Time for ideas on TES VI

daventry

• Replies 201
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

Hm, if you insist: I disagree with what you said about the MQ. A MQ is in my eyes something like the central theme of the game, you should be introduced to it at the very beginning - not at level 50. In Morrowind the MQ was extremly vague and you could play for hours without even realizing there was one. In Skyrim you get introduced to the countries two central problems (CW and dragons) right at the start, including a miniature introduction into the themes of the CW. Later the MQ leads you to most of the big cities and this way makes sure you meet all the guilds. That's a much better handling in my opinion. I still managed to stray from my path after meeting Brynjolf and starting my pickpocketing career...

My only gripe with the MQ in Skyrim is, that it feels a bit short. Otherwise it was great, especially SU and the Embassy. I wouldn't have minded the kick out option in SU though, it sounded interesting. ^^

Edited by Anska

@lordanestis - unless your mod idea is for Tes VI this is the wrong place - try the Mod suggestions forum for whichever game you are interested in. As soon as we know something concrete about the new game, we will start a separate section for it also.

With 15 games already and more on the way, we do try to keep each game in it's own section to cut down on confusion. :cool:

Hm, if you insist: I disagree with what you said about the MQ. A MQ is in my eyes something like the central theme of the game, you should be introduced to it at the very beginning - not at level 50. In Morrowind the MQ was extremly vague and you could play for hours without even realizing there was one. In Skyrim you get introduced to the countries two central problems (CW and dragons) right at the start, including a miniature introduction into the themes of the CW. Later the MQ leads you to most of the big cities and this way makes sure you meet all the guilds. That's a much better handling in my opinion. I still managed to stray from my path after meeting Brynjolf and starting my pickpocketing career...

My only gripe with the MQ in Skyrim is, that it feels a bit short. Otherwise it was great, especially SU and the Embassy. I wouldn't have minded the kick out option in SU though, it sounded interesting. ^^

I thought the SAME thing about his thoughts on the MQ. Starting it at level 50? Most casual players would be totally over the game by then.

The MQ is the glue that should be holding all the other things together. I didn't think it was too short, Skyrim just seems to have problems with pacing. ( I.E. How you can be welcomed into the elite circle of the Companions after 2 missions.)

The guild quest lines were the ones that needed proper pacing, IMO. The main quest seemed pretty step by step.

If anything I'd like to see them make the MQ in the next game have level reliant quest pops. Like stages require you be strong enough to take them on....or certain events don't occur until you've trained enough, etc.

To be fair, the main issue with the main quest was that if you were not aware aware of the consequences of completing certain quests (i.e. dragons waking up again), then you could accidentally stop yourself being able to complete quests due to dragons killing someone critical to the quest (but who had not be rendered protected or essential by the quest)

To be fair, the main issue with the main quest was that if you were not aware aware of the consequences of completing certain quests (i.e. dragons waking up again), then you could accidentally stop yourself being able to complete quests due to dragons killing someone critical to the quest (but who had not be rendered protected or essential by the quest)

I like that they tried to institute the radiant quest givers options in this game just in case something like that happened. (i.e. If the quest giver dies, the quest could still be given by his/her wife, etc.) There would be someone to take over a certain NPC's job if that NPC was killed. It didn't work out exactly the same way as I had hoped, so I'd like to see more of this in the future.

The MQ is the glue that should be holding all the other things together. I didn't think it was too short, Skyrim just seems to have problems with pacing. ( I.E. How you can be welcomed into the elite circle of the Companions after 2 missions.)

I just reconsidered the MQ after I read what you wrote and I guess you are right. I am always left with a "that's it?" feeling after defeating Alduin, but if I try to put my finger on it, this isn't caused by the MQ being too short but because the final battle feels somewhat anticlimactic to me (if compared to all the other quests that lead to this point).

I agree with you on the guild-quests too. While I am totally biased on the topic, I like the way the Thieves Guild handles the players progress in guild-hierarchy best. You have to do a fair amount of jobs for them to proof your skill, which lead to some more important ones that get you in touch with outside contacts and reestablish the Guild in Skyrim. In the end, you become Guildmaster because you earned the Guild's respect through your thievery - but mainly because Brynjolf doesn't want the job, since he rather runs the place from his position as Second in Command. It's the only guild I felt remotely comfortable about accepting the title. Admittedly the progress within the DB isn't that different, but as I said, I am biased.

Otoh, the quest and hierarchy progression both in the College and the Companions felt somewhat arbitrary and I never really felt too much inclined to do their radiant quests either. It's nice that you are told that doing enchanting-legwork for the College will earn the College money and respect, but I never noticed any development.

Edited by Anska