Corrupted Saves

Sypron

Edit to add again: Okay, I tried to start a New game but clicking past the movie that leads to the prison causes a CTD. I'm pretty screwed here.

By "clicking past the movie that leads to the prison" do you mean you're trying to skip the movie? Have you tried just letting it play thru without interrupting it?

If that doesn't help, have you tried uninstalling & re-installing the game? It sounds as if the game program files themelves might have been messed up in one of the crashes. I realize that is very painful, especially if you have a lot of mods installed (I do), but that happened to me, & it's what finally resolved my problems.

Like schijnn, I found that moving all but the last few savegames into a backup folder significantly improved stability & pretty much eliminated CTD's. His recommendation to save before going thru doors is a good one. In some places (the IC store being one of them), I did it every single time I went thru the door, both entering & leaving, as the game seems to be especially prone to crashing there. I do think the autosave has something to do with it ... see my earlier comments on that. It's been a while since I played, so I can't remember if you can turn autosave off or not, but if you can, that might be worth trying. Good luck!

• 1 month later...
  • Replies 61
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

I've had lots of CTD when saving a game, I use many mods but none of them seems responsable after vaious testings. So I read a lot of topics on this issue thus I feel confident to give some solutions that worked for me.

1) always exit the game before loading a new save, i.e. if you die don't load a save in-game but exit and restart Oblivion.

2) Disable ALL automatic save (sleep, travel, doors, etc.)

3) When a crash on save happens, try to go to a place like Frostcrag Spire, etc., sleep 24-48 H (so all cells' buffer clean) and save the game. You can do it only if you previously disabled ALL autosave so you can fasttravel without autosave's problem.

4) optionally save the game using the console, just type: "savegame" plus the name you assign to the save

5) mybe too many items in the inventory create some problem, it seems that cleaning the inventory helps (not 100% suer of this)

Hope this helps! ;)

Ok, part of corrupted saves.. i have the issue that the internal save-counter of oblivion somehow skyrocket itself and after hitting the 25th save .. . . . poof.. every attempt to save is fail, every overwrite is deleted unless it's auto-save or quick-save (cause they don't have numbers), manual saves trough console "save XXXXXXX" work, loading from any of my saves works perfectly, just saving doesn't. i had save-games go for 50, 100 or more before, but this time it just doesn't work, and trying to load even from the save file i had before from 1 didn't fix the saving issue either.

i had to backup my last good save of my character renaming the "saves" folders to "backup saves" to make oblivion restart from 0 (since loading works, but not saving from those), after this all saving works like normal and the counter did went back to 1 . . . can someone help to guide me in how to edit the save file just in the insane counter of oblivion? or plugin that can modify oblivion's nuts-of-save-number system?

• 3 months later...
I'm not sure what's causing this problem but I recently got Oblivion off of steam with their -75% off sale last week, however after only a few days of playing (I disabled autosaves etc) My saves have all become corrupted, I use OBSE but when I load my saves OBSE fails to activate and the game freezes after 2-3 seconds after loading. It could be OBSE and Steam, it could be whatever I don't know.

• 5 months later...
I've lost over 50+ hours of game play on four different occasions. Though Wrye Bash makes a backup copy, not once have I been able to restore a game from autosave.bak or quicksave.bak by renaming. Corrupt has been for me Unfortunately - CORRUPT. I NO longer copy saves over an existing one and use console control ~savegame (savegame name with no spaces) extensively. If the tilde key ~ doesn't work to access console commands then go to - My Documents/My Games/Oblivion. Open Oblivion Configuration Settings with word or note pad. Find bAllowConsole=0 and change it to bAllowConsole=1. Save the document and exit. If console won't save then You Know You have have a problem. I'm no expert and have barely even began to breach the complexity (and yet simplicity) of the utilities and tools that have been offered to prevent this. But after losing 200+ hours after 356 hours of game play I'm avoiding auto and quick save like a plague. Save and Console Save are an ABSOLUTE warning that You have a problem if You experience any lockup or CTD when saving. But the GOOD NEWS is that Through the Knowledge of Other considerate Individuals I actually played 7 hours w/o lag or crashes till I exited the game (I'm told crash on exit is considered semi-normal)PHHHHHK. One individual suggested saving and exiting the game to desktop every couple of hours or so and boasts 1300 hours of play. I believe it so in this I say "Go to it."

• 6 months later...

Any type of save I make with an attribute boosted past 200 will cause a ctd when I try to load it. I thought it was a location issue for the longest time, until it occurred to me how many potions I was chugging in preparation for that particular area. After a fair amount of testing I'm 99.9% sure that the numbers are the issue, and was wondering if this is something other people have had an issue with..I'm relatively certain I crossed this line the last time I spent a lot of time on this game without these problems. I can't seem to find anything about it here or anywhere else, and that usually means I've missed something incredibly obvious...While I'm well aware that having something over 200 won't usually get me any added benefits, sometimes I overshoot. (haven't had a chance to see if it happens with boosted skills).

-EDIT- It IS an issue with the numbers, but it's the magnitude of effect as opposed to the resulting stats. I knew 200 didn't sound that high...

Edited by esperantoeff

• 7 months later...

I CTD whenever I save. This causes corrupted saves.

Obviously the bigger concern is why I'm CTD'ing when I save the game. I can't for the life of me figure it out. Starting a new game, the problem is gone, but I can't solve it with my current game.

I'm going to see if Streamline's streamsave does it, but I assume it will.

I'm going back through my old saves (hours back) to see if I can load one of those and if that saves okay from there, but so far, it doesn't.

Ugh. http://thenexusforums.com/public/style_emoticons/dark/sad.gif

If all I got was a corrupted save once in a while, I'd be okay with that. http://thenexusforums.com/public/style_emoticons/dark/smile.gif But CTD every time I try to save? That's a dealbreaker.

Hi, I'm currently having the same problem as Jesse_Dylan had. Every new save attempt I make ends up in a CTD / Corrupt save combo; and that's annoying as can be. It came up after I deactivated SSS.esp (Devil May Cry Combat by Aluku) in my LO to try to reload it so it would trigger, having achieved the Lv10 required to use the moves. Then I try to make a clean save, and CTD! No clue about the reason. I tried to reactivate it, to no avail; still crashing, and I can't even Fast Travel either.

• 11 months later...

Hi all not sure if my problem fits in this section but I'd like to try. My computer keeps crashing when I get to the Temple of One and the dragon defeats the Dagon...when the dragon is in the process of "freezing" or becoming a rock, the game crashes. I went back to an old save....one even before getting the amulet of kings...and played everything again and it still crashes. I can't use the pc console to complete the quest because I stay "frozen" in place unable to move. This has happened half a dozen times. I have a top notch computer (Alienware) so I know it's not my computer. Any suggestions would be appreciated!!

• 6 months later...
  • 3 months later...

I have a very strange bug.

For one of my characters only I seem to be stuck within a small area of the game. It seems to be centered around the shrine of Hircine, where if I fast travel away or move too far away the game will freeze. If walking, it will freeze near the inn to the west. If I fast travel I will either get a black screen after the area loads, or I will arrive in the area, move ten feet, then freeze. I have tried using the autosave/quicksave corruption fix, but they don't work. Unfortunately this seems to have happened all the way to my earliest save before I noticed the problem. My other characters can travel around without problem. Please help.