This is the site feedback/questions section

Dark0ne

Guest deleted34304850

here's something that i am certain you've thought of

Â

But the question is why would you go through that trouble to get an out of date / unsupported file? Maybe you have a reason, sure

Â

how about this scenario.

lets assume i have a cracked game that is not at the current level of the paid for game in terms of patches and such.

perhaps there's a version of a mod that works on the current version of the game, but if you install that patch on a back level game, it doesn't work. however, as nothing gets deleted any more, i can pull down an older version of a mod that works on my older version of the game - and joy of joys i have a cracked game that has an older version of a mod that brings something to the game that wasn't there before.

Â

as i said, i'm certain you've thought of this - but that's a pretty plausible reason to go for an older and unsupported version of a mod. isn't it?

Stop trying to find holes in this incredibly well designed system.

A "well designed" system wouldn't need to step on mod authors rights.......

and would be robust enough to deal with deletions of files.

however, "well designed" and nexusmods appear to be a dicotomy going on previous..............

my post broke no TOS, why was it removed?

If you were butthurt by the beermat remark, I will rescind it to soothe egos, but it doesn't mean your design is any better though and a big part of this design relies on your user base being shall we say, technically limited?

My second response to BigBizkit's "update" keeps getting deleted so they are censoring anyone pointing out the huge flaws in this "well design" theft of files as neonsquare has called it. They claim to want to give power to folks but only after they take power from the "people" first. Man that sounds oddly famialir from a history book i read before...

as for BigBizkit supposed "test" as folks have already pointed out it takes 1 person making a 3rd party program to do the same thing without stealing the rights of authors. But hey what does the community know about getting programs/mods done right? The community aren't the ones losing out on making bank down the road when the new program only supports "premium" users for the new "collection" process to actually work fully. as the free "plebs" still have to do the download manually.

If you want to make money just be honest about it.

"hey guys we been doing this for 2 decades and its allot of work. Would you please pay to access stuff" I do patreon for things. I'll throw you guys 4 bucks a month for access to the stuff and from that money you can pay the Mod makers themselves vs trying to use some bull about donation points and make a convoluted system that is pissing in the peoples faces that supported your website for those 2 decades and going "here is your better system" as you roll over people screaming DON'T DO THIS PLEASE.

Seriously you guys are just showing how little your plan is going to work without taking what isnt yours and everyones pointing out what your doing it for money and claims of "better system" has so many holes you couldn't save a man of thirst.

Edited by maxmanatarms

here's something that i am certain you've thought of

But the question is why would you go through that trouble to get an out of date / unsupported file? Maybe you have a reason, sure

how about this scenario.

lets assume i have a cracked game that is not at the current level of the paid for game in terms of patches and such.

perhaps there's a version of a mod that works on the current version of the game, but if you install that patch on a back level game, it doesn't work. however, as nothing gets deleted any more, i can pull down an older version of a mod that works on my older version of the game - and joy of joys i have a cracked game that has an older version of a mod that brings something to the game that wasn't there before.

as i said, i'm certain you've thought of this, because you've put two years of effort into this (yet that quote above kinda betrays that effort somehow) - but that's a pretty plausible reason to go for an older and unsupported version of a mod. isn't it?

so, as you've thought of this and every other potential banana skin there is - what would be your solution to prevent that scenario from happening, that doesn't include deleting the old, unsupported mod that is still relevant to an old, cracked version of a game?

remember - you've kindly removed all complexity from modding games now, and its nice that users of older, pirated games can play along too?

People with games on GOG DO NOT HAVE TO UPDATE.

So... don't even need to be cracked. Just needs to be on GOG and you can install whatever version of the game you want, and you don't have to update it if you don't want to.

• 3 weeks later...

you're assuming that if a mod hasnt been updated its not going to work. thats not how it works. if a mod hasnt been updated, then maybe it doesnt need to be updated?

the best thing to look for on any mod page are the number of bugs that have been reported, and how long ago the mod author last responded to those bug reports. if the mod author has long gone and there are many unanswered bug reports, avoid the mod.

thats a more robust solution than simply looking at the last time the mod has been updated.

I think it's fair to assume that if a mod hasn't been updated since a game has had a latest patch that that it's not working on the newest patch. See Mount and Blade 2 Bannerlord, or any early access or new game that has a lot of patches. Most endorsed mods on that game have long since been outdated.

Guest deleted34304850

early access games obviously don't fit that model because, well, they're early access.

if you're daft enough to mod an early access game, then yeah, literally every mod made soon after the game was released are going to be pretty much outdated. that's nothing new.

early access games obviously don't fit that model because, well, they're early access.

if you're daft enough to mod an early access game, then yeah, literally every mod made soon after the game was released are going to be pretty much outdated. that's nothing new.

Yes I was daft enough to mod Rimworld while it was in early access. Also after release game patches exist. Rimworld is on 1.3 right now. So that means mods made for 1.0, 1.1 and 1.2 are not usable or in a best case scenario not stable causing your game to crash. But on Steam you can filter mods by game version.

Fallout 4 came out in what 2015? It's last patch 1.34 was in December of 2019. On the most endorsed page of fallout 4 more than half of mods are last updated way before the last patch, in some cases by more than several years. Steam may have a filter by game version(for Rimworld at least) but in absence of that a Last Update date time filter is a great alternative.

Yes I was daft enough to mod Rimworld while it was in early access. Also after release game patches exist. Rimworld is on 1.3 right now. So that means mods made for 1.0, 1.1 and 1.2 are not usable or in a best case scenario not stable causing your game to crash. But on Steam you can filter mods by game version.

Fallout 4 came out in what 2015? It's last patch 1.34 was in December of 2019. On the most endorsed page of fallout 4 more than half of mods are last updated way before the last patch, in some cases by more than several years. Steam may have a filter by game version(for Rimworld at least) but in absence of that a Last Update date time filter is a great alternative.

Just because a mod hasn't been updated along with the game version, does not imply it isn't going to work, or, it will cause trouble. That's not how beth games work.

Maybe not Bethesda, though i wouldn't be so sure, but that is how Ludeon Studios games work and it's how Taleworlds Entertainment games work (studios that made Rimworld and Bannerlord respectively). My experience is that the older the mod is, that is hasn't been updated in a long time, the more likely it is that it won't work if the game has continued to be updated through patches.

You should avoid mods for any game if they haven't been updated in years. It really doesn't matter what game they're for. And yes, mods for games like Rimworld or Bannerlord should be entirely avoided if they've seen no updates in months as it's unlikely they function correctly anymore.

You should avoid mods for any game if they haven't been updated in years. It really doesn't matter what game they're for. And yes, mods for games like Rimworld or Bannerlord should be entirely avoided if they've seen no updates in months as it's unlikely they function correctly anymore.

Exactly. Which is where a Last Update Time range filter date would be more useful than the current Date Published one on the Most Endorsed page.