--Basic Primary Needs
--Dark Brotherhood Chronicles*
--A Brotherhood Renewed*

* I know these conflict with each other. I naturally use them one at a time. :)
Again, these mods, I have them, but have not yet installed them. I've got to get this OBSE thing fixed first.
I also plan on re-installing the Construction Set/CSE. I have a mod I wish to rebuild/continue building and eventually, share with Nexus.

** I did this because a lot of things here don't like the typical C:/Program Files.... file path.
One final note: Yes, I require controller support (hence NorthernUI) due to my blind-adaptive needs. I can disable my screen reader when in-game/necessary. These mods work/worked beautifully when I had Nexus Mod Manager and OBMM. (I still have OBMM but I'm doing this from the ground up in order to try and do this properly).

I hope I have answered all the required questions here.

Thanks!

--BSR

General comment: Never install Steam games in Documents/My Games. That folder is for save games, log, and initialization files.

Put games some place like D:\Games\Steam\steamapps\common.

Put the Vortex mod directory on the same drive, like D:\Vortex\mods.

You will be happier - long run. Avoids a lot of problems.

General comment: Never install Steam games in Documents/My Games. That folder is for save games, log, and initialization files.

Let me see. I have my C drive and an external drive to work with, but I've been told externals make games hard AF to run.

1. I have "My Documents" and a "My Games" folder inside that. Would that work?

2. So how do you repackage mods to begin with?

3. Does this apply to OBSE as well?

Again, my apologies if I sound pathetically new to this. I just got Vortex yesterday. I hadn't found out that NMM had gone obsolete (which is a shame, I had a pretty good thing going with it).

Let me see. I have my C drive and an external drive to work with, but I've been told externals make games hard AF to run.

1. I have "My Documents" and a "My Games" folder inside that. Would that work?

2. So how do you repackage mods to begin with?

3. Does this apply to OBSE as well?

Again, my apologies if I sound pathetically new to this. I just got Vortex yesterday. I hadn't found out that NMM had gone obsolete (which is a shame, I had a pretty good thing going with it).

1. You need to put steam somewhere like C:\Steam, keep it out of Documents and "My games" you don't install GAMES to those folders, those folders are where Windows puts the Save Games, and other miscellaneous settings for the games in.

2. You UNZIP them, and zip them back up properly so Vortex will extract them to the correct places. Mods that are zipped up in a folder named after the mod will install incorrectly, the ROOT of the zip file needs to be DATA

3. NO

Hm. All right, so my obsolete tail smells a possible plan.

1. Create a folder *outside* of My Documents for Steam and corresponding games (transfer Steam to that specific folder).

2. Put Vortex in a "neighbouring" folder (i.e. C:\Vortex....)

3. Reinstall Oblivion into the appropriate spot
4. Get OBSE back (which, now comes the question of how to handle OBSE). Gopher's video seems to only apply to Skyrim and later.

Hm. All right, so my obsolete tail smells a possible plan.

1. Create a folder *outside* of My Documents for Steam and corresponding games (transfer Steam to that specific folder).

2. Put Vortex in a "neighbouring" folder (i.e. C:\Vortex....)

3. Reinstall Oblivion into the appropriate spot

4. Get OBSE back (which, now comes the question of how to handle OBSE). Gopher's video seems to only apply to Skyrim and later.

The script extender installs are all the same.

Installation instructions are included right inside the zip file